Man vs goose

The big polling news this week - which animal could you beat in a fight?

https://today.yougov.com/topics/lifestyle/articles-reports/2021/05/13/lions-and-tigers-and-bears-what-animal-would-win-f

Firstly why do so many think they couldn't beat up a goose? Just kick its head in, or swing it round by its feet or something.

Also, my staffie is a medium sized dog - if he decided to fight, no way am I winning that unarmed. If I decided to fight, he'd just look confused about what was happening until I gave up.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I'd like to see the 6% take on a grizzly.
    I'd watch that rather than Strictly. It is the one reality show I would watch.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    What would be considered a "win" in an unarmed fight against an elephant?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    lol who is beating an elephant unarmed.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    People honestly reckon they can have a 'roo in a scrap?

honestly?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    There are a lot of over confident people, and also a lot of underconfident - who could lose a fight with a rat?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    If they conducted the survey down the pub it might explain a lot. 'C'mon then, I'll 'ave the f****n' lot of yers'
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Consider the first five as establishing a baseline of "this is stupid" answers.

Means quite a few men think they're beating a king cobra. 12 feet long with enough venom to kill 10 people.
  • TheBigBean

I can only assume it running away.
  • TheBigBean

Firstly why do so many think they couldn't beat up a goose? Just kick its head in, or swing it round by its feet or something.

They can fly and they're vicious.
  • kingstongraham

I can only assume it running away.
    I was assuming a gladiatorial arena.

If making it run away is a win, I'd fancy my chances with a few more, one on one.
  • kingstongraham

Yes, but within the parameters of being a goose. It's not ripping chunks out of you. If you had no social norms restricting you, I bet you could take down a goose.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    edited May 2021
    Do these people know what animals like a lion, a grizzly, a croc and a gorilla actually are???
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2021

this.

heavy

big

strong

viciousasfuck

taller than Rick Chasey

well big when they open their wings so you can't get your arms round them

i ain't fighting a goose
  • MattFalle

There are a lot of over confident people, and also a lot of underconfident - who could lose a fight with a rat?

you'll need to get it over and done with quickly otherwise it'll rip you to shreds - razor sharp teeth, vicious, strong and fast as.

its basically a ball of muscle and teeth.

also, are we talking small domestic rat or wild rat as big as a cat?

lobbing it on the floor won't help your cause because it'll bounce then come back twice as angry, not sure what you'd do - you can strangle it, too small and fast to stamp on.

Normally you'd trap/poison/50 cal it, in this case, not sure really.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    singleton said:

Do these people know what animals like a lion, a grizzly, a croc and a gorilla actually are???

Have they not seen Crocadile Dundee, The Ghost & The Darkness and The Revenant
  • MattFalle

6'7, 90kg of pure muscle with razor sharp claws.

over to you - i'm out of this one.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    MattFalle said:

you'll need to get it over and done with quickly otherwise it'll rip you to shreds - razor sharp teeth, vicious, strong and fast as.

lobbing it on the floor won't help your cause because it'll bounce then come back twice as angry, not sure what you'd do - you can strangle it, too small and fast to stamp on.

We had a rat get in the house once - my Manchester Terrier killed it in seconds by biting it and shaking it violently - that's the tactic.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2021
    Terrier are good at that sort of thing however I'm not really into rolling around on the floor biting rats.

Put a terrier into a scrap with a rat the size of a cat or a farm rat/ooloo (sic) rat then its a different story I would say.
  • singleton
    MattFalle said:

Normally you'd 50 cal it,
    Priceless.. Imagine trying that in your kitchen...
  • kingstongraham
    MattFalle said:

this.

heavy

big

strong

viciousasfuck

taller than Rick Chasey

well big when they open their wings so you can't get your arms round them

i ain't fighting a goose
    In a fight to the death in a gladiator arena, I'd back you over the goose.

We need to know the stakes.
  • singleton

MattFalle said:

We had a rat get in the house once - my Manchester Terrier killed it in seconds by biting it and shaking it violently - that's the tactic.
    Is that the best tactic for humans though?
  • kingstongraham
    Are people thinking of swans?
  • kingstongraham
    Canada Goose

Mute Swan

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    singleton said:

MattFalle said:

Is that the best tactic for humans though?
    Biting humans and shaking them violently is discouraged at the best of times, especially in the current climate.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    The rat is the only one I'd be confident with the house cat a probable (emphasis on it being a house cat and not semi-feral). I'd fancy my chances over an eagle before a goose. Some medium size dogs would be OK but as above, having had Staffies they are generally very docile but if riled I wouldn't fancy my odds at all and even my 14 week old GSD would be a tough scrap, there's no way I'm beating him when he's fully grown. I suspect most people are thinking PG Tips when considering a chimp, they're vicious bar stewards in the wild.
  • kingstongraham
    You'd take the eagle over the goose?

• MattFalle

Canada Goose

Mute Swan

no - i'm think farm goose, biting, spitting, chasingfucker.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    That said wild rats give me the creeps more than pretty much any other creature (I've had domestic rats and always like them strangely) and you'd probably die later from Wiel's disease so the victory would be quite hollow.
  • TheBigBean
    There's a big difference between fighting a dog and a wolf, and a pack of them. I'd much rather fight a wolf than a chimp, kangaroo or king cobra.
  • MattFalle
    singleton said:

MattFalle said:

Normally you'd 50 cal it,
    Priceless.. Imagine trying that in your kitchen...
    Darling - the pest controller is here. Do you want to let him in?