Giro 2021:- Stage 5: Modena – Cattolica 175 km **Spoilers**

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
Stage 5: Modena – Cattolica 175 km

Wednesday, May 12th, 13.10 CEST

Technical Info:

A pan-flat stage running almost entirely along the ss. 9 Via Emilia, on straight and mostly wide roads. As the stage passes through several urban areas, roundabouts, traffic islands and street furniture will be found along the route. Lovely!

Final kilometres
The final kilometres are raced on city roads. A brace of roundabouts and bends (3 left-handers and one right-hander) leads into the home straight (approx. 900 m), on tarmac road.

What to expect:

Mass sprint all but a certainty. One for the pure sprinters, such as Ewan, Viviani, Tim Merlier and maybe even the returning Dylan Groenewegen.

Favourites 5th stage 2021 Giro d’Italia

*** Caleb Ewan, Tim Merlier, Elia Viviani
** David Dekker, Dylan Groenewegen, Giacomo Nizzolo
* Fernando Gaviria, Matteo Moschetti, Peter Sagan, Max Kanter

Modena
Modena is a land of engines with big brands such as Ferrari, Maserati and Pagani and it has also long been known for its cuisine and is a long-standing status as a food capital.
In Modena, three words that describe the ideal menu. Your voyage among local food and wine traditions begins with a delicious antipasto of cured meats, with Prosciutto di Modena as the star attraction. The place of honor among Modena’s first courses is reserved for tortellini, pasta squares folded around a filling of pork, prosciutto, and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Meat dishes include cotechino and zampone, a mixture of ground pork flavored with herbs and spices and stuffed into the skin of a trotter. You’re also sure to enjoy Crescentine (known locally as “tigelle”) and Gnocco Fritto, either as side dishes or main courses, two delightful specialties typically served with cheese and charcuterie or various sauces. No table in Modena is complete without traditional balsamic vinegar. Finish off with a heaping serving of Vignola Cherries or Amarene Brusche preserves, made from the dark-colored sour cherries that grow in and around Modena.

Cattolica
Cattolica is located on the border between Romagna and Marche at the foot of Monte San Bartolo, it is a long standing seafaring and hospitality tradition.

The “Miacetto” and the “Bilzulà” are traditional food speciailties of Cattolica. The first is a dried fruit oven cooked cake enriched with honey, cytrus peel, sugar and middling, without yeast.

The “Bilzulà” was the livelihood of fishermen when they were at sea, a sort of
bisciut-bread they brought with them during long fishing trips. Its doughnut shape was very useful because it was hung first to the belt of the trousers and then high in the hold to prevent a wave, carrying water in the bottom of the hull, soaked it.
Interesting, no?

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    There appear to be more bends in the last 3km than the previous 172
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Boringly light winds forecast
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Maybe they’ll set a new record for highest average speed on a stage.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    singleton said:

Not if they let a solo breakaway go like Van Keirsbulck in the tour.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Wind?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    singleton said:

I doubt it, after today's exertions, and more rain forecast
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Jesus that's.... straight!

To alleviate the (inevitable) boredom, hit me with your pizza dough recipes!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Wind?

4-5 mph
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Things I ate in Modena I can recommend: deep fried ravioli pasta wrapped in Parma ham with some 50 yr old balsamic vinegar - like black treacle.

Things I ate in Modena I can recommend you avoid: beef escalope cooked in balsamic vinegar. I can see why that particular delicacy never left Modena.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

Things I ate in Modena I can recommend you avoid: beef escalope cooked in balsamic vinegar. I can see why that particular delicacy never left Modena.

Is Modena's beef-escalope-cooked-in-vinegar dish really that different from Zuurvlees, the Netherland's beef-chunks-cooked-in-vinegar dish?
    (Apart from the meat shape and probably the choice of vinegar)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

Must be a roman road that?

Yes, I see above - Via Emilia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Aemilia
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited May 2021
    The rule is you must post a picture of the dish in question.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    So 12:20 UK time start at KM0, see the break go then 3 hours of nothing happening until about 3:30?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Whilst waiting there's time to pop into one of the two Ferrari Museums in Modena and Maranello. We went to the Maranello one but both excellent.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Glad today is the day I am in the office and can't get away with eurosport on my second screen :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    jimmyjams said:

Is Modena's beef-escalope-cooked-in-vinegar dish really that different from Zuurvlees, the Netherland's beef-chunks-cooked-in-vinegar dish?
    (Apart from the meat shape and probably the choice of vinegar)
    Erm probably not, but I wouldn't be recommending that too much either - the difference there (clue's in the name ;) ) is that the Dutch one is sour (zuur) whearas this dish in Modena is a weird mixture of very vinegary, pretty sweet and then with meat. Not nice.

Glad I tried it though. Would have kicked myself otherwise.

This stuff though, *chefs kiss*

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    I once cooked a recipe for balsamic steak. Possibly used less balsamic as cooked with rather than in, but I found it to be very tasty.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Oh for a strong northerly or south-westerly wind today
  • kingstongraham
    Modena looks pretty.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2021
    Marengo and Tagliani. See you in 3 hours.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    That took all of 300m :D
  • Pross
    Forecast is a bit more breezy than the one I saw yesterday but unlikely to be enough. Hatch saying there is strong wind forecast overnight - typical!
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836

ddraver said:

Must be a roman road that?

Yes, I see above - Via Emilia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Aemilia
    We usually drive from the UK to Pescara and back every summer. On average, it takes about 20 hours driving, we normally break it up with one or two overnight stops. The drive on the Autoroute is parallel to the Giro route, today, it takes at least 2 hours in the car and it's the worst 2 in the 20. It's pan flat, not much to look at (compared to the mountains before and the swooping coast road after) very hot...and quite often there's traffic at the junctions near the cities.
  • Pross
    I can see there being a big pile up at some point with riders losing concentration pootling along on wide, straight roads.

It seems to be another day where the break aren't overly stretching themselves (possibly got away too easily leaving just two riders covering a long distance) and the peloton doesn't want to catch them early.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Pross said:

I can see there being a big pile up at some point with riders losing concentration pootling along on wide, straight roads.

You're just hoping for something, anything, of note to happen.
    Looks like a very pleasant if boring cafe run.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    Wait, what? I looked away for a few minutes and the gap is gone because of the sprint?

They going to let a new batch go now then?
  • Pross
    Break capotulated and somehow gets caught by a peloton rolling along at 35kph. I had a much needed and welcome lunchtime nap.
  • kingstongraham
    Twice as much action as I'd expected then ! What a stage this is turning out to be.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    So 103km to go and there is no breakaway...
  • kingstongraham
    No bastard wants to go hang out there for a couple hours. Hilarious.