The Pro Race XC thread ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I don't think anyone knows what they're supposed to be dabber, bit of an unloved mish-mash of a few different things...

Pidcock saying his "proper" bike broke before the start so he was on a spare that hadn't been checked over so couldn't get into his lowest gear for the sprint. Not sure if it would've mattered, but....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Was a fun watch! Course and camera angles are done really well. Looking forward to Sunday. It lacks the tactics and drama of road racing though.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    ddraver said:

I don't think anyone knows what they're supposed to be dabber, bit of an unloved mish-mash of a few different things...

I guess I'd like to see less flat, decent surface sections and more potentially testing dropoffs etc. I think the test shouldn't be just about pure power and speed but also test the technical skills more... just my opinion though.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    Well again, my knowledge of this is far from encyclopedic but it has come around to the UCI (groan) giving venues something to run on Friday night for the casual fans and the beer.

When running XC and DH events together was more popular it used to be 4X, out of that then came the much-maligned XC Eliminator which was a 1-2 min lap, 4 person elimination event on XC bikes. Again though, no one really knew what it was supposed to be. Some events ran courses similar to tonights but others ran road + obstacle courses through the town centre. None of the big XCO riders really wanted to do it though as the races were often the following day and didn't count toward UCI points. But, as DH and XCO split further apart (and 4X was dropped altogether), the venues loved the extra exposure and money it brought in.

So in an attempt to create a more balanced event they made it longer and forced the riders to compete by making the points count toward the world cup and the finishing positions into qualifying for the big race which was then moved to Sunday allowing the U23 races on Saturday.

However, as you say, it's still not really clear what it's supposed to be. It's ended up as a b*st*rd child of XCO, 4X and XCE Riders would much rather focus 100% on Sunday. Wanting a tight lap with a load of beer tents means that most venues can't put in a steep climb, or a technical descent. Making a longer loop isn't so good for the casual trackside fans etc etc...
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    Thanks @ddraver That explains a lot. I never knew the background. Today was a bit of fun to watch but knowing the real skills of a lot of the competitors it seemed a bit too pedestrian to take very seriously.
    Now the DH, that's the one I really enjoy and just marvel at their skills and bravery.
    I also rather like https://youtube.com/watch?v=wKBBeRcFnDY&t=1927s

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    I remember when it was introduced back in 2018; there was a preview show on RBTV - and Simon Burney mentioned that the teams actually asked for it. With only 6-7 World Cup rounds, it was another chance for exposure - and selling the sport.

It's something that had shown to work pretty well in US MTB racing; so 20 mins of flat out racing on a less technical course. The ideal starter to the real XCO race 2 days later; with the proviso you have to use the same bike for both events.

I'm sure I read it will become a World Championship discipline in the next year or so.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    Yeah, I can see why the teams (/sponsors) like it too.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver said:

ng to be seriously slippery for the boys...

(PFP apparently all ok and keen to start on Sunday, but off to hospital for some checks)

😮

Seems chirpy tho
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    If I had that top I'd be taking selfies the whole damn time too. Hope she checks out okay.
  • ddraver
    Gonna have to give Nove Mesto a piece of my mind if it doesn't stop beating up lovely Pauline! 😡
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Bad enough to have a neck brace on, well enough to lift her arms to take a selfie ........ hmmmm.

Anyway, hope she's OK and back racing asap.
  • ddraver
    Shes up...

- @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Bad enough to have a neck brace on, well enough to lift her arms to take a selfie ........ hmmmm.

Anyway, hope she's OK and back racing asap.

Isn't the neck brace a standard precaution rather than a necessity?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199
    Pidcock and MVDP off in front at the moment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Apparently the important rider is Vlad Dascalu from Romania. He needs to come in the top 24 to open up an Olympic spot for GB/ He's 29th after two laps.
  • dabber
    Shame we can't post spoilers :)

• RichN95.
    edited May 2021
    And Pidcock has given everyone an absolute pasting. One minute ahead of MVDP in second

And Dascalu comes 17th which the commentators reckon is enough to give GB an Olympic spot (although they're not certain)
  • dabber
    Oh, we can post spoilers :))

• No_Ta_Doctor
    Pidcock is ridiculous.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Vlad currently in 17th...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

And Pidcock has given everyone an absolute pasting. One minute ahead of MVDP in second

Nice!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Vlad finished 17th so Tom should go to the Olympics
  • bobmcstuff
    Can someone explain why Romania doing better gives GB more Olympic spots?
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2021

Can someone explain why Romania doing better gives GB more Olympic spots?

From page 1 of this thread. I can't promise this is correct

From what I can tell: the top 21 ranked countries qualify riders. But then there are four bonus places for the two countries which haven't qualified that finished highest in the 2019 Worlds and the 2019 U-23 Worlds. The next top teams from Africa, Americas and Asia also qualify a place.

GB won't be in the top 21 countries. Their best bet is via the u23 race where they came 14th with ten countries ahead of them. So they need most of the those countries to be in the top 21 nations

Romania had one of those spots from the u23 race but them getting into the top 21 moves a u23 qualifying spot to GB. I think
  • bobmcstuff
    Ahh I see. Thought it sounded a bit odd...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Incredible from Pidcock! Made it look easy against the absolute best in the world.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Don't know if it's because he was lighter, technically better or just fresher, but I've watched it from the second lap onwards and it was noticeable how much easier Pidcock seemed to find the more technical sections, especially the climbs. Shortly before breaking away on his own he'd been quite badly hampered by MvdP repeatedly coming to a stop, and regularly rode sections that others were having to run.

That gap to everyone else could probably have been even bigger, too - he took the final lap a little easier, whereas MvdP was involved in a shootout with Flueckiger so didn't let up.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Don't know if it's because he was lighter, technically better or just fresher, but I've watched it from the second lap onwards and it was noticeable how much easier Pidcock seemed to find the more technical sections, especially the climbs. Shortly before breaking away on his own he'd been quite badly hampered by MvdP repeatedly coming to a stop, and regularly rode sections that others were having to run.

That gap to everyone else could probably have been even bigger, too - he took the final lap a little easier, whereas MvdP was involved in a shootout with Flueckiger so didn't let up.

He absolutely flew up one of those climbs everyone else ran up. Tbh I was worried the tree roots would nullify his climbing advantage, but no.
  • daninexile
    daninexile Posts: 45
    I picked up watching pro XC mtb on redbull tv during the 2019 season and tbh I found the womens competiton far better for some reason. Watched both races today at the same time as the Giro stage and found the mtb far better.