BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Macron is an utter tw@t and once he is voted out out by the French electorate, this sort of thing will likely stop. We just need to be patient.

The downside is that his most likely conqueror is Le Pen.
    True, but she may not be as much of an censored towards us. It's more of a problem for France - and the EU. It would be ironic that the actions of the arch federalist Macron precipitated the departure of France from the EU by making Le Pen electable.
    😲
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

Macron is an utter tw@t and once he is voted out out by the French electorate, this sort of thing will likely stop. We just need to be patient.

True, but she may not be as much of an censored towards us. It's more of a problem for France - and the EU. It would be ironic that the actions of the arch federalist Macron precipitated the departure of France from the EU by making Le Pen electable.
    😲

I've no idea of the reliability of this source, but it seems to think that le Pen wouldn't be pulling out of the EU. https://www.euractiv.com/section/elections/news/bye-frexit-hello-ecology-why-le-pens-party-programme-has-a-new-agenda/
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    That wasn’t what I was surprised about.

You know a good selling point of the EU is that it stops these petty escalations?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690

That wasn’t what I was surprised about.

You know a good selling point of the EU is that it stops these petty escalations?

I wonder how many times we sent gunboats to 'monitor' a dispute with another member of the EEC/EU while we were in it...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

So the principle that two bad party leaders doesn’t lead to good governance does apply in France.

Maybe one for the irony thread.
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

So the principle that two bad party leaders doesn’t lead to good governance does apply in France.

Maybe one for the irony thread.
    Maybe, but its not our problem.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    And here's a possible proportionately response to Macrons silly games:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/06/britain-threatens-cut-france-future-electricity-links/

Quote:
    Britain is set to review its energy links with France after the country threatened to cut off Jersey’s power supply in a row over fishing rights.

A senior Whitehall source described France’s actions as “outrageous” and said the UK would have to take a more cautious view of France as an energy partner.

It is understood that Britain could seek to route future giant undersea power cable projects towards the Netherlands, which it now views as a more reliable partner than France. A source said France had “weaponised” its electricity exports.

Careful what you wish for, Emmanuel.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    The thing is the Stevos of this world get a real hard on for this stuff.

We’ve already had a Chamberlain reference. Now Stevo with the “careful what you wish for” threat.

They want the conflict.

Hell, Stevo is even ok with a neo-fascist in charge over a fairly centrist Macron as she might be friendlier to the UK (presumably as long as she’s not speaking to Patel or Sunak) and is more likely to torpedo the EU.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    I'm going out on a limb and say that I think a fascist leader of France would not be good for the UK in the short, medium or long term.
  • rick_chasey
    I’ll hazard a guess Stevo’s not Jewish
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Some French fishermen had a protest and the UK sent a couple of boats to keep an eye on it.

That's it.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

We’ve already had a Chamberlain reference. Now Stevo with the “careful what you wish for” threat.

They want the conflict.

Hell, Stevo is even ok with a neo-fascist in charge over a fairly centrist Macron as she might be friendlier to the UK (presumably as long as she’s not speaking to Patel or Sunak) and is more likely to torpedo the EU.

Sh1t happens Rick. You seem very reluctant to condemn Macron for what he is doing, despite him trying to cause trouble for our country.

Like I said, would be ironic if an arch federalist precipitated Frexit. The EU really need to tell him to get back in his box if they know what's good for them. Do you not see that danger?
  • Stevo_666

I’ll hazard a guess Stevo’s not Jewish

Nope. What about you?
  • Stevo_666

I'm going out on a limb and say that I think a fascist leader of France would not be good for the UK in the short, medium or long term.

It will be worse for the EU. As mentioned above, the EU really need to clip his wings a bit. It'll take longer for the French electorate to get shot of him.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    Stevo_666 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/05/06/britain-threatens-cut-france-future-electricity-links/

Quote:
    Britain is set to review its energy links with France after the country threatened to cut off Jersey’s power supply in a row over fishing rights.

A senior Whitehall source described France’s actions as “outrageous” and said the UK would have to take a more cautious view of France as an energy partner.

It is understood that Britain could seek to route future giant undersea power cable projects towards the Netherlands, which it now views as a more reliable partner than France. A source said France had “weaponised” its electricity exports.

I'm slightly embarrassed for you that you get taken in by this guff.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

It will be worse for the EU. As mentioned above, the EU really need to clip his wings a bit. It'll take longer for the French electorate to get shot of him.
    Macron's approval rating was going up last time I checked. I guess acting like a d*** wins on both sides of the Channel.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stevo_666 said:

Even if it is worse for the EU, it's still not a good thing for us!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    This from the Telegraph. "The British quarrel is not with France: it is with Emmanuel Macron. His method of government to play the nationalist card and to pick fights with the British wherever possible."
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

They want the conflict.

censored happens Rick. You seem very reluctant to condemn Macron for what he is doing, despite him trying to cause trouble for our country.

Like I said, would be ironic if an arch federalist precipitated Frexit. The EU really need to tell him to get back in his box if they know what's good for them. Do you not see that danger?
    Earlier in the thread:

Oh mate it's not taking sides. Relax.

The whole thing is ridiculous and avoidable.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    A lot of people still don’t get it that Brexit is a signpost in their quest to bring down the EU.

Try seeing it through that lens and SteveO/DT make sense
  • rick_chasey

A lot of people still don’t get it that Brexit is a signpost in their quest to bring down the EU.

Totally. Anything that hastens the death of the EU is "good" for Britain in their eyes, whatever the collateral.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Quote:

One silly threat deserves another. Dont you think?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Quote:

I'm just surprised Johnson managed to get through the day without some reference to Agincourt. Johnson, Sturgeon and Macron are peas in a flag-waving populist pod.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Quote:

I'm just surprised Johnson managed to get through the day without some reference to Agincourt. Johnson, Sturgeon and Macron are peas in a flag-waving populist pod.
    I think that Boris and the UK government have been quite restrained in their utterances towards both the EU and France over the last two years. If we were to put an independent review on the utterances on both sides they would not be coming back with the onus on the UK.
  • Stevo_666

Totally. Anything that hastens the death of the EU is "good" for Britain in their eyes, whatever the collateral.
    And here's me giving the EU some sound advice to get Macron back in his box, which is overall in their best interests...
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

And here's me giving the EU some sound advice to get Macron back in his box, which is overall in their best interests...
    Would it have helped if they'd told Cameron to get back in his box?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Not interested in whataboutery.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not interested in whataboutery.
    Let me put it another way. Why would it help for the EU now to get more involved in national politics?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It's weird that Stevo can be so in thrall to a UK populist but totally fail to see the exact same thing from another leader...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    ddraver said:

It's weird that Stevo can be so in thrall to a UK populist but totally fail to see the exact same thing from another leader...

He may be a populist but he's our populist. Obviously really, to all but the most blinkered Europhile.