BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Shirley you'd have a good handle on the opportunities before taking a big jump like this...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Current players weren't in play then.
    How to get our noses in the trough? Is the question.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    so Liz Truss is closing in on a deal with Australia but George Eustice is unhappy as it proposes zero tariff for Oz farmers which he fears will wipeout Brit farmers.

She has reassured him that it will make no difference as they are on the other side of the planet :):D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Also fun is the news that Frost is considering invoking force majeure in relation to the NIP. In other words claiming that the problems caused by the agreement he negotiated and agreed just 6 months ago were unforeseeable and outside the control of either party.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    rjsterry said:

Also fun is the news that Frost is considering invoking force majeure in relation to the NIP. In other words claiming that the problems caused by the agreement he negotiated and agreed just 6 months ago were unforeseeable and outside the control of either party.

I don’t get what Frost’s plan is.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    The Judicial Review into the Protocol is being heard in Belfast

It will take while for the Judge to publish his decision, but it's possible the Conservative government may have repealed the Act of Union.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney

rjsterry said:

Blame the EU. Blame N.I. Blame Corbyn....blame somebody else.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Sure but he’s not a politician.

I get he’s working on orders but he surely can see what’s going on here.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

I don't think he knows what it is either.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123

so Liz Truss is closing in on a deal with Australia but George Eustice is unhappy as it proposes zero tariff for Oz farmers which he fears will wipeout Brit farmers.

She has reassured him that it will make no difference as they are on the other side of the planet :):D

It's entirely possible they are both right.
  • surrey_commuter

Thumbs up for Boris as apparently he is backing Truss.

Thumbs down as it is being phased in over 15 years
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Wasn't Eustice also the one giving contradictory advice on amber countries yesterday? He had a bad day!
  • rjsterry

So she famously thinks that importing some of our cheese is an OuTrAge, but is happy to import all our meat. Obviously. Gove is apparently siding with Eustice as he can see that it will lose them what support they have in Wales and Scotland, and lose them seats in rural England. All for two fifths of f*** all in international trade terms.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

So she famously thinks that importing some of our cheese is an OuTrAge, but is happy to import all our meat. Obviously. Gove is apparently siding with Eustice as he can see that it will lose them what support they have in Wales and Scotland, and lose them seats in rural England. All for two fifths of f*** all in international trade terms.
    The claim is that what is in this deal will be a blueprint for future deals. So this deal might not be a big deal, but a future one might be.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

The claim is that what is in this deal will be a blueprint for future deals. So this deal might not be a big deal, but a future one might be.
    Yes, Brazil and the US would want similar access and the EU meat producers are already very unhappy with the deal it did with Mercosur. As a separate issue, I'm not sure anyone should be encouraging Brazil and the US to produce even more meat.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

Again it is all choices peeps. Get yourself down the butchers and buy British where possible and you will find that farmers will be unaffected. We already import a fair whack of New Zealand lamb however there are still plenty of sheep round the hills near me. Frozen meat is already being imported from around the world and I don't think this is what UK farmers are primarily competing with.

Australia is a bit like the USA in that it also has a large amount of arable crops that we don't have the land to grow or climate so this is a useful trade deal in terms of food supply. It is not all about beef albeit some people seem to have beef with the trade deal.
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Again it is all choices peeps. Get yourself down the butchers and buy British where possible and you will find that farmers will be unaffected. We already import a fair whack of New Zealand lamb however there are still plenty of sheep round the hills near me. Frozen meat is already being imported from around the world and I don't think this is what UK farmers are primarily competing with.

Australia is a bit like the USA in that it also has a large amount of arable crops that we don't have the land to grow or climate so this is a useful trade deal in terms of food supply. It is not all about beef albeit some people seem to have beef with the trade deal.
    So why is Gove, who is as Brexity as they come, set against the deal?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

I suspect it's his time at Defra giving him a bit of an insight on the impact of dropping the barriers.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

It will take while for the Judge to publish his decision, but it's possible the Conservative government may have repealed the Act of Union.

Lads,

The UK no longer exists

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Lads,

The UK no longer exists

Oops.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

I suspect it's his time at Defra giving him a bit of an insight on the impact of dropping the barriers.

I know that SC is a member of the Fvck Inefficient British Farmers Party, but that stance places absolutely no value on having domestic food production capacity (i.e., if it can be imported more cheaply, why should we bother grow it here), or places any value on how farming profoundly shapes virtually every inch of the British landscape, even the remotest parts of places like Dartmoor, as much as the places that are more obviously farmed.

I suspect that even Gove recognises the profound effect that such a trade deal would have on the fabric of our countryside.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Very likely. Also he is not an imbecile.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    Mmmmm is he though?

• rjsterry

Mmmmm is he though?

Not sure what conclusions I'm supposed to draw from these gifs. He's got lovely pouty lips 💋?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Ah i won't go into it, i've made my particular dislike of the man very clear in the past.

The guy is overrated and the narrative of him being the only bright and sensible man in the room is a) only relative to the rest of the current cabinet and b) contrary to actual evidence.
  • rjsterry
    I'm not sure I think much of him either, but I don't think he's stupid. Even if it is only relative. Truss, on the other hand.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    I always think of this - imagine if it was a Labour politician who had in the past stolen out of David Attenborough's bins and said Prince Charles was like Hitler.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4jqen4
  • surrey_commuter

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

I know that SC is a member of the Fvck Inefficient British Farmers Party, but that stance places absolutely no value on having domestic food production capacity (i.e., if it can be imported more cheaply, why should we bother grow it here), or places any value on how farming profoundly shapes virtually every inch of the British landscape, even the remotest parts of places like Dartmoor, as much as the places that are more obviously farmed.

I suspect that even Gove recognises the profound effect that such a trade deal would have on the fabric of our countryside.
    Your reply is too absolute. I see no need to both subsidise British farmers and tax foreign ones. This means more expensive and worse choice for British consumers.

We are not going to get blockaded so I am ambivalent to being self-sufficient.

If you want to have an idealistic way in which the countryside should look then I am sure many would argue that it should be returned to native woodland rather than pasture. Being realistic doing it my way will only lead to a small % of farmers going bust.

On the plus side the jams and the left behinds will have cheaper food and the metro elite will be able to gorge on world class beef from the likes of Argentina. At the same time we will get favourable trade terms in the areas that count becuase the mugs we are negotiating with are hung up on emotional industries.

• pblakeney
    Anecdotally, I have noticed increased numbers over previous years of cows and sheep in the fields when out on my bike.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

the metro elite will be able to gorge on world class beef from the likes of Argentina.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6436/Contador-doping-case-contaminated-meat-from-South-America.aspx

We'll all be popping PBs all over Surrey.