What's happened to this forum?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    JG, its us against the Tory scum intent on destroying what is left of britain for their own personal gains.

SRAM: its mega. Best bang for buck groupsets out there.

As its you we shall agree to disagree until you Make The Leap, anyone else I'll fight them.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160

I see that the point scoring continues even amongst the navel gazing. Good work.

KG does like his minor point scoring attempts.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Oh yeah and apparently was going to Everest Hardknot Pass.

No wonder everyone leaves.
    Bye.

Oh yes, I remember that... at the time I was sceptical about it... I always thought you need a particular mindset for that challenge and MF seems the restless kind, who would give up quite early on...
    Last December I set out to do a half in the Cotswolds, but I lost the will to live after a third... I figured out it was going to get dark and I was bored stiff... If I had to do it again, I wouldn't rely on SPAM

https://www.strava.com/activities/4475094635

MF got sidetracked by work for that jaunt but, tbh, its still on a back burner.

you are very, very correct that MF is a very restless kind - v low boredom threshold.
    Not for you then, by my 1/3 of an experience, it is really a tedious thing to do... I broke it down into chunks of 3 ascents, with food breaks in between, trying to vary the food to make it more interesting (chocolate next time... etc.. ) but to no avail... you pretty quickly realise you are doing something stupid
    methinks ypu are right but tbh still tempted to give it a go - whack some 'phones on and just pedal.

also thinking whether what would be quicker and therefore less boring - short 'n' steep or long 'n' grindy....
    Well, I chose Saintbury because it is steep enough (>8%) but not too steep, which means you can relax on your way down... with Hardknott you will probably be on the brakes all the time and you might even need to replace the pads half way through. You might even crash eventually, but that's a different story (although possibly a hilarious one)
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Good point.
    You want a hill you can descend in comfort.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Oh yeah and apparently was going to Everest Hardknot Pass.

No wonder everyone leaves.
    Bye.

Oh yes, I remember that... at the time I was sceptical about it... I always thought you need a particular mindset for that challenge and MF seems the restless kind, who would give up quite early on...
    Last December I set out to do a half in the Cotswolds, but I lost the will to live after a third... I figured out it was going to get dark and I was bored stiff... If I had to do it again, I wouldn't rely on SPAM

https://www.strava.com/activities/4475094635

MF got sidetracked by work for that jaunt but, tbh, its still on a back burner.

you are very, very correct that MF is a very restless kind - v low boredom threshold.
    Not for you then, by my 1/3 of an experience, it is really a tedious thing to do... I broke it down into chunks of 3 ascents, with food breaks in between, trying to vary the food to make it more interesting (chocolate next time... etc.. ) but to no avail... you pretty quickly realise you are doing something stupid
    methinks ypu are right but tbh still tempted to give it a go - whack some 'phones on and just pedal.

also thinking whether what would be quicker and therefore less boring - short 'n' steep or long 'n' grindy....
    Well, I chose Saintbury because it is steep enough (>8%) but not too steep, which means you can relax on your way down... with Hardknott you will probably be on the brakes all the time and you might even need to replace the pads half way through. You might even crash eventually, but that's a different story (although possibly a hilarious one)

I'd never do it as I'd not stick the boredom of repetition, but yes, something that you're not on the edge going up and down (I got no pleasure out of Wrynose, up or down), but not just slogging out too many miles & wasting time working against friction and headwind. Something you can get into a bit of rhythm on and not stand up and pulverise your legs, so more than 5% and less than 10%, I'd reckon. And a very high boredom threshold.
  • MattFalle
    methinks Ugo has it - 8% and a Walkman full if audio books.....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    MattFalle said:

Tumble or maybe Llangynidr or Llangattock mountain. All pretty local for you aren't they? I know people who have done it on Gospel Pass too but that's the worst of all worlds for me, long and draggy for the most part then very steep plus a fairly tricky descent on single track roads.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Tumble or maybe Llangynidr or Llangattock mountain. All pretty local for you aren't they? I know people who have done it on Gospel Pass too but that's the worst of all worlds for me, long and draggy for the most part then very steep plus a fairly tricky descent on single track roads.

Getting down fast and safely must be part of the plan.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Decent road surface helpful. Not too twisty so the descents will be fairly stress free with not too much braking. Ideally prevailing wind behind for the uphill. Not too much traffic. Gradient fairly steady - not so shallow that the mileage gets daft but not so steep that you can't sit and spin at all times.

On the whole the options abroad are probably far more suitable. Something like the Pordoi from Arabba would be spot on, except perhaps for the altitude.
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2021
    So many options, so little time......

Also thinking Italy (namely somewhere along this year's Giro stage to be held on 16th) - be better than heading down the A465 then doing domething dull then driving back up it...
  • briantrumpet
    MattFalle said:

Also thinking Italy (namely somewhere along this year's Giro stage to be held on 16th) - be better than heading down the A465 then doing domething dull then driving back up it...

The trouble with a lot of the more Alpine stuff is that it's not steep enough, as they are engineered to be driveable in proper winters, and the ones that are steeper tend to be narrower and twistier.

Were I to do it (I won't), I was wondering how long I'd want it to be... even if I can climb non-stop for two hours (e.g. Ventoux or Bornette), I don't think that'd be optimal. I reckon about 20 minutes would be good. Well, least worst.
  • mrb123
    MattFalle said:

Quite a few options in the Dolomites spring to mind. Ollie on GCN did the Valparola from San Cassiano which seemed a weird choice to me as there's a decent flat/downhill stretch on it. Coming from South Side via the Falzarego would have seemed more sensible to me.

Road surfaces in Abruzzo generally much poorer in my experience. Absolutely shocking towards the top of the Blockhaus.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited May 2021
    One my local skeletal "alien" superkids did an Everesting attempt on Bwlch Y Groes the other weekend, which as some of you know hits a brutal stretch of ~20%, he had to quit after something like ~15 climbs...

Fatal mistake of poor gearing (mostly cassette) choice and the ~50rpm grinding caught up with him, at his weight (50-odd Kg iirc) an 11-34 would have made it a relative breeze.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123
    Hardknott has been done by at least one person I know of. Absolutely in awe of that - every time I've been up there I've sworn never again! TBH a light hardtail MTB with some fat slick tyres would be the best tool for that, both for the ups and downs.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Well back on topic. Another problem with this forum is the number of off topic cycling related posts 😒
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Climb out of Rhuthun towards Yr Wyddgrug (Mold).
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Been here a long time, and from a non-UK perspective, this place has changed from a fairly broad-based topics site to one that is much narrower since Brexit and Covid happened. Politics and current affairs are the subject-du-jour. Bikes? Hardly get a mention...

I genuinely feel sorry for you UK residents having gone through all that. The average tone of posts here has markedly changed in the last few years, from relatively cheerful overall to something that sounds a lot less happy. I doubt thats intentional; more like just a reflection of what life is like at the moment.

Still a worthwhile place to drop in.

WS, I think what you're trying to say politely is that there are some miserable, moany ****ers on here? I feel vindicated :)
    Your favourite moan, isn't it?
    I see my post prompted you to respond :smile:
    Isn't that the point of a forum?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    womack said:

The main road or the bwlch? Main road wouldn’t be too bad except for the nutters driving on it. Bwlch would be a bit hard going although you could make a loop of it I guess
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

JG, its us against the Tory scum intent on destroying what is left of britain for their own personal gains.

As its you we shall agree to disagree until you Make The Leap, anyone else I'll fight them.

I wasn’t a fan of the SRAM group I tried on a bike. I have used campag on a hire bike at the velodrome and quite liked it. Trouble is I’d either need to swap out my di2 Ultegra on the trek (and I can’t see myself doing that) or looking for a disc brake group for my giant. And disc brake campag is still far too expensive for me otherwise I’d be keen.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I think I have a pretty decent road nearby for Chomolungmaing, but have zero desire to spend a day riding up and down it endlessly.
    Plus I would lose count. I’ve swim enough lengths to know that keeping accurate records of laps is impossible.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

I wasn’t a fan of the SRAM group I tried on a bike. I have used campag on a hire bike at the velodrome and quite liked it. Trouble is I’d either need to swap out my di2 Ultegra on the trek (and I can’t see myself doing that) or looking for a disc brake group for my giant. And disc brake campag is still far too expensive for me otherwise I’d be keen.
    You ride a Trek?!?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • johngti
    Yes. Pourquoi?
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    johngti said:

womack said:

The main road or the bwlch? Main road wouldn’t be too bad except for the nutters driving on it. Bwlch would be a bit hard going although you could make a loop of it I guess
    I was thinking the main road but to be fair the couple of times I had the "pleasure" of doing it last year were in the very early stages of lockdown and It was virtually traffic free. Take your point about the traffic during normal times.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    johngti said:

Yes. Pourquoi?

You should be riding a people's bike from China you commie
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    womack said:

johngti said:

womack said:

I was thinking the main road but to be fair the couple of times I had the "pleasure" of doing it last year were in the very early stages of lockdown and It was virtually traffic free. Take your point about the traffic during normal times.
    It’s not a bad shout. Llanbedr has that short section that’s nasty but otherwise the surface has always been reasonable and most of it is pretty steady. I’d be tempted to stop short of the clwyd gate - it’s a dodgy right turn out of there in a car, wouldn’t fancy it on a bike!

You should give it a go 😉
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    elbowloh said:

johngti said:

Yes. Pourquoi?

Well, I wouldn't go that far.
    I thought it was only Dentists and Lawyers that rode Treks.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • johngti
    elbowloh said:

johngti said:

Yes. Pourquoi?

I’ve got a giant contend too. Does that count?
  • johngti
    edited May 2021
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

johngti said:

Yes. Pourquoi?

Fair. I (obviously!) didn’t buy it new, of course. Second hand frame, already had the groupset. Very keen to have the isospeed things front and rear due to back/neck issues.

Plus, it looks damn cool. #excusetopostanotherpicture

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    johngti said:

pinno said:

elbowloh said:

johngti said:

Yes. Pourquoi?

Fair. I (obviously!) didn’t buy it new, of course. Second hand frame, already had the groupset. Very keen to have the isospeed things front and rear due to back/neck issues.

Plus, it looks damn cool. #excusetopostanotherpicture

#beautyisintheeye
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    White shoes 😳