Cervelo R5 WVD

gary_sparrow
gary_sparrow Posts: 181
edited May 2021 in Road general

Anybody got one of these and can comment ? One locally to me I’m interested in . Old now at 2013

Comments

• MrsR
    MrsR Posts: 81
    edited May 2021
    Did you get it? I recently bought the 2020 Cervélo R5 SRAM red etap AXS and have absolutely no regrets. Steady and nimble, and I am a runner who rides so not a cycling fanatic, I seem to manage an accidental Strava segment crown on each outing. Quick uphill and downhill, and a lot of fun. Lots of happy owners out there it seems.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Bit of a classic now, Gary, I'm not into carbon fibre bikes but I'd probably grab one of these at the right price.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • gary_sparrow
    No I didn’t buy it . I really like rim brake light bikes for climbing and I believe this is one of the lightest and excellent for climbing . The age isnt putting me off it’s more the price over 1450£. I’ll have to try and haggle...
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    How much?????

Forget that my son.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have the 2012 version it's a dream bike for sure, until i just changed wheels it was nudging sub 6kg, right now its got heavyish tubeless wheelset and a dinner plate cassette i also had to ditch the carbon pedals

Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

No I didn’t buy it . I really like rim brake light bikes for climbing and I believe this is one of the lightest and excellent for climbing . The age isnt putting me off it’s more the price over 1450£. I’ll have to try and haggle...

You should bite their arm off for that price, the frameset alone when new was +£4500 a good spec'd model would have been in the 8k region.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    Fantastic frameset. Rrp was £3,500 but Cervelo sold a load of them at half price, £1,750. I’ve got the vwd above and an R5 disc, both running sram etap. Both excellent bikes with the rim brake feeling a bit more nimble and not as skittish as the disc version. Not sure how much of this is down to the wheels, r-says on the vwd, 302’s on the disc.
  • gary_sparrow
    Good to hear -Anybody know tyre clearance???
    I’ve read 23mm which would be a tad unnerving unless it’s a very compliant frame
    Currently running Pirelli 25 which spread to 28 on 3t wheels

• gary_sparrow
    MattFalle said:

How much?????

Forget that my son.

Too much for complete bike ?
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    edited May 2021
    23mm tyres. 25mm will fit but too little clearance for my liking. Frame is pretty compliant, part of why it’s such a good frame, check how thin the seat stays are.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

How much?????

Forget that my son.

Too much for complete bike ?
    its 8 years old, what condition are all the bits in...... remember to factor in equal quality replacements
  • MattFalle

Good to hear -Anybody know tyre clearance???
    I’ve read 23mm which would be a tad unnerving unless it’s a very compliant frame
    Currently running Pirelli 25 which spread to 28 on 3t wheels

23mm is fine - have them on everything except the Prince and never had an issue.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited May 2021
    My best bike is 23mm, a Felt F1 so similarly stiff, but I don't feel any discomfort on long rides.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • gary_sparrow
    itboffin said:

I have the 2012 version it's a dream bike for sure, until i just changed wheels it was nudging sub 6kg, right now its got heavyish tubeless wheelset and a dinner plate cassette i also had to ditch the carbon pedals

How does it climb ? Need I ask !

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Like a monkey in crampons
  • gary_sparrow

Like a monkey in crampons