Bike purchase help please!!!

So I am new to the road bike side of things since I have always road mountain. Yes, I am coming over to the dark side ;) I would like to support my local business so I went to great small shop nearby where they buy and recondition bikes. I don’t want to spend a ton on my first road bike but would like to get something decent. There is a carbon bike with an Altegra group set which sounds great for $1500 but the issue is I’ve never heard of the company which the frame is by - LYRA. I want to make sure I’m buying a reputable brand so it doesn’t fall apart on me while I’m going 30mph hahah. Has anyone heard of this company? Should I take the risk and get the bike?

Thank you so much for your help!

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,128
    Never heard of Lyra bikes, but that in itself is not necessarily an issue.

A very large percentage of carbon bikes are "open mould" whereby one of the large manufacturers in Taiwan or China make the frame and the company in whatever market applies the branding. If open mould there are good and there are bad... the only way to tell is to ride it. If you're buying from a reputable shop they should let you test ride it or at least give some after sales support.

Regardless of the frame / groupset, all the other things when buying a second hand road bike should apply. Firstly - does it fit? This is way more important on a road bike than a mountain bike. Is it in decent nick? Check for rim / chain / cassette wear etc. If buying from a reconditioner I would expect this aspect to be covered.
  • Thank you very much for the prompt response!

The nine fit me perfectly and it felt extremely solid. No scratches or nicks and the bike comes with a one year warranty so I’m leaning towards purchasing after you gave me the confidence to do so. I’d love to post a picture to show you an image of it but I’m not sure how to do it here. Regardless, thank you!!