What's happened to this forum?

15678911»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Am I to understand there are too many woke people and not enough diversity?

I am reeling from discovering that other than RJST I am the only one without a holiday home
    Just to clarify. I have nothing against centre left middle class white blokes with holiday homes and good pensions, just that it would be nice to see a more diverse body of opinion sometimes. On the holiday homes thing, there was recently a thread dedicated to buying a second home abroad and another about a bloke with a double glazed shed and I thought those two topics were the perfect metaphor for cakestop.
    I am nowhere near centre left
    middle class
    white (but could not pass for it)
    bloke
    not even the hint of a holiday home

the audience is self selecting as you need to be able to have access to a computer throughout the working day with no monitoring
    You know that people can log into forums outside of work hours though right? The fact that most of the activity seems to take place amongst the demographic and times you have identified raises the question why other people choose not to? There are probably tons of reasons for this but if one of them is that some people feel like their opinions arent valued for whatever reason, then that's something that can be easily addressed. Robust debate is fine and what we're all here for but condescension not so much. it's not always overt and it's probably not even done consciously most of the time but it exists. Just my thoughts, I'm sure I'd get on fine with most of you if we were sat in a pub (or the wine bar obviously 😉)

Don't envisage many on here agreeing to meet up at Wetherspoons.
    I remember when there was a Communters/Cake Stop feud going on years ago that had been started by the Communters and I tried to organise reconciliatory drinks at the The Drovers Arms and none of the miserable gits turned up.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

I am reeling from discovering that other than RJST I am the only one without a holiday home
    Just to clarify. I have nothing against centre left middle class white blokes with holiday homes and good pensions, just that it would be nice to see a more diverse body of opinion sometimes. On the holiday homes thing, there was recently a thread dedicated to buying a second home abroad and another about a bloke with a double glazed shed and I thought those two topics were the perfect metaphor for cakestop.
    middle class
    bloke

the audience is self selecting as you need to be able to have access to a computer throughout the working day with no monitoring
    You know that people can log into forums outside of work hours though right? The fact that most of the activity seems to take place amongst the demographic and times you have identified raises the question why other people choose not to? There are probably tons of reasons for this but if one of them is that some people feel like their opinions arent valued for whatever reason, then that's something that can be easily addressed. Robust debate is fine and what we're all here for but condescension not so much. it's not always overt and it's probably not even done consciously most of the time but it exists. Just my thoughts, I'm sure I'd get on fine with most of you if we were sat in a pub (or the wine bar obviously 😉)

I remember when there was a Communters/Cake Stop feud going on years ago that had been started by the Communters and I tried to organise reconciliatory drinks at the The Drovers Arms and none of the miserable gits turned up.
    See if you'd have suggested the Morpeth... 😛
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

Pubs are opening, it's getting warmer, about time drinks were organised
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    edited May 2021

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

A Bottom Bracket/Cake Stop meet up? :o:smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

A Bottom Bracket/Cake Stop bun fight? :o:smile:
    FTFY

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

FTFY

Alcohol plus a discussion of politics and culture wars. What could possibly go wrong o:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

FTFY

Alcohol plus a discussion of politics and culture wars. What could possibly go wrong o:)
    I can see 2 possibilities:
    1. Tumbleweed/final scene of For a few dollars more or
    2. Total rabble
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

You know me, I'll drink with anyone
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

I'll let Boris and Dom know you're up for a beer...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

Will it be in Cumbria?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Don't invite any lefty socialists, they'll expect somefucker else to pay.

There you go Stevo. I've set you up nicely for your parable.
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

I'll let Boris and Dom know you're up for a beer...
    That's fine, they'd be paying
  • pinno

A bit like getting someone else to pay for decorations.
  • Stevo_666

Any parable with beer and tax reduction in it has to be good.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Should be some top bants, especially if certain banned posters turn up.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

Will it be in Cumbria?
    I very rarely go that far south. I can't stand the hot weather.

Your linkies say Exeter Wheelers anyway. You must get up early for the Sunday run.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

middle class
    bloke

Will it be in Cumbria?
    I very rarely go that far south. I can't stand the hot weather.

Your linkies say Exeter Wheelers anyway. You must get up early for the Sunday run.

I was thinking more of those people with big houses away from decent travel infrastructure. I couldn't afford a big house in Devon. These days I couldn't afford to buy even my own little house.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    The king of BikeRadar

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    This is a very proud moment for Bottom Bracket 😢
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Who cares what has happened to this forum.

Man vs Goose.

Its where its at and all that matters.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

The king of BikeRadar

Why thank you Seano.

I think it reflects all the good work I've done in Cake Stop :p Clearly more of the same is the order of the day...
  • shortfall
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

The king of BikeRadar

Why thank you Seano.

I think it reflects all the good work I've done in Cake Stop :p Clearly more of the same is the order of the day...
    I think I'm responsible for giving you most of those likes Stevo with the added bonus that it seems to have caused a sudden outbreak of bedwetting in some parts of the forum.
  • veronese68
    Bedwetting? From tears of laughter 😂
  • shortfall

Good one. I know you are you said you are but what am I?
  • veronese68
    shortfall said:

Good one. I know you are you said you are but what am I?
    From the fact that you replied I take it you are too.
  • Stevo_666
    shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

The king of BikeRadar

Why thank you Seano.

I think I'm responsible for giving you most of those likes Stevo with the added bonus that it seems to have caused a sudden outbreak of bedwetting in some parts of the forum.
    Cheers SF.

It's done wonders for my sideline business selling ethically produced waterproof mattress protectors :smile: