Wax lube on gravel?

vegas76
vegas76 Posts: 278
Question for those in the know, do you use wax lube (such as squirt) on gravel bikes in wet conditions? Is it suitable for wet and muddy conditions? How often do you apply it?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    My experience of using on my winter bike is that it doesn’t last long in the wet.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    I tried using wax based lube one winter on my commuter (specifically white lightning clean ride) and it would come off after one wet ride, leaving a squeaky drivetrain for the way home. Needless to say the chain and cassette didn't last long. Went back to wet lube but I'm very strict with removing excess so it doesn't attract too much dirt, and I'll also give the chain a wipe down at the end of each day and a proper clean and re-lube once a week.

Impossible to get away from the fact that wet, dirty conditions will wear parts out faster, but disciplined chain maintenance will at least extend component life to a certain extent.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Found wax doesnt work in the usual mixed conditions of a gravel ride, been using my trusty old bottle of Shimano dry, it actually lives in the frame bag now.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    A couple of years back I tried dunking my chain in a rice cooker full of molten wax. Seemed ok in the summer but come the autumn, following a wet ride, I left my bike in the garage for a few days only to return to find the chain as stiff as a poker.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    i use squirt but it doesnt last long in the wet. One commute on a wet day and I think my transmission is broken. Switch back to muc off Hydro Lube and its good/quiet for a couple of weeks. yes, it gets claggy but I can wipe it off/wear disposable gloves. Squirt is ok for a dry day ride - 100km. After that I'd carry a bottle with me
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm not sure that putting wax on a gravel road will help your cycling.