New wheels for Tarmac SL7

I'm getting the new Tarmac SL7 Rival and wondering what wheels to upgrade to.

I'm doing a mixture of triathlons and hilly sportives so I'm looking for a do it all carbon wheel that's not too costly. I know there is a compromise to be had in that statement.

I was looking at the Hunt 48 Limitless and then saw the Scribe Aero Wide + 50 that was lighter and cheaper.

I would be interested in anyone's opinions that have used either or any recommended alternatives?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited May 2021
    Avoid Hunts, usual suspects for better alternatives - Prime, Farsport, Merlin, Planet X, etc etc.

doesn't come with deep rims out of the shop though?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I've had a couple of sets of hunt wheels and have had no issues at all.
    However, if I was dropping over £4k on a new bike, I'd spend a few extra quid and get the roval cl50's.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited May 2021
    Roval wheels are robust, light weight and great value.

Alternatively there are some great wheel builders out there who can produce some superb bespoke wheels for you.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    er, no.

Its arguable that the OP would be better off acquiring a S works SL6 for the same outlay. Better in every real world comparison....
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited May 2021
    slowmart said:

Roval wheels are robust, light weight and great value.

This model comes with the r470 wheelset and whilst they are solid and reliable, they are not the lightest and it would be the first upgrade I would make.

Agree with you that a hand built set would be a good choice. Alternatively wiggles prime range etc worth considering.

OP hope you enjoy the new bike!

• I'd have a look at Wheelsmith, aero 38 or 50mm. Derek can build them on a range of hubs to suit budget.

I had a pair of aero 50 and now use aero 38's. Incredibly well built, light and stiff and a good price compared to big brands i.e. zipp, enve, mavic etc.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    But do they get you adoring looks at the cafe stop?
  • MattFalle
    Hunts won't so that is that question answered....
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Thanks for replies. Should have said I want to use tubeless and was put off the Rovals as saw issues with tyres coming off rims from people online when punctured.

What’s wrong with Hunt, seem to get lots of good reviews
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I'd go for the scribe.
    Hunts have cheap noisy horrible hubs (imo of course)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Value for money in terms of performance of carbon wheels is probably the lowest... you get more speed for your pounds with a skin suit, an aero helmet, aero bars and most of all with some proper coaching.
    You can buy a lot of speed for a grand, but not with wheels... that's my 2p

The real value in buying aero stuff is because it makes it easier for you to ride in an aero position and wheels don't really do anything in that respect. If you want them for performance reason, then get the deep ones... the 40 mm rims are mostly cosmetic
    left the forum March 2023
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489

Thanks for replies. Should have said I want to use tubeless and was put off the Rovals as saw issues with tyres coming off rims from people online when punctured.

These are worth a look: https://www.walker-brothers.co.uk/product/wideboy-disc-brake-tubeless-ready-wheelsets/
  • lochindaal
    How about a set of these. Way better than hunts and from wheel builder that you can trust.
    https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/borg50-carbon-clinchers-tubeless-ready-20f-24r-26-5mm-wide

Need discs but there is a 45 option for those, thanks
  • lochindaal
    Value for money in terms of performance of carbon wheels is probably the lowest... you get more speed for your pounds with a skin suit, an aero helmet, aero bars and most of all with some proper coaching.

Good all that covered but they are very cheap wheels that come as stock hence the upgrade
  • MattFalle

overpriced, overhyped, over marketed.

average hubs
    average spokes
    averahe rims
    top price

don't confuse jingoism with performance

liads of discussions on here about them, general consensus is average wheel, top price.

far better out there for the money.
  • MattFalle

You can buy a lot of speed for a grand, but not with wheels... that's my 2p

The real value in buying aero stuff is because it makes it easier for you to ride in an aero position and wheels don't really do anything in that respect. If you want them for performance reason, then get the deep ones... the 40 mm rims are mostly cosmetic

as Ugo saud re depth. exactly right.

aero means phat deep, 40s are cosmetic.
  • dannbodge said:

I'd go for the scribe.
    Hunts have cheap noisy horrible hubs (imo of course)

Scribe hubs are also L O U D . . .

• Have a look at lightbicycle wheels. I have made a few sets up for myself and others mostly on Hope RS4 hubs and have just put an order in for some more rims to build a deeper set of rim brake and another R55 but this time for a disc bike. They do full wheels as well with pretty much whichever hub you could wish for.

I've got no complaints at all about the rims (R55 tubeless rim) to date and they look and ride great.
    Otherwise, Borg, DCR, Ryan builds wheels all provide a great service and build up great sets of wheels.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

Good all that covered but they are very cheap wheels that come as stock hence the upgrade
    They're very decent wheels, with DT swiss rims and spokes and probably decent enough hubs.
    Basically, as far as quality goes, none of the options you have in mind are actually any better.
    For the sake of an argument, if you were to replace the heavy DT Champion spokes with light aero Sapim CX Ray, you'd have a pretty high end set of wheels. There is nothing magic about a pair of carbon rims
    left the forum March 2023
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

They're very decent wheels, with DT swiss rims and spokes and probably decent enough hubs.
    Basically, as far as quality goes, none of the options you have in mind are actually any better.
    For the sake of an argument, if you were to replace the heavy DT Champion spokes with light aero Sapim CX Ray, you'd have a pretty high end set of wheels. There is nothing magic about a pair of carbon rims
    Absolutely, I’ve got a few wheelsets built on Hope RS4 hubs with Sapim CX Ray spokes on carbon (tubeless ready) rims. They are superb. One pair with 60 rear 50 front and another with 80 rear and 70 front (for flat days on an aero bike). Both sets are superb. The hubs are fantastic, reliable and rarely need servicing, but the spares are all available. Same with the spokes - not that I’ve ever broken one, but easily sourced and replaced if needs be.

My builder recommended 28 spokes for the shallower set as I always got flex on stock wheels. At 84kg a low spoke count just doesn’t do it for me, but most top end branded wheels plump for lower spokes counts in order to get the weight figure down. I’m not interested in the weight, I just want strong, reliable, robust wheels.

The other advantage of handbuilt? My wheelbuilder is a friend, I have had four sets of wheels for my bikes and a couple for family members. We have a fantastic relationship and he will pop round, pick up a pair of wheels and give them a tune up - truing and tension check, then drop them back the next day. He won’t charge me for this as I have sent dozens of mates his way for wheels and servicing. I’ll usually get him to do this before travel abroad on a cycling trip, once a year. You won’t ever get this from a big brand or buying wheels online.

And the best thing? The price. About a grand for handbuilt wheels with that spec. That’s significantly better value for money than the likes of Enve, Knight, Zipp etc.

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

overpriced, overhyped, over marketed.

average hubs
    average spokes
    averahe rims
    top price

don't confuse jingoism with performance

liads of discussions on here about them, general consensus is average wheel, top price.

far better out there for the money.
    A significant portion of the "liads of discussions" seem to come from the keyboard of MatteFalle".
    There are other people with a slightly more balanced perspective.