Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,735
    edited May 2021
    The idea that China is merely developing as an exporting nation baffles me.
    Global economic domination once fully developed?

Edited for clarity.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,582
    pblakeney said:

Global domination once fully developed?

China has been trying to pivot away from an export led economy to a consumption led economy for a while.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I am sure that Rem is far cleverer than me but is there not a chance that these figures are distorted by trade going through Rotterdam.

Would he calculate turnover for G4S by adding up the cash in the back of every van?
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

You are being suckered in to paying for some more aircraft carriers and nuclear weapons.

China does not even have the ability to dominate Taiwan. USA has more assets to project military might than the rest of the world put together. China has a long history of being the invadee rather than the invader. Leave it for your grandchildren to worry about.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,735

pblakeney said:

You are being suckered in to paying for some more aircraft carriers and nuclear weapons.

China does not even have the ability to dominate Taiwan. USA has more assets to project military might than the rest of the world put together. China has a long history of being the invadee rather than the invader. Leave it for your grandchildren to worry about.
    I meant economic domination. Nothing to do with military.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

pblakeney said:

China has been trying to pivot away from an export led economy to a consumption led economy for a while.
    Could they also not move in other ways. Linearly, for example, or along an arcuate path?

(I hate unecessary business jargon)
  • rick_chasey
    Feel free to rewrite it to have the same meaning minus the jargon
  • First.Aspect

Feel free to rewrite it to have the same meaning minus the jargon

China has been trying to move away from an export led economy to a consumption led economy for a while.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    Why is "move away" preferable to pivot? I don't quite see why one is more jargony than another.

Just because people use it wrongly in a business context does not mean it is not accurate in this instance.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624

Why is "move away" preferable to pivot? I don't quite see why one is more jargony than another.

Just because people use it wrongly in a business context does not mean it is not accurate in this instance.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect

Well this seems to be quite a widespread problem now, doesn't it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,478
    rjsterry said:

Ha ha, my daughter was going on about that the other day and I'd never seen that episode.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223

It's International Hummus Day today.

https://nationaltoday.com/international-hummus-day/

I worked with a guy years ago who took it upon himself to write a complaint to a supermarket literally every day because their hummus was badged as "Greek style hummus", and he considered hummus to be Turkish. It did change to "Mediterranean" eventually.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

I worked with a guy years ago who took it upon himself to write a complaint to a supermarket literally every day because their hummus was badged as "Greek style hummus", and he considered hummus to be Turkish. It did change to "Mediterranean" eventually.

I'd argue it's neither Greek or Turkish, to be honest.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    Ben6899 said:

I wouldn't advise it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben6899 said:

I wouldn't advise it.

Oh don't worry. I'd only ever suggest it to my ancient Egyptian friends.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Belarus is best avoided and it's best if the EU remains strong as a union.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I once bought a packet of minstrels and it had a couple of what could only be described as smarties in the pack. It was a slow day at work (first job out of uni) so me and work mate write a funny complaint letter about it, about how it ruinedy day etc.

I got an apology and a £5 voucher in return.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

I once bought a packet of minstrels and it had a couple of what could only be described as smarties in the pack. It was a slow day at work (first job out of uni) so me and work mate write a funny complaint letter about it, about how it ruinedy day etc.

Someone in my research group once sorted a kilo of m&ms by colour, and we had a colour each.

It's intriguing now little of the food dye was actually metabolised.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320

elbowloh said:

Someone in my research group once sorted a kilo of m&ms by colour, and we had a colour each.

Was on a course of enteric coated steroids - very heavy red pigment. Watering the ceramics the next morning (At Uni), wound my mate up on the spur of the moment.
    Should have seen the look on his face.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

Was on a course of enteric coated steroids - very heavy red pigment. Watering the ceramics the next morning (At Uni), wound my mate up on the spur of the moment.
    Should have seen the look on his face.

Blue green wee is something to see though. So was the purple colour elsewhere. Remarkable.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited May 2021
    I thought the post-Guiness black poo's were bad enough.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    I had a fluorescein angiography injection, yellow dye into the bloodstream which then gets photographed to show what's going on with the blood vessels in the eye retina. That was all fine and straightforward.

Later that day, en route to a birthday party do up north, stopped for a wee at a motorway services. Woah, that is bright bright yellow dye which sticks to the porcelain. And... exit.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

I had a fluorescein angiography injection...

No idea how you put up with them 'Loon.
    I had anaesthetic into one eye to put a plug in the tear ducts.
    They (he) failed. As soon as that needle was in the corner of the eye, I was squirming too much.
    Thank fook 'cos he retired and the new eye consultant (all the way from Eastern Europe) now runs an excellent clinic and put me on steroidal drops, night gel, preservative free eye drops and Ofloxacin. Haven't looked back and don't need plugs.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

That fluorescent one was no big thang watsoevs. In the imaging room, one of dem qualified nurses does the needle in t'arm routine, blood system does the rest, piece of pixx as the later urinal sesh confirmed.

The anti-VEGF straight in the eye injections, now they are premier league.
  • surrey_commuter
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

They (he) failed. As soon as that needle was in the corner of the eye, I was squirming too much.
    Thank fook 'cos he retired and the new eye consultant (all the way from Eastern Europe) now runs an excellent clinic and put me on steroidal drops, night gel, preservative free eye drops and Ofloxacin. Haven't looked back and don't need plugs.

was that meant to be a side effect
  • pinno

pinno said:

orraloon said:

was that meant to be a side effect
    I could get those little round mirrors to go on the handlebars.
  • rick_chasey
    So I haven’t learned this but it seems the German state has.

My old uni professor (when he was exiled from Germany) led the effort - good ol’ Juergen

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Jesus this sort of thing would go down badly in the UK!!