Cafe Stop Warmth Suggestions

phil485
phil485 Posts: 364
So my wife is going to get back into group riding but our local club do tend to stop mid ride for a coffee. As its still outside seating and she does feel the cold she's asked me to research some sort of warm top layer that she can put on for the stop.

So any suggestions for a warm / insulated jacket or gilet that are packable into a pocket??

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Hot water bottle? Ask the cafe to fill it up, and tuck it under the jumper whilst sat outside. She'll be the envy of the club!
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    Endura do a good quilted gilet, not sure of any others but likely most would be a bit bulky for a back pocket.

Alternative would be handwarmers that can be cracked and placed inside the jersey whilst sitting?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    A decent suggestion on a GCN video was to carry a spare ultralight base layer vest. When you get to the cafe head straight into the bogs and swap over your base layer for the spare one. Makes quite a difference as you avoid that cold, clammy feeling as your sweat slowly dries.

For an outer layer, have a look at anything with Polartec Alpha - you won't do much better in terms of warmth vs weight/packability. I have the Rapha Brevet one which has been great recently for these cold mornings and chilly outdoor cafe stops.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    One of those packable puffa/parka type gilet things - they pretty much all pacl down into a pocket. Check out the one from Uniqlo
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

One of those packable puffa/parka type gilet things - they pretty much all pacl down into a pocket. Check out the one from Uniqlo

The uniqlo gilet definitely packs down small into its own little internal pocket, easily fits in a back pocket (though you won't get much, if anything else in there with it), and is only £40, though cheaper if you look out for offers.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Are you follow me because I didn't wave back?
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    The base layer suggestions works well, but also a bar bag (currently trendy) and your brand nanopuff jacket.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Lightweight, packable windproof jacket, as long as it’s not raining. It’s amazing just how good they are at keeping you warm on a stop for 45mins to an hour. Obviously they pack down to easily fit a jersey pocket.

Also, a really lightweight beanie hat which takes virtually no room in a pocket. Here’s a few examples - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/socks-gloves-mitts-hats-c151/hats-c154 I have a Haglofs one (older, different style to the one listed) which is terrific for short outdoor stops.

And I am a massive fan of Meraklon liner gloves. For six quid a pair they are exceptional. I first bought a pair 30 years ago when I was in the Army - a really lightweight pair of gloves which took up no room, just to keep the fingers working when you don’t want a full on ski glove type bulky pair on. I now use one pair down to about 5 degrees, then if dry weather I will double them up, or add a windproof outer glove, and if wet add a single outer waterproof shell glove. If below 5 degrees I double them up and use a waterproof outer - they are still less bulky than some full winter gloves! One pair for a cafe stop is perfect, especially if she has a bulky pair of winter gloves that she will be riding in - ideally you want the bulky pair off to eat your cake and drink your coffee!!!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Are you follow me because I didn't wave back?

Yep, I'll catch up with you soon for that fight. Slow down a bit? I'm blowing a bit...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    If it's for the stop only then non-cycling gear could be a good bet like others have suggested - something like this maybe https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZhuiKun-Womens-Lightweight-Packable-Jackets/dp/B077JN6ZDD/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W36XPMWTSRNDRRFD2436

It will also make a big difference if you can make sure she is given a good spot at the cafe stop. Get her out of the wind and into the sun - if there is any sun.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Is it always the same cafe? Come to an arrangement with cafe staff to keep a jacket etc. permanently there.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

Is it always the same cafe? Come to an arrangement with cafe staff to keep a jacket etc. permanently there.

Or see if the cafe has blankets available - many are, as are pubs due to the outdoor restrictions. Thing is, it is all going to change in 10 days time and she will be able to sit indoors!
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707
    In addition to some of the above suggestions (esp. the beanie hat - or a helmet-inner-cap - and possibly the base layer idea), I recommend taking along a lightweight buff/snood.
    Both a buff and a cap can also come in, if it later turns colder when underway, i.e. wearing them when riding.
    A cap/hat is important if the group like to remove their helmets at the outdoor cafe; a lot of heat is lost through the head.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    I'm a big fan of merino wool - either as the material for the cycling top itself, or as an extra layer to carry. Even the thin lightweight ones are magic, they really do exactly what they say, they feel cool when you're hot, and warm when you're not.

Otherwise, as others have said above, a thin windproof jacket makes a big difference when you're a bit sweaty.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Thanks all, thin gilet is on order. Just want to make sure she is happy on the first few rides.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    We use really thin silk tops that pack down to nothing but are surprisingly warm.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    https://www.galibier.cc/product/izoard-insulated-gilet/

These are nice, though don't roll down super small.