BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

It's weird that Stevo can be so in thrall to a UK populist but totally fail to see the exact same thing from another leader...

He may be a populist but he's our populist. Obviously really, to all but the most blinkered Europhile.
    More of an American immigrant, no?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

A lot of people still don’t get it that Brexit is a signpost in their quest to bring down the EU.

Try seeing it through that lens and SteveO/DT make sense

Totally. Anything that hastens the death of the EU is "good" for Britain in their eyes, whatever the collateral.
    And here's me giving the EU some sound advice to get Macron back in his box, which is overall in their best interests...
    Would it have helped if they'd told Cameron to get back in his box?
    Not interested in whataboutery.
    Let me put it another way. Why would it help for the EU now to get more involved in national politics?
    I'm not too bothered really. However as the EU seems to be pretty keen on intruding into areas of national competence and Macron being an arch federalist and fan of the EU, you would think it might suit both parties.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,233

Who knew Jersey was never part of the EU - not me
  • rjsterry

It's the last remnant of the Angevin empire. Makes sense as it's not part of the UK nor France.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

It's the last remnant of the Angevin empire. Makes sense as it's not part of the UK nor France.
    Makes the dispute all the more confusing.

The thread is fairly illuminating
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

It's weird that Stevo can be so in thrall to a UK populist but totally fail to see the exact same thing from another leader...

He may be a populist but he's our populist. Obviously really, to all but the most blinkered Europhile.
    Can you really not see that you, me or even the Daily Mail are the audience for what he's saying?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Seems pretty simple, really. Jersey updates it's fishing license system, but botches the introduction. French fishermen signify their dismay in their preferred method. Politicians either side of the Channel see an opportunity to grab a headline.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Seems pretty simple, really. Jersey updates it's fishing license system, but botches the introduction. French fishermen signify their dismay in their preferred method. Politicians either side of the Channel see an opportunity to grab a headline.
    Surprised there is no mention of the fact the jersey boys sell all their fish in France and that is being blocked
  • ddraver
    Hence why all the Jersey Fishermen were on the french side...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

The thread makes out the UK gov't made them rescind the license as part of the Brexit negs - whether that is true or not I don't know.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

The thread makes out the UK gov't made them rescind the license as part of the Brexit negs - whether that is true or not I don't know.
    I read it that that bit was somewhat fudged.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Barrnier seems to be changing his tune on immigration a bit post Brexit:
    https://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/france-suspend-immigration-ban-barnier-b1845533.html

Interesting, coming from a man who was highly regarded by some on here.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Priceless ain't it?
    No doubt Brexiteers, most notably Boris, will get the blame for poisoning his mind during negotiations.
  • Stevo_666

Priceless ain't it?
    No doubt Brexiteers, most notably Boris, will get the blame for poisoning his mind during negotiations.

It wouldn't have happened if we hadn't voted for Brexit. Etc etc.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    edited May 2021
    Do you think it sounds like a good idea? It sounds like the complete reverse of stated Brexit immigration logic to me, and still not in a good way.
  • ddraver

Do you think it sounds like a good idea? It sounds like the complete reverse of stated Brexit immigration logic to me, and still not in a good way.

What do you mean, soz?

I haven't paid much attention to it but tweets I saw said he was talking about controlling immigration into Schengen..? Sounded like standard centre-right populist flirting to me.

(I get the feeling Macron will be a hit on the after-dinner speaker circuit come the end next year)
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Do you not think it surprising that the man who negotiated on Brexit behalf of the EU should suddenly become rather anti-immigration?
  • ddraver
    immigration from where?
    - @ddraver
  • ballysmate
    Another link here.

https://www.politico.eu/article/michel-barnier-french-borders-shut-pledge/

“Barnier advocating complete cessation of immigration for 3-5 years + suspension of Schengen. Ironic, because if the EU had allowed much milder restrictions on free movement of people, Brexit would probably never have happened."

Should go in the irony thread really.
  • rick_chasey
    It’s terrible isn’t it?

Amazing how far we’ve come that that is not only politically acceptable but that it is a way to garner support for a centre right candidacy.

Awful.
  • ballysmate
    Or whisper it quietly on here, is it a tacit acknowledgement that Nigel had a point.

Nigel Farage, the Martin Peters of European politics. Ahead of his time. ;)
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Do you not think it surprising that the man who negotiated on Brexit behalf of the EU should suddenly become rather anti-immigration?

From outside the EU? No. That perk is for members only.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

But has ramifications for free movement never mind Schengen.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

But has ramifications for free movement never mind Schengen.
    Does it? That’s not my reading of it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    ddraver said:

What do you mean, soz?

I haven't paid much attention to it but tweets I saw said he was talking about controlling immigration into Schengen..? Sounded like standard centre-right populist flirting to me.

(I get the feeling Macron will be a hit on the after-dinner speaker circuit come the end next year)
    Stated immigration policy of Brexit was to reduce immigration from the EU, to allow a global policy, and potentially allow more immigration from outside the EU. Whether that was the position of the majority of those who voted for it, I don't know. Barnier now says immigration only from the EU.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I can't recall anyone on here regarding Barnier highly. People did however point out he was negotiating for the EU so his actions had to be viewed with that in mind.
  • ballysmate
    In a later interview, Barnier added that France should kickstart talks with neighbors on the Schengen area and push for stricter controls on the EU’s external borders.

France can cease all immigration from outside the EU, which it is quite entitled to do.
    If Germany, Belgium or whoever accept immigrants from outside, there is nothing to stop said immigrants travelling to France, rendering the French position nonsensical.
    Unless of course there are curbs on movement especially as one of the justifications he put forward was

“There are links between [immigration flows] and terrorist networks which try to infiltrate them,”
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

I can't recall anyone on here regarding Barnier highly. People did however point out he was negotiating for the EU so his actions had to be viewed with that in mind.

Quite a few people seemed to support his/the EU's position during the negotiations, so I can only imagine they thought he was very wise and competent given that he was negotiating for the other side.
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2021
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

He is proposing stopping all non-EU immigration into France. Pretty sure anyone proposing the equivalent for the UK in recent years would have been labelled a racist.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509

In a later interview, Barnier added that France should kickstart talks with neighbors on the Schengen area and push for stricter controls on the EU’s external borders.

France can cease all immigration from outside the EU, which it is quite entitled to do.
    If Germany, Belgium or whoever accept immigrants from outside, there is nothing to stop said immigrants travelling to France, rendering the French position nonsensical.
    Unless of course there are curbs on movement especially as one of the justifications he put forward was

“There are links between [immigration flows] and terrorist networks which try to infiltrate them,”

It stops them working and living in France. I should imagine not even Barnier is talking about banning non-EU tourism.