tuesday you must go another road, if you wish to escape this savage place

'ning

early test ride if roads have dried après le déluge

either way, cafes, wfh, laze, etc.
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, strong winds with the odd shower, don’t think I will be out cycling today, usual morning so far dog walked etc
    Have a good day
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    No apres deluge here, looks like it's staying all day.
    Not that it matters given that I'm WFH.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    thistle_ said:

No apres deluge here, looks like it's staying all day.
    Not that it matters given that I'm WFH.

This.

No real running or cycling this week, so had better look busy otherwise the wife will suggest painting the kitchen
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ciao

Just took the 'Dale out for a quick spin.

1. Its smooth and feels really nice
    2. Bars are too wide (44 plus 5 flare)
    3. Discs. Errr really - is this what all the hype is all about? Absolutley no difference than using rims except for.....
    4. How blimmin' big are those shifters? Mahoooosif.

If those size shifters are what is now accepted by clubbies as the norm then all facets of bicycle bits being really lovely are now gone.

Plan is: get it, ride it, flip it.

#sorted
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    As an aside, what do you reckon mint standard wheels, tyres and rotors are worth? £200? £250?
  • thistle_
    MattFalle said:

As an aside, what do you reckon mint standard wheels, tyres and rotors are worth? £200? £250?

If they're anything like the CAAD wheels, about 50p
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    MattFalle said:

Ciao

3. Discs. Errr really - is this what all the hype is all about? Absolutley no difference than using rims except for.....

If those size shifters are what is now accepted by clubbies as the norm then all facets of bicycle bits being really lovely are now gone.

#sorted

Deal at the price you've been given. 👍
    Road use or gravel use? Wider bars take a bit of getting used to, took me a while vs my road Synapse geometry, is about stability on the rough 'n' soft stuff. Cf MTBers with their metre plus bars...
    Are there such people as graveller clubbies with the roolz and that? Thought that was for the tarmac 'kings' (and queens obvs).
  • thistle_
    edited May 2021
    MattFalle said:

Should be better in mud/wet as long as they're set up and working properly.
    Mine are definitely much better than any rim/v brake setup I've ever had.
    MattFalle said:

What shifters are they?
    The RS505 was described as bulbous when it came out but it's not an issue for me (I hate the cable routing though) - I thought newer shifters were smaller and similar to cable braked Shimano ones?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474
    MattFalle said:

Ciao

#sorted

Try the discs again downhill in the wet when you've got a lorry stopped ahead of you. You'll be able to give us an update because you won't be in hospital :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

Ciao

#sorted

Try the discs again downhill in the wet when you've got a lorry stopped ahead of you. You'll be able to give us an update because you won't be in hospital :smile:
    nah, fam. I'll just bunny hop the phucker.
  • MattFalle
    orraloon said:

MattFalle said:

Ciao

#sorted

Deal at the price you've been given. 👍
    Road use or gravel use? Wider bars take a bit of getting used to, took me a while vs my road Synapse geometry, is about stability on the rough 'n' soft stuff. Cf MTBers with their metre plus bars...
    Are there such people as graveller clubbies with the roolz and that? Thought that was for the tarmac 'kings' (and queens obvs).
    groovy gravy sauce - consider it bought :)

road to pop to the shops and pedal with the bambini, bit of gravel but not primary purpose so its a nice incidental to have.

Will give the wide 'bars a go but, tbh, 15 min to change to come narrower I have in the loft if I don't like them.

Well, there are dedicated graveller magazines and clothing ranges so I reckon there will be - you know what clubbies are like...

grazie for excellent points well presented though!

• MattFalle
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

Should be better in mud/wet as long as they're set up and working properly.
    Mine are definitely much better than any rim/v brake setup I've ever had.
    MattFalle said:

What shifters are they?
    The RS505 was described as bulbous when it came out but it's not an issue for me (I hate the cable routing though) - I thought newer shifters were smaller and similar to cable braked Shimano ones?

will look tonight - listening to Primus (Too many puppies) in the gym.

Admittedly I have small hands and am used to iddle diddle Red but these things are obscene
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Morning,

Summoning the will power to walk the dog is this spring weather.

Beyond that, WFH and trying to sort a new car, oh and buying some carpets. (Never new how expensive carpets were until the wife showed me the bill).

Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • MattFalle
    oxoman said:

Sounds like the 505,s, you can adjust the levers closer to the bars if needs be. I use my TCX solely for gravel and cross country stuff and rarely use the drops. TBH mine aren't that flared. I actually prefer 505,s

groovy sauce. will check and revert. never really used the drops on my old cx bike so may well change these for normal jobs (have some PRO ones the same as Froomedog's in the loft I can use).
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Flâneur said:

Morning,

Beyond that, WFH and trying to sort a new car, oh and buying some carpets. (Never new how expensive carpets were until the wife showed me the bill).

What car you getting, we can help 😂
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    edited May 2021
    MattFalle said:

1. In the wet & in an urban environment, where something you don't anticipate might stop in front of you, step out on you, turn left on you, turn right across you. I have pretty good spidey senses, but no-one's are perfect. Any advantage helps.

2. It's the disc that gets worn, not the rim.

Otherwise, notta lot, but reason 1 given most of my riding is in urban/semi urban conditions in all weathers, is pretty important to me. Unfortunately, I can't bunny hop anything more than a speed hump, so that's not an option for me.

Oh yeah - in the wet they make a noise like a dying goose - at least mine do - more useful than a bell or whistle, and a cause of much hilarity for other road users.
  • hopkinb
    wfw, cut my finger on some paper - found a plaster as it wouldn't stop bleeding - must be getting old.

Hefty tailwind on the way in - going to be a slog on the way home. A welcome slog though, as every little bit of extra effort helps shift that unwanted weight, hone those legs.
  • thistle_
    hopkinb said:

Oh yeah - in the wet they make a noise like a dying goose - at least mine do - more useful than a bell or whistle, and a cause of much hilarity for other road users.

Actually, that's a big plus point on the psyclopaths around here. You can start braking 200 m before a group of zombies, brakes squeal and they sh!t themselves thinking you're about to crash into them.
  • Flâneur
    tlw1 said:

Flâneur said:

Morning,

What car you getting, we can help 😂
    maybe an A5 sportback, need to load a dog in or throw two bikes in the back, don't really fancy another hatch after a 1 series, A3 and GTI over the years. Could lean towards the SUV but more car than I really need.

Fun topic until it is you buying the car
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Flâneur
    hopkinb said:

Why I try and avoid disc brakes on my road bike. Thank god Zwift or TR helps that out.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Steady 20mph winds with the odd 40mph gust. Good reason not to bike it today.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Hmmm......

Jump back in?

Or not?
  • seanoconn
    Come back cargo, all is forgiven, we missed you.
  • seanoconn
    edited May 2021
    F@ck off cargo, you’re not wanted here!

I hope that’s cleared things up for you 👍😂

Maybe you could just sneak back without anyone noticing or making a fuss about it.
  • seanoconn
    edited May 2021

@sungod for some reason your name and the bigbean’s name are very pale looking.

Are you ok? Under the weather today?
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

Steady 20mph winds with the odd 40mph gust. Good reason not to bike it today.

Even more fun on my super practical 60mm rims.

Homeward leg will be grim with a capital G.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    On the gravellers, long chat with chap this morning who just taken delivery of an entry level Bianchi gravel bike, Shimano GRX 400 et al. Nice bike. Twice what I paid for the ADV 8.9, similar spec, pricey logo 😉 Still not sure I could handle That colour though.
  • hopkinb
    oxoman said:

MF discs are brilliant if well maintained but useless in the wet if you brake hard. They lock up very easily.

I change the pads when they wear down. Sometimes I clean the pistons with a cotton bud and some sort of organic solvent if they get sticky. Is that maintenance? I've had the bike 7 years now. That is all the maintenance they have needed. Oh, I've changed the rotors once as well.

I have never locked a front wheel, except on ice, once. Must be all that weight. :) Rear fishtails all over the place if you apply a bit too much pressure, wet or dry, but that's the same with rim brakes.

Discs suit me because of where and how I ride.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474
    Cargobike said:

Hmmm......

Jump back in?

Or not?

About time too, where's that pic of your Tesla? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529
    seanoconn said:

@sungod for some reason your name and the bigbean’s name are very pale looking.

Are you ok? Under the weather today?

it's the forum having a breakdown, imo it's doing that for profiles set to not show current online status
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny