Buying second hand carbon wheels

anyone have experience / buying advice for second hand carbon wheel sets ? eg, off eBay or Facebook market place
slight concern safety concern

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Buy the seller.

• poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Pay with a credit card or paypal - ebay has pretty good buyer protection, and a set of wheels I bought privately using paypal was fully refunded once.

In terms of the wheels themselves, if you're worried get them to a decent LBS for a brief inspection before using them. Get them to check out the bearings and spoke tension etc - braking surface wear or damage you should be able to spot pretty easily yourself. Fundamentally wheels aren't all that complex - if they're true, without play and unworn they'll almost certainly be just fine.

In this market if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is! It's definitely a sellers market.

And if you want some disc brake clinchers, I have a lovely set for sale over in the classifieds o:)
  • Thanks for that ! Will keep that in mind - sorry I’m on rim brakes still
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Why are ypu apoligising for being on rim brakes? You don't need anything more for the road unless you deep throat marketing.

What's your budget out of interest - so much stuff out there that sometimes you don't need to look at 2nd hand.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • sub 1000 been looking at the Prime RR-V50s on Wiggle
  • MattFalle
    Prime are very good value for money - I've got the 80s

Merlin, Selcof, Planet X offerings as well all pretty good and within your budget, Chinese stuff as well.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Prime do look good value. I bought the Token C45R from Wiggle as I needed slightly narrower rims due to frame clearance.

I have also bought 60mm deep 2nd hand on ebay for tt bike, approx £300. So far I have been pleased with both sets
  • I was looking at the tokens too for a while but the shallower depth put me off a bit (purely for visuals)
    Think I will be probably go with Prime when the time comes then unless my budget can be stretched to some Hunts
    Thanks for the responses
  • MattFalle
    Hunts?

Oh dear. But hey, if they are what you want it be your money...
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    Would look at Farsports as well. Choose your own hub. At that budget i wouldnt be looking and used wheels unless youre going absolute top tier.