The Pro Race XC thread ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    edited May 2021
    ddraver said:

Interesting that the UCI have not banned the TT position - or even the hands on the top of the suspension fork position - for MTBers

Somebody raised that point on Twitter - and weren't sure whether it was road only. And in a mini preview on Instagram, Annika Langvad mentioned the 'susi' position.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,610
    Thanks for the tip about redbull.tv app. Found, after a bit of searching around, the XCO final. 👍
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    Seems a bit odd that one of the biggest names in the sport will be kept out of the Olympics, if GB don't qualify? Surely there's a way of Tom P qualifying based on his individual results? Seems like the rules that threatened to keep both Schlecks out of the Worlds/Olympics (2008 I think)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It's the same with the track isn't it? I seem to recall GB missing out or only having one rider rather than two in one of the women's events in Rio.
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    The Olympics is based on country participation, with spaces being allocated based on country rankings. This is so a single country can't dominate the event, and smaller countries can get places. There is always an issue where some of the top ranked individuals cannot take part as their country can only take a set number of people to the event.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Seems a bit odd that one of the biggest names in the sport will be kept out of the Olympics, if GB don't qualify? Surely there's a way of Tom P qualifying based on his individual results? Seems like the rules that threatened to keep both Schlecks out of the Worlds/Olympics (2008 I think)

The problem is the Olympics were supposed to be in 2020 and the qualification is largely based on that. Would Pidcock have been trying to do MTB at a 2020 Olympics?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gingerroad
    gingerroad Posts: 8
    A few have said that Pidcock blew up a little after his massive effort to reach the front group. I thought that too, but he said in the post-race interview that he had a slow rear puncture. Stopped and put some air in it rather than change the wheel, but had to nurse it through the last couple of laps.
    Can't wait to see what he can do next week with a better grid position and a more technical course.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    So he started with 90 odd riders ahead of him, got to the front, stopped to pump a tyre and *still* finished fifth? :hushed:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    ddraver said:

...a rare sprint loss for Nino....

Could Nino have lost some of his topend? He was pipped at the end of both Friday XCC & Sundays XCO races where in previous years I would have expected him to hold out...
    Rich
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    They must think Pidcock has a reasonable chance of getting a qualification route to Tokyo otherwise why would he be bothering?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited May 2021
    r0bh said:

They must think Pidcock has a reasonable chance of getting a qualification route to Tokyo otherwise why would he be bothering?

They being GB Cycling?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    They being GB, Pidcock and his team. He's a smart guy, I can't see him doing this without working out the pathway to Tokyo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    r0bh said:

They being GB, Pidcock and his team. He's a smart guy, I can't see him doing this without working out the pathway to Tokyo

They said on commentary that it was dependent on other nations though. We'll know in a week or so.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I'm trying not to be cynical but given BC have ignored XC racing for many years there is a little bit of Karma to this...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    ddraver said:

I'm trying not to be cynical but given BC have ignored XC racing for many years there is a little bit of Karma to this...

Not sure ignored is quite the right word. Their funding is based on results and therefore the money goes into the areas where they get results so mainly track (possibly as that has less outside factors that influence results). It's a bit of a Catch-22 really.
  • ddraver
    I meant to say MTB...

DH results speak for themselves
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ddraver said:

They've invested a lot of time and effort in bringing on Last, Richards and Short and some of the junior men. Haven't they won XCO medals in the past three world champs? That doesn't look like ignoring it to me.
  • ddraver
    Last and Richards have done it off their own and their trade team's backs I feel...

Evie in particular has been a flagship rider for Trek
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Both are still listed as being part of the GB program, almost certainly receive funding and benefit from coaching support, both fitness and handling skills, provided by BC. That will be supplementary to any trade team support, but it's still part of their overall package.

I get your point, BC clearly spend a lot more on track racing, as there are more medals to be won, but they haven't ignored XC. It's gradually dawning on them that spending money supporting the youth ranks in off road disciplines, both MTB and CX, provides a decent conveyor belt of talented riders for other disciplines too.
  • andyrac
    I think it's been the last 2-4 years that they've actually bothered properly supporting the off road (CX, XC ) side of the sport. However, having seen an article on Singletrack - the support for DH isn't all it could be.

The more success at XC level would hopefully lead to a chance of hosting a CX and/or XC World Cup round.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    edited May 2021
    So, Tomorrow the Nove Mesto weekend starts.

It's technical and it's wet! Judging from their Instagram posts, practice yesterday was in the bone dry and sun.

It'll be interesting to see how Tom P fares in the XCC - He doesn't look like the MvdP sort of big power rider who is suited to this stuff but...that hasn't stopped him before. Pidcock won the U23 race here last year so I struggle to believe he is worried about any technicality. Could be a good 3 (+) way battle on Sunday. The era of Schurter dominance may be coming to an end..?

