Rude cyclist who seem to think they are Pros and ignore you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Its funny though, because out here in the sticks almost everyone says hello unless there's something about the road situation that takes precedence, even if it is a strained "I'm in a tunnel of pain" nod. And the poker face "must not show weakness" or "I'm training not here for fun" types really irritate me.

Most likely this is because I don't have anything else pressing to be irritated about at that moment.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    The ones that REALLY get my flucking goat are the ones that take advantage of a draft without a word of greeting then merrily zoom past, again without a word. They're really annoying. Especially since I don't even ride that fast. They could easily sail past without the wheel sucking.

Think I need a mirror or something so that I know they're there. Anyone got any suggestions?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have just read that there is now 6.3 million people cycling once a week in the UK. So there’s f*ck all chance of me waving to 900,000 every time I go for a ride.
  • First.Aspect
    webboo said:

I have just read that there is now 6.3 million people cycling once a week in the UK. So there’s f*ck all chance of me waving to 900,000 every time I go for a ride.

What odds there is a company somewhere on kickstarer that has designed a bluetooth and USB "saying hello" device?
  • johngti
    webboo said:

Snob.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    seanoconn said:

willdbell said:

This is important and says a lot about folk too.. Acknowledgement of fellow cyclists should be something that is preserved at all costs as it’s only a good thing and encouraging all round... unfortunately we live in a self obsessed world where it’s all about me, myself and I.. And that’s to our detriment, but some folk whom are obviously wrapped up in themselves dont see any kind of issue

Preserved at all costs?

What the hell are you on about?

Of all the things to be to be preserved at all costs, waving at total strangers should be so far down the list as to be on the list of 'things to be eradicated at all costs'.

Jesus Christ how do you people function if you're so upset about strangers not waving to you.
    I wouldn’t wave at you Shirley.
    I would, and when he didn't wave back, I'd pull a quick U-turn, chase him down, and ask him why the hell not. Bike-mounted fisticuffs or lobbing of bidons might then ensue because someone not waving/nodding/grinning at me in return to my cheery greeting is cause for a duel, as my honour has been gravely impugned. Have at ye, ye varmint, miscreant, ne'er-do-well blackguard!

Or I'd just cycle on, thinking nothing of it.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited May 2021
    johngti said:

The ones that REALLY get my flucking goat are the ones that take advantage of a draft without a word of greeting then merrily zoom past, again without a word. They're really annoying. Especially since I don't even ride that fast. They could easily sail past without the wheel sucking.

Think I need a mirror or something so that I know they're there. Anyone got any suggestions?

why do people draft?

especially if you have disc brakes and the person drafting has rim brakes surely its dangerous?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

why do people draft?

especially if you have disc brakes and the person drafting has rim brakes surely its dangerous?
    exactly, MF. Nail, head.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

willdbell said:

This is important and says a lot about folk too.. Acknowledgement of fellow cyclists should be something that is preserved at all costs as it’s only a good thing and encouraging all round... unfortunately we live in a self obsessed world where it’s all about me, myself and I.. And that’s to our detriment, but some folk whom are obviously wrapped up in themselves dont see any kind of issue

Preserved at all costs?

Of all the things to be to be preserved at all costs, waving at total strangers should be so far down the list as to be on the list of 'things to be eradicated at all costs'.

Jesus Christ how do you people function if you're so upset about strangers not waving to you.
    I would, and when he didn't wave back, I'd pull a quick U-turn, chase him down, and ask him why the hell not. Bike-mounted fisticuffs or lobbing of bidons might then ensue because someone not waving/nodding/grinning at me in return to my cheery greeting is cause for a duel, as my honour has been gravely impugned. Have at ye, ye varmint, miscreant, ne'er-do-well blackguard!

So long as we don't have to wave goodbye when it's all over.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

willdbell said:

Preserved at all costs?

We do though. Cycling is waving, and waving is cycling. Without one, the other is nothing.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    edited May 2021

Onegear said:

I think this standard needs to be dropped at least in the city. I see hundreds of riders in London on the weekend. I cant wave at everyone and maintain safety.

In the country side... Get over it. Some ppl are just in their own headspace. We're not out in the countryside riding quiet lanes looking for social interaction.

If I walk around in a town centre, I don't say hello to everyone.

If I go for a walk in the countryside and pass someone, I do, because its weird not to.

So don't be weird, eh?
    Im a waver in the countryside on an easy day, but if im doing intervals or coming off one, i probably wouldnt see my own mother on the other side of the road. I think some leeway should be given for that, sometimes i pass people and it doesnt register to wave until after if youre focused keeping control.

The only people who should be shamed are those who stare at you for more than two seconds and not wave. Now thats weird.

And where I come from, we're known to be a friendly bunch, so any weirdness i have Ive picked up from you lot ;)
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    My roundabout point is - if someone doesn't wave back - they aren't anything that the OP that described them as.

Waving is a nice thing to do and it's pleasant to receive one back. To not wave is normal - not evidence of a self-obsessed, rude, arrogant, tryhard or whatever.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Onegear said:

The only people who should be shamed are those who stare at you for more than two seconds and not wave. Now thats weird.

Not been in Holland much then?
  • Onegear
    orraloon said:

Onegear said:

No need I live in London
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

willdbell said:

Preserved at all costs?

Taser is appropriate in this circumstance. The friendly wave must be preserved AT ALL COSTS. No deterrent against being impolite is too much.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    What about joggers?

I was out for a run this morning said "morning" to an approaching cyclist and he completely ignored me.

I felt discriminated against!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Maybe these non-waivers are pressing the waive button on their bar-mounted mobile runnning the Zwift Companion app. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Onegear
    Great idea, im just gonna start yelling RIDE ON whenever i see someone. Better yet, ill make a horn that does it for me. Crowdfund me?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    womack said:

What about joggers?

I was out for a run this morning said "morning" to an approaching cyclist and he completely ignored me.

I felt discriminated against!

Did you tell him that you are also a cyclists and the cyclists wave must be preserved at all costs? Maybe carry a megaphone when you go running, that way you can start the explanation from further back and they have no excuse for not hearing you.
    But what if they are wearing headphones? Maybe we should start a thread about that as well. This is getting far too complicated.
  • MattFalle

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

willdbell said:

Preserved at all costs?

it ain't over 'til its over...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

willdbell said:

Preserved at all costs?

it ain't over 'til its over...
    Ok Lenny
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    Onegear said:

orraloon said:

Onegear said:

No need I live in London
    Are you in Dynamo?

If not, why not?
  • kingstongraham
    Hello
  • MattFalle
    Hi!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Is a nod sufficient?
  • Onegear
    MattFalle said:

Onegear said:

orraloon said:

Onegear said:

No need I live in London
    Are you in Dynamo?

If not, why not?
    No invite, so im just PRing richmond park laps until get noticed
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    johngti said:

I need to add 'mirrors' to my wave-not-to-be-returned list
    Insert bike here:
  • First.Aspect
    Am I the only person who carries a cowbel to encourage other cyclists?
  • kingstongraham
    MattFalle said:

Hi!

Cheers, the rest of you need tasering.