Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    A lot of the music i listen to is from well before I was born. I love the Beatles, Sam Cook and Otis Reading for example, even though i grew up in the 90s. I love 50s and 60s music as it was what my mum listened to when i was growing up. I chose a Louis Armstrong song for the first dance at my wedding.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • oblongomaculatus
    oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
    edited May 2021

Lol the Beatles are almost 60 years ago.

You've heard of Mozart?
    Sure, time erodes most musicians and leaves only the top ones.

Just think what 60 year old music sounded like to the Beatles when they were writing their first hit records.
    Absolutely. Music made before John Lennon was born would have been stuff like Glenn Miller. I don't think anyone from Lennon's generation would have been listening to that in the 90s.

The Beatles split up before I was born.

It's hard to imagine that swing music in the 1930s was considered by older folk to be as 'dangerous' as any later 'pop' music, and that it was seen as hastening the breakdown of decent society.
    According to Spike Milligan in his war memoirs, that's exactly how jazz in the 1930's and 40's was regarded by mainstream society.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    edited May 2021
    Young people like things to be new and different. Old people dislike change.
    Young people get old and both should remember the old were young once.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    edited May 2021

You've heard of Mozart?

Just think what 60 year old music sounded like to the Beatles when they were writing their first hit records.
    Absolutely. Music made before John Lennon was born would have been stuff like Glenn Miller. I don't think anyone from Lennon's generation would have been listening to that in the 90s.

It's hard to imagine that swing music in the 1930s was considered by older folk to be as 'dangerous' as any later 'pop' music, and that it was seen as hastening the breakdown of decent society.
    According to Spike Milligan in his war memoirs, that's exactly how jazz in the 1930's and 40's was regraded by mainstream society.

Mind you, throw one's mind back to the polite white ballroom dancing that went on (waltzes and whatnot), and then watch this famous clip of some Lindy Hopping, and you might get why it was looked on with such disapproving eyes...

https://youtu.be/ahoJReiCaPkhttps://youtu.be/ahoJReiCaPk
  • Lol the Beatles are almost 60 years ago.

You've heard of Mozart?

According to Spike Milligan in his war memoirs, that's exactly how jazz in the 1930's and 40's was regraded by mainstream society.

Mind you, throw one's mind back to the polite white ballroom dancing that went on (waltzes and whatnot), and then watch this famous clip of some Lindy Hopping, and you might get why it was looked on with such disapproving eyes...

Wish I had that much energy.

I wonder if, in some places at least, the disapproval had something to do with the race of the dancers…
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    In 25 years' time, will RC be on this forum telling people how great Little Mix were?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    edited May 2021

In 25 years' time, will RC be on this forum telling people how great Little Mix were?

I'm a dad in my 30s. I am way passed being cool. I quite like to keep up with whatever is fashionable with young people but I can't say it appeals.
  • pblakeney
    There comes a time when you hark back to your "good old days".
    You might not be there yet, but give it time...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect

I'm a dad in my 30s. I am way passed being cool. I quite like to keep up with whatever is fashionable with young people but I can't say it appeals.
    I get that you will be less anchored in the past because you have kids. But by the same token you so seem to be the cultural equivalent of someone who only takes any credence from premier league football statistics.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    I don’t get the analogy
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    pblakeney said:

Determined not ever to go there. A work colleague near retirement age, almost every conversation comes round to him banging on about the good old days and as a consequence he's regarded as a sad old man to be avoided.
  • First.Aspect

I don’t get the analogy

Football started in 1992.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865

You've heard of Mozart?

I wonder if, in some places at least, the disapproval had something to do with the race of the dancers…

That was certainly a big part of it in America. The Harlem Ballroom in New York, where Count Basie went in 1937 for the first time, could accommodate over 2000 dancers, and there was no racial segregation. Even later than that, Basie's band arrived at a hotel to find the hotel swimming pool had been drained, as they didn't want blacks swimming in whites' water.
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021

pblakeney said:

Determined not ever to go there. A work colleague near retirement age, almost every conversation comes round to him banging on about the good old days and as a consequence he's regarded as a sad old man to be avoided.
    As I said, give it time...
    Another analogy is that given time you will turn into your Dad.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

As I'm not ever going to be a parent I would suggest that is unlikely.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

As I'm not ever going to be a parent I would suggest that is unlikely.
    That is not what the saying means
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

You've heard of Mozart?

That was certainly a big part of it in America. The Harlem Ballroom in New York, where Count Basie went in 1937 for the first time, could accommodate over 2000 dancers, and there was no racial segregation. Even later than that, Basie's band arrived at a hotel to find the hotel swimming pool had been drained, as they didn't want blacks swimming in whites' water.
    General Custer who famously came unstuck perpetrating the genocide of Native American Indians left behind a widow who only died in 1933.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    The last widow of a US civil war veteran died in December last year.
  • rick_chasey

Are you sure?

1861 - 1865.

So say they were born in the US Civil war, they would be 156 years old.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

Are you sure?

1861 - 1865.

The widow doesn't need to have lived during the war.
  • kingstongraham

Are you sure?

1861 - 1865.

The widow married the veteran when he was 93, and she was 17. She died last year aged 101.

Weird story, because he basically married her as an act of kindness, to give her his pension after he died, as thanks for her and her family caring for him. But she never claimed the pension after he died, and kept the marriage a secret until 2017.
  • pblakeney
    Quite an honourable story that.
    He died content, she was too proud to claim, and nobody was any the wiser.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021
    Duran Duran - Rio was released closer to WWII than today.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021
    Double post.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pblakeney said:

Duran Duran didn't release their records. They escaped.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited May 2021

pblakeney said:

Duran Duran didn't release their records. They escaped.
    Lol. Harsh. I think they've stood the test of time, can't imagine Little Mix getting much airplay in 40 years time.
  • kingstongraham
    2050 is further away than The Stone Roses.