Rude cyclist who seem to think they are Pros and ignore you

Kaiser Sose
Kaiser Sose Posts: 90
edited May 2021 in Road general
..sure many guys are great, friendly and helpful. But I cant help but notice there are a great deal of utter nobs when it comes to cycling - forgive my tone. I said hello on my 30 mile ride earlier to about 20 cyclists who were pottering along and never even said hello back or in any way acknowledged my wave to a fellow cyclist. Other did of course. Couple of mates say likewise.

Rude people and I suppose they are in all walks of life.

Comments

• Kaiser Sose
    ...and I'd like to edit my spelling but can't...! :D
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    For christ's sake get over yourself.

Do you wave at people driving the other way or people walking down the pavement?

It's insane to wave at every cyclist.

Some are caught up in their own world, some are probably training hard, some didn't see you and some frankly, don't care about waving to complete strangers like an imbecile.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    HOUSE!
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    It's true though, a lot of roadies are miserable bastards.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If I were you I would seek counselling for your insecurity issues, that way you then wouldn’t give a flying feck whether people wave back at you or not. Simple and you aren’t relying on other people to change their behaviour then...

You’re welcome. 👋
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595

Do you wave at people driving the other way or people walking down the pavement?

In the city, no. Out on a country walk or cycle, yes.
    We are more friendly in the sticks.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Probably a load of clubbies with some miserables thrown in for good luck tbh.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

Probably a load of clubbies with some miserables thrown in for good luck tbh.....

All wishing they didn't have Ultegra.
  • MattFalle
    and/or Hunts.

good point very well presented that man/woman
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Nobody owes you a wave, heaven forbid someone goes out on a bike ride and just gets to quietly contemplate their own activity.

90% of the time I'll wave but I don't need the validation of one back, nor do I expect those that I happen not to wave at to take to the forums to bemoan the lack of civility in society. Get over yourself.
  • Kaiser Sose
    Gee whiz guys, never thought it would cause such offence. I'm very confident thanks and very happy. Just sharing an observation of many others out on the roads - fellow cyclists - who do not appear to be so.
  • shirley_basso
    It's not a question of confidence or cheeriness.

It's so mundane as to be pathetic that you even care
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Not causing offence, just winding you up, 'tis the nature of things.

For me, MTBers are the b3llends, almost none acknowledge my presence while normal people at least nod in passing. In the countryside obvs. In city, wave 2 fingers is the way.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'll wave back if you wave to me and regularly acknowledge other cyclists, but don't really care if they don't nod back.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Here in the Borders it would be bad manners indeed not to acknowledge other cyclists! Also often walkers and occasionally car drivers as well! :D
  • andyealing
    andyealing Posts: 34
    I cycle in and around London a lot. You don't tend to get any waves in busy areas with lots of cyclists i.e Richmond Park. But people do tend to acknowledge each other out in the countryside.

Generally, I think cyclists remain a polite bunch.
  • MattFalle

I cycle in and around London a lot. You don't tend to get any waves in busy areas with lots of cyclists i.e Richmond Park.

I blame London Dynamo

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

and/or Hunts.

good point very well presented that man/woman

Equally likely it's 'cos the rider is too busy listening to the sound of his phat carbon rims and they believe that the rider coming the other way is a clubbie thus is below him.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I only wave at people wearing the same club kit as me.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

Since when were you in Team Ineos?
  • First.Aspect
    orraloon said:

Since when were you in Team Ineos?
    Discovery.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    I think this standard needs to be dropped at least in the city. I see hundreds of riders in London on the weekend. I cant wave at everyone and maintain safety.

In the country side... Get over it. Some ppl are just in their own headspace. We're not out in the countryside riding quiet lanes looking for social interaction.
  • willdbell
    willdbell Posts: 20
    This is important and says a lot about folk too.. Acknowledgement of fellow cyclists should be something that is preserved at all costs as it’s only a good thing and encouraging all round... unfortunately we live in a self obsessed world where it’s all about me, myself and I.. And that’s to our detriment, but some folk whom are obviously wrapped up in themselves dont see any kind of issue
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I can feel a "What do you carry in your saddlebag" thread coming on.
  • First.Aspect
    Onegear said:

I think this standard needs to be dropped at least in the city. I see hundreds of riders in London on the weekend. I cant wave at everyone and maintain safety.

In the country side... Get over it. Some ppl are just in their own headspace. We're not out in the countryside riding quiet lanes looking for social interaction.

If I walk around in a town centre, I don't say hello to everyone.

If I go for a walk in the countryside and pass someone, I do, because its weird not to.

So don't be weird, eh?
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696
    If you want to wave, then wave, if you don’t then don’t.
    Live and let live

Frankly I’d be more concerned if I had a mechanical/injury at the side of the road and a passing cyclist didn’t shout out an offer of help, as I always do. Having said that it is their choice, I wouldn’t want to impose my beliefs onto somebody else

womack said:

I can feel a "What do you carry in your saddlebag" thread coming on.

First I want a proper saddle bag, but before I can have that I need MY saddle to have saddle bag loops… O don’t get me going down that one! ;)
  • shirley_basso
    willdbell said:

This is important and says a lot about folk too.. Acknowledgement of fellow cyclists should be something that is preserved at all costs as it’s only a good thing and encouraging all round... unfortunately we live in a self obsessed world where it’s all about me, myself and I.. And that’s to our detriment, but some folk whom are obviously wrapped up in themselves dont see any kind of issue

Preserved at all costs?

What the hell are you on about?

Of all the things to be to be preserved at all costs, waving at total strangers should be so far down the list as to be on the list of 'things to be eradicated at all costs'.

Jesus Christ how do you people function if you're so upset about strangers not waving to you.
  • First.Aspect

willdbell said:

Preserved at all costs?

Of all the things to be to be preserved at all costs, waving at total strangers should be so far down the list as to be on the list of 'things to be eradicated at all costs'.

Jesus Christ how do you people function if you're so upset about strangers not waving to you.
    "Seemingly trivial things to get upset about"?
  • shirley_basso
    The irony of writing that ranty post was not lost on me
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

willdbell said:

Preserved at all costs?

I wouldn’t wave at you Shirley.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי