Giro Stage 2 2021 Stupinigi (Nichelino) - Novara **Spoilers**

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
edited May 2021 in Pro race
Stage

179km from Stupinigi (Nichelino) to Novara. Stage is flat with one minor mountain classification in the middle.

Can't find a map.

It crosses the Po Valley. This unbroken plain is the largest in Southern Europe.

Favourites

*** Ewan
** Groenewegen, Merlier, Gaviria
*Viviani, Nizzolo, Sagan,

Food

Novara is one of the places allowed to produce Gorgonzola (a cheese).

Animal of the day

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited May 2021

Stage

179km from Stupinigi (Nichelino) to Novara. Stage is flat with one minor mountain classification in the middle.

Can't find a map.

The Giro website is as good as anywhere to pinch stuff from. All their profiles and maps download here. (Not the case come the Tour and those lovely folks of the ASO)

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    What's the bird? Looks like something Bittern or heron related.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Was just going to ask the same thing
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Stage

Can't find a map.

The Giro website is as good as anywhere to pinch stuff from. All their profiles and maps download here. (Not the case come the Tour and those lovely folks of the ASO)

agree completely re Giro website - videos are really groovy as well
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • TheBigBean
    elbowloh said:

It was labelled as a bird in the Po Valley, so unfortunately I can't help.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    On Eurosport the day's break is Marco Fu, who seems to have potted Ganna on the way to a maximum.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Easiest break in history as 3 pro conti riders are allowed to go with no complaints...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Easiest break in history as 3 pro conti riders are allowed to go with no complaints...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    elbowloh said:

I think it's a juvenile squacco heron, but not 100% sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

Novara also has lots of rice fields around it – so an appropriate dish for today would be risotto (from the area) with green asparagus (in season), and a Barolo wine (also local).
    What I recall from travelling in the area, there is often mist in the mornings, the water from the rice fields having evaporated into the air the day before, and then having turned to mist in the cool of the night.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    It's depressing seeing a rider who is about 20kg lighter than you sitting on the front of the bunch tapping out higher watts than your FTP.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    edited May 2021
    So who's getting to wear blue tomorrow?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Throw your power meter away @Pross .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

So who's getting to wear blue tomorrow?

What does ptp say? Wisdom of the crowds
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    jimmyjams said:

Novara also has lots of rice fields around it – so an appropriate dish for today would be risotto (from the area) with green asparagus (in season), and a Barolo wine (also local).
    I was thinking that Barolo might be more appropriate for tomorrow, as today's stage seems to skirt around the main wine producing areas?

Anyhow, this is such a boring stage, I think it's a good time to introduce a "Drink of the Stage" segment. For which, I have two offerings: one for the start and one for the finish. Good luck with finding the first, but I bet a few folks will have a bottle of the second in the house.

“El cichetin del Niclin” is the Nichelino basil liqueur.

But for the finish, at the Caffè dell’Amicizia, a café in town centre, one Gaspare Campari came up with this:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216

Only have power on the turbo, I wouldn't have a clue what I do otherwise. I don't ride a bike much these days anyway. It's more how easy the pros looking churning out an effort that would be a proper effort for me.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2021
    Marengo is in the break and less than an hour down the autostrada, is where the Battle of Marengo (That bloke Napoleon again) took place, near the city of Alessandria. (can be seen on the stage map.)
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Only have power on the turbo, I wouldn't have a clue what I do otherwise. I don't ride a bike much these days anyway. It's more how easy the pros looking churning out an effort that would be a
    proper effort for me.
    On an aside the po valley is the easiest cycling terrain I have ever ridden .
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2021
    Ignore
  • jimmyjams

Anyhow, this is such a boring stage, I think it's a good time to introduce a "Drink of the Stage" segment. For which, I have two offerings: one for the start and one for the finish. Good luck with finding the first, but I bet a few folks will have a bottle of the second in the house.

“El cichetin del Niclin” is the Nichelino basil liqueur.

I had to look up "El Cichetìn del Niclìn"; seems it's relatively new, only appeared in Autumn 2018, a 30% amaro (bitter) liqueur based on a grappa from a local distillery, with basil flavouring and extra sugar.
    Photo is advertising it for Xmas 2020 (thus her hat)

• jimmyjams

Marengo is in the break and less than an hour down the autostrada, is where the Battle of Marengo (That bloke Napoleon again) took place, near the city of Alessandria. (can be seen on the stage map.)

Chicken Marengo, invented for Napoleon to celebrate his battle victory - when it's prepared well, one of my very favourite dishes. :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The Androni kit is amazing. There's ten sponsors on the shorts alone
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    Not a lot happening with 42km to go.
  • mididoctors
    WTF happened there
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    The sprint for the 40 km banner, not the intermediate sprint banner! Ooops!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I'm glad I didn't get around to renewing my E/sport subscription this morning and am watching this on THE MIGHTY S4C therefore not kicking myself for having wasted money on it...
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594
    Ganna can TT. Ganna can climb. Now Ganna can sprint.
    Potential new Indurain given the chance.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Raining bidons in the litter zone. Someone on the outside gets a shower as a bidon connects with a telegraph pole
  • blazing_saddles

Raining bidons in the litter zone. Someone on the outside gets a shower as a bidon connects with a telegraph pole

She looked like somebody’s grandma!
  • blazing_saddles
    3kms passed safely