148,166 ft / 45161 Metres of climbing in one pancake flat ride. WTF Strava

I was looking through the British Cycling Club on Strava for the current leader boards (as you do).
And I saw this ride https://www.strava.com/activities/5241801884 on the top of the Elevation Gain list.

How does Strava get it so wrong?

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Losing GPS connection, or losing some of the satelites.
    Ride can just hit elevation correction, or you can flag the ride.
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110

Losing GPS connection, or losing some of the satelites.
    Ride can just hit elevation correction, or you can flag the ride.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Hopefully, one day my GPS can F up too :)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Coming down the Croix de Fer in 2018, my Garmin lost some of the satellites and so I have a maximum speed of 460.8 kmh!!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

Coming down the Croix de Fer in 2018, my Garmin lost some of the satellites and so I have a maximum speed of 460.8 kmh!!

Top Trumps time!
    I have a recorded ride with a maximum speed of 4013.9 mph. 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    pblakeney said:

Top Trumps time!
    Mach 5! We're you getting the Tron bike in one go?!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

pblakeney said:

Top Trumps time!
    Mach 5! We're you getting the Tron bike in one go?!
    It's on Strava so it must be true. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110

Sweet :)
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    There is a correct elevation setting in each ride on Strava whereby it overrides errors like the op has highlighted.

I know a friend of mines Garmin for some reason starts each ride at 500 foot below sea level so his elevation is always wrong.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586

Nice. There used to be a segment going under Blackfriars bridge where everyone was going in excess of 1000kph, average speed.

What was weird though was that the faster riders were still getting faster times.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628

Nice. There used to be a segment going under Blackfriars bridge where everyone was going in excess of 1000kph, average speed.

What was weird though was that the faster riders were still getting faster times.
    I think there must be something that throws GPS signals off there. My old commute either by bike or train took me over Blackfriars Bridge and the route trace would zigzag out to a point quarter of a mile upstream in the middle of the Thames, and back to the bridge.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition