Daft idea...

I have this deep pang in the stomach... for a Team KAS, Kelly replica build.

Need some assistance in identifying bits. I know of the Mavic rear mech and you can get them. Apparently (and I was told this in a Cambridge cycle shop) in 1987, they were 'totally strippable' but that's just a curious aside.
What was the chainset?
What were the hubs and rims?
What was the headset and BB?
I could make it a whole lot easier by buying a complete Croce D'aune gruppo, although it wouldn't be a KAS replica but it would solve a whole load of headaches and I would have an excuse to hang some Delta brakes on it (even though they are awful but a pair of Swiss stop just might make them actually work).

I am biding my time trying to find a 56/57cm Vitus carbon 9 frameset.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Not a daft idea!
    I can't help but wish you good luck.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Ahem, isn’t a 56/57 likely to be a little large for you?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196

? Why do people think i'm a short @rse? I am bang on average for a male in the UK.
    My Colnago C40 is a 57cm, It's roughly... 1 cm too big though that 1cm might be abhorrent to certain pedants/people on the autistic spectrum/nerds, I don't give a farq.

Cheers Blakey - i'm glad i've got someone's support.
    [Insert rolling eyes icon]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not daft if it makes you happy.
    Finding the right stuff might take longer but should be cheaper as vintage Campag always commands a premium.
    I've got to sell this old Giant that has a Sachs New Success groupset on it. Same as 8 speed Campag but with Shimano pull ratios. Bike is worth a lot less as a result.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

? Why do people think i'm a short @rse? I am bang on average for a male in the UK.
    My Colnago C40 is a 57cm, It's roughly... 1 cm too big though that 1cm might be abhorrent to certain pedants/people on the autistic spectrum/nerds, I don't give a farq.

Typical shorty snarkiness...

😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Wheelspinner
    pinno said:

Oooh, sensitive much? Because you apparently weigh sod all, and unless you are anorexically thin I assumed that meant you’re about 5’8” , give or take a bee’s willy.

I’m 6’0 and find almost all 56’s a fraction large for me.

• veronese68

pinno said:

Oooh, sensitive much? Because you apparently weigh sod all, and unless you are anorexically thin I assumed that meant you’re about 5’8” , give or take a bee’s willy.

Shortarses get really tetchy if their height is questioned 😁
  • pinno

pinno said:

Short legs? Short arms?

• Wheelspinner
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Short legs? Short arms?

Neither, am quite beautifully proportioned. :-) I just prefer the handling feel of a frame that is as small as it can reasonably be while still giving me the fit that is comfortable, and I find that is best suited to a 55-ish with a slightly taller than normal stack.

I had a Colnago E1 which was fabulous to ride, but was a 57. If I could have found one in a 55 it would have been my perfect bike.
  • pinno

pinno said:

pinno said:

Short legs? Short arms?

Neither, am quite beautifully proportioned. :-) I just prefer the handling feel of a frame that is as small as it can reasonably be while still giving me the fit that is comfortable, and I find that is best suited to a 55-ish with a slightly taller than normal stack.

I had a Colnago E1 which was fabulous to ride, but was a 57. If I could have found one in a 55 it would have been my perfect bike.
    Therein lies the subjective.
    I prefer a frame that isn't as small as it can be.
    I have quite long arms which makes me a) a knuckle dragger and b) I struggle with top tube lengths.

I think and I have found, taller riders place different stresses on a bike. I have a mate (6'4") and the only cf frames he got on with was Giant and a BMC.
    My other friend, 6'2" bought a Jamis and a Spesh both CF and he hates them, much prefers steel.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited May 2021

that's what i said but he denied it....

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    tbh, its not a daft idea and it makes you happy, so do it.
  • elbowloh
    pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Short legs? Short arms?

I have quite long arms which makes me a) a knuckle dragger and b) I struggle with top tube lengths.

I think and I have found, taller riders place different stresses on a bike. I have a mate (6'4") and the only cf frames he got on with was Giant and a BMC.
    My other friend, 6'2" bought a Jamis and a Spesh both CF and he hates them, much prefers steel.

6'5" and have a 61cm felt f1 and a 61cm felt Z5, both fit brilliantly.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    @pinno i can post a pic of myself as a skinny 12 year old in team KAS kit to inspire you if you like?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Short legs? Short arms?

You’re 6’5!? I thought you were part Chinese?
  • pinno
    That would be wonderful.
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Short legs? Short arms?

6'5?

seriously?

are you some kind of gargantuan?
  • pinno
    Holy shmokes.
  • seanoconn
    Tallest BBer in history
  • seanoconn

When I said KAS kit I meant, KAS top, PDM hat, Toshiba gloves and Bermuda shorts 😎 Boom!

And you dare question my English language speaking 80’s winners quiz answer.

Yes I know that was Carrera which I also had.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    What were the plants in hanging basket.
  • elbowloh
    seanoconn said:

elbowloh said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

Short legs? Short arms?

You’re 6’5!? I thought you were part Chinese?
    Yes and yes
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    webboo said:

webboo said:

At least give me a like and I’ll tell you
  • webboo
    seanoconn said:

webboo said:

webboo said:

At least give me a like and I’ll tell you
    Is that what you say to all the girls/boy’s
  • veronese68
    Great picture Seano, couldn't give a fig about the plants I'm afraid.
    Would be quite funny if they were figs, but I doubt it.
  • seanoconn
    webboo said:

At a glance, Bergonia and Lobelia.
  • webboo
    seanoconn said:

webboo said:

Nice. Any cuttings?
  • seanoconn
    webboo said:

seanoconn said:

webboo said:

Nice. Any cuttings?
    From 30 years ago!?
  • webboo
    You can remember things from 30 years ago. I should give you a like for that if I hadn’t already given you one.
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

When I said KAS kit I meant, KAS top, PDM hat, Toshiba gloves and Bermuda shorts 😎 Boom!

And you dare question my English language speaking 80’s winners quiz answer.

Yes I know that was Carrera which I also had.

are you wearing school shoes?