Shimano mix 'n' match

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
Can I use a Shimano MTB rear mech (10 speed) with road Shimano brifters?
Also, cantis or v-brakes for a CX build?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2021
    I believe the MTB and Road brifters/ derailleurs use different cable pull ratios, so no, I don’t think you can. I personally would use disc brakes for a CX build.

However, I believe Di2 components are compatible. https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/e-tube/project/compatibility.html#guide_list
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    You can run the shifters with an MTB mech if you use one of these
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jtek-shiftmate-6/
    Never used one myself but I believe they work. Regarding the brakes, mini-Vs are your best bet. Road brifters don't pull enough cable for proper V brakes.
  • secretsam

I believe the MTB and Road brifters/ derailleurs use different cable pull ratios, so no, I don’t think you can. I personally would use disc brakes for a CX build.

Thanks.
    I've just bought a cheap CX frame with canti mounts, it'll be a project / fun / hack bike, so not spending real money. But yes, I prefer discs!

• veronese68
    It'll be fun whatever, I must confess I found the canti's on my old bike dire if the rim was dirty. I got some used mini Vs to try, but never got round to fitting them. Think they might be in my spares box if you're interested Sam.
    JBA is selling some used MTB 10 speed stuff on here I see.
  • secretsam
    Happy to recycle, drop me a PM. TIA.

• secretsam
    oxoman said:

Go with the cantis and have fun, we managed for years with them.

Having had side pulls on steel rims on my first bike, anything beats that!

• secretsam
    New Question! I had a mad thought whilst perusing Shimano compatibility charts: I have some nearly new DA down tube shifters that I could use on my turbo bike, but they are nine speed*. Could I use them on a 10-speed set up, but just 'lose' a gear? I don't use the smallest sprocket much on the turbo, so that would be no great loss. I could then use the (perfectly functioning) STIs on the CX bike.

*I won't mention that I just sold a brand new 9-speed chain and cassette as part of a shed clearout...

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    If they only work in indexed mode, probably not. If they have an old school friction mode then you can probably use all 10 gears
  • veronese68
    That's a good point, my son's road bike has 9 speed DA downtube shifters and they can be switched between indexed and friction I believe.