Football stuff

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ice hockey ditches a man for extra time but the unbounded overtime that used to be a staple of the sport did lead to some very late nights. This is the biggest practical problem with it as transport shuts down.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hmmm, that VAR thing seems tad controversial...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    ddraver said:

Was offside, but I don't understand the handball rules any more, I think.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

ddraver said:

By how much? I think offside VAR is ruining the game. There's a reason the rules were changed such that level is onside.
  • kingstongraham

ddraver said:

By how much? I think offside VAR is ruining the game. There's a reason the rules were changed such that level is onside.
    Sure, but don't blame VAR if you don't like the rules. Change the rules.
  • TheBigBean

ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Firstly, I've advocated that for a long time. It should be based on torsos. Secondly, whether a decision is overturned is a matter for VAR implementation. Cricket has dealt with exactly this issue by using "umpire's call". It works.
  • TheBigBean
    Having now seen it. He was level and onside in my view.
  • kingstongraham
    Yes, with different rules, he would be.
  • TheBigBean

You're that confident with the frame rate and the lines drawn on the video? A lot can happen in one frame. Again, something I've learnt from cricket.
  • kingstongraham

You're that confident with the frame rate and the lines drawn on the video? A lot can happen in one frame. Again, something I've learnt from cricket.
    With that one, I was when I saw it, yes. There are others where you can't tell because of the frame rate and when the ball leaves the foot.
  • ddraver
    The brief glance I took of it he did look in front to me, but then I wasn't invested either way really...
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean

• ddraver
    As I say...
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    Error range of tech Is between 13cm and 30cm.

This is a longer version of my opinion.

https://www.footballcritic.com/features/var-represents-the-first-regressive-change-to-offside-in-football-history-67801-39390-79784-76863-84510-93553/181

If this was all decided in a court, a judge would need to consider what was meant by "level" when the rules were changed. At some microscopic detail, nothing is level, so the meaning needs to be interpreted.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    morstar said:

Ice hockey ditches a man for extra time but the unbounded overtime that used to be a staple of the sport did lead to some very late nights. This is the biggest practical problem with it as transport shuts down.

Sure hence another player every 5 minutes.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Moneyball = barrow loads of dosh from global broadcasting / streaming providers.

So how does moneyball arrange their product to fit with timelines and schedules if the duration and end point is elastic and indeterminate?

'Snot sport. It's product.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Eurosport used to manage this situation by continuing showing the tennis and cancelling the cycling. Bigger product wins.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Re. VAR I thought yesterday it worked perfectly. To me it looked offside to the naked eye if you freeze frame it, VAR confirmed it and it was the correct decision.

The only argument against it imo us that it kills spontaneity when you have to wait for a decision - that's largely for fans in the stadium and players though - watching a game on TV for me it just adds to the interest as well as being far more accurate.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Re. VAR I thought yesterday it worked perfectly. To me it looked offside to the naked eye if you freeze frame it, VAR confirmed it and it was the correct decision.

The only argument against it imo us that it kills spontaneity when you have to wait for a decision - that's largely for fans in the stadium and players though - watching a game on TV for me it just adds to the interest as well as being far more accurate.

Yeah, that's my biggest bugbear, it kills the excitement and celebrations. I thought it was onside too to the naked eye. I thought it was only supposed to be for clear and obvious mis-calls? If they have to to the extent of suggesting an armpit is a mm offside then it's not clear and obvious, but rather looking for any excuse to rule out a goal.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    For all the deserved complaints about VAR the penalty awarded to Morecambe against Newport County in the League 2 play-off today was a reminder of how bad decisions can be when there is no VAR available.
  • elbowloh
    Harry Kane has apparently gone missing from training for Spurs, seeking to force through a move to Man City.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Not sure what I think of that - I guess if he did have a gentleman's agreement with Levy it's fair enough but nobody forced him to sign a contract.

He has to move now though if he wants to play for a top side while he's in his prime. Tottenham do not look like a side on an upward trajectory.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • elbowloh
    Barca have announced that Messi will be leaving the club having not agreed a new deal.

City have signed Grealish in other news
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    elbowloh said:

Barca have announced that Messi will be leaving the club having not agreed a new deal.

Barca have been told they cannot sign new players or renew existing contracts without reducing their wage bill by La Liga. Subtle but important perspective difference.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Barca have been told they cannot sign new players or renew existing contracts without reducing their wage bill by La Liga. Subtle but important perspective difference.
    It's incredible how they could get themselves into this financial situation.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Barca €1.2bn in debt. Moneyball eh?
  • elbowloh
    orraloon said:

Barca €1.2bn in debt. Moneyball eh?

They certainly didn't practice moneyball! Look at the Dembele and Coutinho signings for a start. Then include buying Griezeman and playing him in the wrong position.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Messi rumoured to only have one concrete offer - from Man C.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    pinno said:

Messi rumoured to only have one concrete offer - from Man C.

A pay cut and still £500,000 a week plus a signing fee for a 34 year old who is used to having influence in team matters and being free to play where he wants. No thanks.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    The messi thing is odd.

I know he earns a lot but he’s earned enough that whatever happens it is not remotely life changing.

Why would he want to leave Barcalona (as in the city) where he is a god to move to rainy old Manchester where he has to live up to the dizzying heights he set himself with an ageing body, in a league which might take a year or so to adjust to (or not, he is messi after all) For what, a few more mill?

Maybe it is just about the money.