Evie Richards outsprinted PFP to take the XCC last year but nevertheless has struggled to turn that into good performances on the Sunday. A Dry Nove Mesto course did a number on PFPs face a few years previosuly so it will be interesting to see how she goes again (didn't slow her down last year). Lecomte looks to be on another level right now though.

Nove Mesto has begun to become the centre of the XCO world over the years. The Czech crowds always bring the best atmosphere of the year and the sport has a high regard over there. It also seems to be a hidden gem of a holiday location. Good trails, beautiful -empty - mountains and cheap beer. (Me mate Dave tells me that Czech girls are ok to look at too)

The secret to Nové Město's popularity among the riders? Well, the track boasts a series of short, sharp climbs punctuated by fast, flowing descents. In short, those who race here find it an enjoyable ride despite the 4.2km course being relentless in its nature.
    The climbs are obviously lung-busting, but they're relatively straightforward. The downhill sections mirror the kind of fun, engaging trails that most mountain bikers savour riding with fast rocky, rooty descents. A flowy pump track section towards the end of the course offers the riders some respite before they enter the Vysočina Arena where the start/finish line is situated.
    redbull.com

- @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Last year there were 2 races in a mini World Cup season; Lecomte & PF-P winning the women's Elites. While the Elite men's were both first time winners; Andreassen & Avancini.

Hard to look past Lecomte, even though it doesn't have the long climbs of last week; but PF-P is probably the next best; then you've got Courtney, Batten, Neff, Terpstra, Belomoina - and I've left other possible riders out.

As for the men's; take your pick - if he's anywhere near decent form, then this course suits MvdP (were he won his first XCO win) Schurter has won many times here, Flueckinger was possibly unlucky last week, and can Koretzky back up last weeks win? Pidcock - yes he can win; won both U23 races last season - and set quick lap times.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited May 2021
    Red Bull TV has a 26 min highlights package up

Can really see why kids would prefer this style of racing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    edited May 2021
    Half way

All 3 brits in the top 10 of the XCC. PFP has slid out over a sopping went jump and crashed and has lost a bunch of time. Lecomte in front of a group of 4 looking ridiculously smooth.

Annie Last clinging on to the front group by her fingernails, Evie and Isla further back

Ah, PFP is Out :( lying down at the side of the track.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited May 2021
    Finish

lap 4/5 Lecomte and Batten leave the elder statesmen behind by sheer force of power and downhill ability. Lecomte (off-camera) lost it on the same section as PFP but didn't hurt herself and got back up, "only" losing 5-10s or so.

Lap 6 - Batten gave everything up the climb, Lecomte seems relatively happy to ride safe and settle for second on the grid (with other competition for french olympic places looking limited).

Batten wins, Lecomte rolls in happy for 2nd (and the UCI World Cup Leaders jersey), almost-Viking Jenny Risveds pulls clear over the last climb to take third. Annie Last in 4th, Indergaand and Richards 5th and 6th with a photo between Frei and Courtney for the final front row place.

Going to be seriously slippery for the boys...

(PFP apparently all ok and keen to start on Sunday, but off to hospital for some checks)

- @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Interesting changes to the XCC course; adding a few technical features, and becoming less 'gravel crit' like.
  • ddraver
    edited May 2021
    Boys

Warner has clearly been told who Tom Pidcock is :P He and MvdP both spurning the rollers. (jeez, MvdP is 26 still)

Anton Cooper gets the hole shot from MvdP. As predicted the course has dried up and so become even slipperier. TomP happily in the middle of the bunch. Joins the big names with a small gap off the front after Lap 1
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited May 2021
    Rob now learning about a race called 'Gold Amstel' and powermetres- unlike him not to recognise a beer ;)

Laps 3/4 Big names are at the front of a 30 odd strong line of riders. riding hard, but no gaps.

Interesting tactics maybe as MvdP and Pidcock probably back themselves to get on the front row after a sprint, but the pure-XC riders...? Maybe not
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited May 2021
    Mvdp attacks over the top of the climb and drags, who else, Pidcock with him. Sarrou desperately clinging on and Koretsky chases back on and the 5 get the first clear gap of the race into the penultimate lap...The roadies slow it down

MvdP and Pidcock again enter the single first after a short attack and again MvdP shuts the speed down before the explosion. Pidcock doing all the chasing.

Pidcock takes the alternate line on the descent and undercuts MvdP. Supersonic speed into the arena. Photo between TP, MvdP Sarrou and Koretsky.

MvdP looking the most like someone who's won...

Confirmed,
    MvdP
    Pidcock
    Sarrou
    Koretsky

That was fun...
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I enjoyed that. I thought maybe Pidcock would hold him off but MvdP sprint was too strong. I haven't been watching these short course races much but I'm just a little surprised they aren't a bit more technical. I know TV flattens things out but....
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut