BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Is war with France going in the Brexit pro column or con column?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

Depends whether we win or not
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pblakeney said:

Nobody really thinks they're going to start shooting do they?

that is my point - why send a gunboat to prevent a blockade by fishing trawlers? it can only be a populist measure to trigger nationalistic idiots

This has been coming for nearly 5 years so even these idiots must have a plan for dealing with stroppy french fishymen.
    And my point is "because that's what we've got".

Nobody thought the soldiers sent to help the vaccine distribution were going to start shooting people did they?
    so you send two gunboats to prevent foreign trawlers from bloackading a harbour

on the off chance they call your bluff

your analogy would be better if you used nuclear subs
    If the police ask you to do something do you assess their level of weaponry before deciding whether to comply?
    Fat bloke, no gun, no taser? Might be worth running.
    I saw a bike courier go through a red light and was instructed to stop by a plastic copper, chippy turned his head assessed the situation before concluding it was safe to continue. The angry PC gave chase but even his colleague could not be bothered and he soon gave up.
  • surrey_commuter

that is my point - why send a gunboat to prevent a blockade by fishing trawlers? it can only be a populist measure to trigger nationalistic idiots

This has been coming for nearly 5 years so even these idiots must have a plan for dealing with stroppy french fishymen.

Nobody thought the soldiers sent to help the vaccine distribution were going to start shooting people did they?

If the police ask you to do something do you assess their level of weaponry before deciding whether to comply?

I am not an angry French fisherman
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

pblakeney said:

I saw a bike courier go through a red light and was instructed to stop by a plastic copper, chippy turned his head assessed the situation before concluding it was safe to continue. The angry PC gave chase but even his colleague could not be bothered and he soon gave up.
    So you think a fishing boat will out run the navy vessel?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    edited May 2021
    So beyond the election day photo op, what are the navy boats there to actually do?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

So beyond the election day photo op, what are the navy boats there to actually do?

See what's occurring.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

Not act like Neville Chamberlain presumably.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

pblakeney said:

The question was about assessing the equipment.
    In this example, no.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

They'd immediately surrender wouldn't they?
  • rick_chasey

Not act like Neville Chamberlain presumably.
    What does that mean in practice?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited May 2021
    Pross said:

They'd immediately surrender wouldn't they?
    Remember we're 0 for 4 in fish wars so far. Against a country that doesn't have a Navy...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

The problem is that they are forming a blockade not that they are evading capture
  • surrey_commuter

On the assumption that this was anticipated maybe we feel that in a lockdown it really does not matter for a few weeks by which time they will have gone home so all they need is a photo op
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pblakeney said:

You think there is a plan? 🤣🤣🤣
    France has had 50 years to deal with stroppy fishermen. Good luck to all that deal with them. Remember them out the other year ramming UK boats for not agreeing with their self imposed ban on shellfish collecting prior to a certain date in French waters. Britain should just mirror French behavior for a bit of comedy gold.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    The French boats have finished their protest without incident and gone home. Sorry to disappoint those hoping for drama.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    john80 said:

pblakeney said:

France has had 50 years to deal with stroppy fishermen. Good luck to all that deal with them. Remember them out the other year ramming UK boats for not agreeing with their self imposed ban on shellfish collecting prior to a certain date in French waters. Britain should just mirror French behavior for a bit of comedy gold.
    Protest made and everyone went home. No fish were hurt during the making of this protest. 🤣🤣🤣 Sorry to disappoint.

My point was that Westminster has no plan on how to deal with Brexit. Show evidence to the contrary. Those in N.I. will be most curious.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

Protest made and everyone went home. No fish were hurt during the making of this protest. 🤣🤣🤣 Sorry to disappoint.

My point was that Westminster has no plan on how to deal with Brexit. Show evidence to the contrary. Those in N.I. will be most curious.
    I know I will incur the wrath of Rick but Gove has been in charge of Brexit planning and he probably the most competent. Of course the success of Brexit harm mitigation policies is hard to measure
  • rick_chasey
    He’s probably a bit distracted judging by the rumours
  • rick_chasey
    One for you @tailwindhome

• ddraver
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

...they left with a 4 month extension too, no?

I reckon someone's been off for a a BH week and is going to rock up to an almighty b*ll*cking about the state of their Excel sheet on Monday
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited May 2021

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter

Help us oldies out, is that a spoof acct or what point is she trying to make
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282

I think she just posted it accidentally. It got deleted and replaced with the normal flag but people noticed and are giving her stick.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • surrey_commuter
    pangolin said:

I think she just posted it accidentally. It got deleted and replaced with the normal flag but people noticed and are giving her stick.
    If she googled Union Jack and that came up you would have to ask what else she has been Googling.

Let’s go all conspiracy and ask if she is another Roman Catholic Brexiteer
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Macron is an utter tw@t and once he is voted out out by the French electorate, this sort of thing will likely stop. We just need to be patient.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stevo_666 said:

Macron is an utter tw@t and once he is voted out out by the French electorate, this sort of thing will likely stop. We just need to be patient.

The downside is that his most likely conqueror is Le Pen.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

True, but she may not be as much of an arse towards us. It's more of a problem for France - and the EU. It would be ironic that the actions of the arch federalist Macron precipitated the departure of France from the EU by making Le Pen electable.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

True, but she may not be as much of an censored towards us. It's more of a problem for France - and the EU. It would be ironic that the actions of the arch federalist Macron precipitated the departure of France from the EU by making Le Pen electable.
    So the principle that two bad party leaders doesn’t lead to good governance does apply in France.

Maybe one for the irony thread.