BB30 Crankset Upgrade

lodgey_3
lodgey_3 Posts: 29
Hey all,

Im potentially looking at getting a new crankset soon for a CAADX 105 2020 which has a bb30 bottom bracket.

At the moment i have a FSA Omega 46/36 but im looking for something in the range of a 50/34 or a 48/32. I have looked at some FSA cranksets and im struggling to find ones for bb30 bottom bracket, most are now using bb386. What would be my options for upgrading?

Also if i went from a 46/36 to a 50/34 would i have to reposition the front derailleur as im assuming it will be a large sprocket?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    edited May 2021
    If you're open to moving away from BB30, Rotor and Praxis make conversion kits for BB30 to 24mm, and after that you can get any Shimano crank. You'll likely need to adjust the front derailleur height. I've been running this set up for two years and originally did this to get rid of BB30 creaking. It's been good so far.

Here's a really good independent guide on the Rotor installation and the tools required. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rsDioMt0Y&t=173s&ab_channel=PaulSwabey
  • lodgey_3
    Onegear said:

If you're open to moving away from BB30, Rotor and Praxis make conversion kits for BB30 to 24mm, and after that you can get any Shimano crank. You'll likely need to adjust the front derailleur height. I've been running this set up for two years and originally did this to get rid of BB30 creaking. It's been good so far.

Here's a really good independent guide on the Rotor installation and the tools required. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6rsDioMt0Y&t=173s&ab_channel=PaulSwabey

Oh thats a excellent shout, i watched the video and saw i would need a bearing press, would you recommend a certain type?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I made one out of a heavy screwed rod, two big nuts and large washers. I did however get the bushings to match the bearings I was pressing in. Works a treat.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    lodgey_3 said:

Hey all,

Im potentially looking at getting a new crankset soon for a CAADX 105 2020 which has a bb30 bottom bracket.

At the moment i have a FSA Omega 46/36 but im looking for something in the range of a 50/34 or a 48/32. I have looked at some FSA cranksets and im struggling to find ones for bb30 bottom bracket, most are now using bb386. What would be my options for upgrading?

Also if i went from a 46/36 to a 50/34 would i have to reposition the front derailleur as im assuming it will be a large sprocket?

Thanks for any advice.

Not particularly mechanically savvy, so apologies if this is a stupid question but would it not be easier to just replace individual chain rings?
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    edited May 2021
    I would go with Pilot Pete's recommendation if you're good with specifications details, there are some good videos on making your own as the branded ones are pretty ridiculously expensive. They are for a reason though because the diameters and fittings are important to get a good and even press. not something you want to mess around with. I ended up with a cheaper one off Amazon. It works alright but not many cup size selection.

ballysmate: compact cranksets like that use a smaller BCD diameter to accomodate for smaller chainrings so normal road chain rings don't typically match the BCD bolt setup of the compact crank.
  • lodgey_3
    Not particularly mechanically savvy, so apologies if this is a stupid question but would it not be easier to just replace individual chain rings?
    Im not sure of this myself, would actually be a good idea and probable cheaper as well.

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Onegear said:

I would go with Pilot Pete's recommendation if you're good with specifications details, there are some good videos on making your own as the branded ones are pretty ridiculously expensive. They are for a reason though because the diameters and fittings are important to get a good and even press. not something you want to mess around with. I ended up with a cheaper one off Amazon. It works alright but not many cup size selection.

ballysmate: compact cranksets like that use a smaller BCD diameter to accomodate for smaller chainrings so normal road chain rings don't typically match the BCD bolt setup of the compact crank.

Ahh I see.
    Thanks. Every day a school day.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2021
    If the crank is one of these, then you could just change the chainrings as it is a 110BCD which means you can fit 50/34.

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    lodgey_3 said:

Hey all,

Thanks for any advice.

BB 386 cranks will fit your BB30 bike, you will just have to use some spacers on the non drive side as the axle is a bit longer.

May be an option if your bottom bracket is currently behaving itself and not creaking.