Giro 2021:- Stage 9: Castel di Sangro – Campo Felice 158 km **Spoilers**

1235»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

It's weird how the hardest of crashes often have a lesser impact than some of the innocuous tumbles.

adopt geeky work voice:

a lot of it is to do with the big ones being massively unexpected so you remain all relaxed and literally bounce along, small ones you see coming you tense up and so the compressive forces travel smack into ypur body breaking and shredding and ripping and tearing things apart.

its why if you see something about to happen you should just chill and go for the ride - its a big thing for motorbike racers - don't fight it, just slide along.
    Dramatic crashes usually means the energy is dissipating more slowly - all that energy flipping people, breaking bikes, wheels etc - isn’t going into breaking the rider.

Same with F1 - the dramatic flipping and bits flying off the car means the energy is going into doing that and not into the driver.

It’s the sudden halts that mean the body is having to absorb it all.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    daniel_b said:

Yeah he said something about touching wheels with an Ineos rider on Twitter or Instagram (forget which), which put him out of position for the gravel bit.

Sounded like excuses to me, his posts often come off a bit like that. But from the sound of it he is under a lot of pressure from the domestic press, so perhaps feels the need to be defensive.

I just watched the English version - I'll paraphrase, but he said than an Ineos rider nearly caught Bernal's wheel, which meant that both him and Bernal went backwards a bit.
    It didn't come across as an excuse, more just explaining what had occurred.
    Interesting, since his Instagram post reads like an excuse as to why he lost time on Bernal:

• bobmcstuff
    Hope you can still read it with the BR forum image compression...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Has there been any explanation of why Mohoric's front wheel just stopped?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193

It looked to me that his back wheel slid out, then when he regained traction he was fired towards the inside of the bend and his front wheel hit a stone/rock
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

I read that he locked up.
    Just what I read though as I've not seen it. Any links?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    edited May 2021
    pblakeney said:

Definitely lost the back wheel, but his front then just stopped.
  • bobmcstuff
    pblakeney said:

I think Blythe said on the commentary that it looked like he clipped the back wheel then locked up the front in response (or hit something).

I thought he had hit the kerb myself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    I thought he hit the kerb too although it's hidden from the view of the camera.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    edited May 2021

daniel_b said:

Yeah he said something about touching wheels with an Ineos rider on Twitter or Instagram (forget which), which put him out of position for the gravel bit.

Sounded like excuses to me, his posts often come off a bit like that. But from the sound of it he is under a lot of pressure from the domestic press, so perhaps feels the need to be defensive.

I just watched the English version - I'll paraphrase, but he said than an Ineos rider nearly caught Bernal's wheel, which meant that both him and Bernal went backwards a bit.
    It didn't come across as an excuse, more just explaining what had occurred.
    Interesting, since his Instagram post reads like an excuse as to why he lost time on Bernal:

Perhaps they summarised it - here is the interview - not sure if this link will work.
    https://twitter.com/deceuninck_qst/status/1393977944750559234?s=20

In the post you screenshotted above it just says that 'I lost some spaces' where as in the interview he says 'we lost some places together' so either the article is innacurate, or a press officer realised it would be better to reword for the actual interview.

Regarding which Ineos rider it was, am I right in thinking by the time they reached the tunnel it was only Moscon who was still around - or did more than one Ineos rider go into the tunnel with him? I think the former.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Dramatic crashes are rarer than the everyday crashes we see every stage. I don't think it's more than some psychological bias that makes them seem unusually benign.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

Pross said:

It's weird how the hardest of crashes often have a lesser impact than some of the innocuous tumbles.

adopt geeky work voice:

a lot of it is to do with the big ones being massively unexpected so you remain all relaxed and literally bounce along, small ones you see coming you tense up and so the compressive forces travel smack into ypur body breaking and shredding and ripping and tearing things apart.

its why if you see something about to happen you should just chill and go for the ride - its a big thing for motorbike racers - don't fight it, just slide along.
    Dramatic crashes usually means the energy is dissipating more slowly - all that energy flipping people, breaking bikes, wheels etc - isn’t going into breaking the rider.

Same with F1 - the dramatic flipping and bits flying off the car means the energy is going into doing that and not into the driver.

It’s the sudden halts that mean the body is having to absorb it all.
    its all coup and contra coup, fam.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

pblakeney said:

Could have been an accidental snatch of the brakes, or hitting some kerb as he was close but we can't see. I've done similar twice. Once the bars catching a fence post, the other an accidental brake snatch when hitting a speed bump. Both gave me a hell of a fright but no real damage. I did a fuller somersault both times though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Could have been an accidental snatch of the brakes, or hitting some kerb as he was close but we can't see. I've done similar twice. Once the bars catching a fence post, the other an accidental brake snatch when hitting a speed bump. Both gave me a hell of a fright but no real damage. I did a fuller somersault both times though.
    tbh the roads are so rubbish he could have hit one of the standard issue Abbruzese frickin massive potholes that are dotted everywhere
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    edited May 2021
    Pross said:

I thought he hit the kerb too although it's hidden from the view of the camera.

It's not clear. Weird one . Wouldn't have him has a death grip breaker
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    edited May 2021
    The trouble with the roglic method of winning stage races the time gaps you gain don't produce a buffer if there is an incident .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I t5hink he catches a pedal - watch the big rock that ends by the pole - he stops dead just as his chainring reaches that point, and his momentum carries him up and over the bike (then the bike follows him). There's no sudden dip into a pot hole and it's hard to see the front wheel not climbing up at least a little bit if it hits something.