Measuring saddle tilt

mr.b-campag
mr.b-campag Posts: 387
I've got hold of an SMP saddle that I've yet to fit. Is there an (free) app that would allow me to determine the tilt on that (presumably by putting a ruler or similar on top as they are quite a weird shape)?

TIA

B

Comments

• jimbohorizontal
    jimbohorizontal Posts: 69
    edited May 2021
    I use Bubble Level Meter 3D.

And a hard back book.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    My iPhone has one built in as standard, not sure about Android.
    It's one of the capabilities in the measure app.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    hard back book

small spirit level from B&Q for a pound
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Use your phone.

It is hardly an exact science though. I use trial and error.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Fit
    Sit
    Nudge up or down until it's right.
    In my experience different saddles need diff tilt, depending on padding, shape and bike .
  • mr.b-campag
    Ok thanks. I just think SMPs might require a bit more precision, will see if I can get on with the bubble level meter app in the first instance.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    I've had Saddle Adjust app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.saddl&hl=en_GB&gl=US installed for several years, does as it says on the tin.

The common issue is that different saddle models talk about referencing different parts of the saddle top to get flat/ slightly up/ slightly down.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I've got an smp and you are right about the unusual shape. Very comfortable for me though.
    I find because of the raised rear you have to set it so it looks like it is tilted down at the front slightly for it to be level , if that makes sense. I gave up with the spirit level and did it by eye and trail and error
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    If you had ridden round the block for 20 mins with the right sized of Allen key to hand, it would be all sorted by now.
  • Dial-it in til you're happy, then use the book/ flat top and a spirit level (I use an Android app also), to measure the angle to replicate on other bikes/ saddles (assuming you have multiple bikes you are using same saddle).
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    I use SMP - only the Composit model - and yes they are *very* critical for saddle tilt. Have one on 4 different bikes and I suspect they are all different setup angles to each other.

Just go riding and take tools to adjust. I found on all of them that even a tiny tweak in position made the difference between a bit irritating to perfect comfort.

To look at they appear more nose UP than anything.

Read this for help?

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mr.b-campag
    Wheelspinner I suspect it just looks up, because the way they're designed is, in part I think, to ensure a consistent saddle height as you move forward onto the nose. Thanks for the link, I had in mind to go back to that.

PL2 that's a really good idea to measure it once I get it right so it can be replicated on my other bike(s).