What's happened to this forum?

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160

womack said:

Been a member (reading only) of this board for nearly six years. Posted first time recently when needing some advice. Advice given fitted the bill so thankful for that.

However was always hesitant to post in the general threads as my reading of the board was that if you weren't one of the established many thousands of posts members your opinions and input were not entertained.

I think / guess this would put a lot of new members off, they may try and engage a couple of times only to find themselves in the middle of a "private conversation" amongst the aforementioned so not bother to try and join in again and just disappear until perhaps they need a bit of technical help.

The other problem I see, on here and other boards to be fair, is that there appears to be one "view" and anybody who disagrees with it is not listened to and branded with some ism.

Edit. Yes I do have a holiday home but never had a company pension, hard work paid for it.

This.
    Reason I left was dickheads like Sungod who think they know it all but don't and when get called out they take umbrage and all his little cliche defend him. This is the guy who supposedly gets up at 4am every day, rides every day, stays in the most expensive places, flies first class everywhere but is still working and has got to be mid 70s at least. Something doesn't add up.
    Then you have Walter Mitty aka MF who seems to have a strange hatred of clubs, Ultegra and any stem which isn't slammed or wheel which isn't "phat". Tries to be street by dropping in words like "fam" whereas in reality he's a 47 yo white middle class oik in the army. Oh yeah and apparently was going to Everest Hardknot Pass.

No wonder everyone leaves.
    Bye.
    This is the Cake Stop we all know and love :p

Calling @sungod and @MattFalle to the thread...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

womack said:

Been a member (reading only) of this board for nearly six years. Posted first time recently when needing some advice. Advice given fitted the bill so thankful for that.

However was always hesitant to post in the general threads as my reading of the board was that if you weren't one of the established many thousands of posts members your opinions and input were not entertained.

I think / guess this would put a lot of new members off, they may try and engage a couple of times only to find themselves in the middle of a "private conversation" amongst the aforementioned so not bother to try and join in again and just disappear until perhaps they need a bit of technical help.

The other problem I see, on here and other boards to be fair, is that there appears to be one "view" and anybody who disagrees with it is not listened to and branded with some ism.

Edit. Yes I do have a holiday home but never had a company pension, hard work paid for it.

This.
    Reason I left was dickheads like Sungod who think they know it all but don't and when get called out they take umbrage and all his little cliche defend him. This is the guy who supposedly gets up at 4am every day, rides every day, stays in the most expensive places, flies first class everywhere but is still working and has got to be mid 70s at least. Something doesn't add up.
    Then you have Walter Mitty aka MF who seems to have a strange hatred of clubs, Ultegra and any stem which isn't slammed or wheel which isn't "phat". Tries to be street by dropping in words like "fam" whereas in reality he's a 47 yo white middle class oik in the army. Oh yeah and apparently was going to Everest Hardknot Pass.

Bye.
    You do know this is the internet don't you?

Don't take everything so seriously!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Thought that whinger had already left. Or is it quantum, is both left and not left? Maybe it's too right, or not too right enough?

Too early. Get a coffee. Got loads of soil to shift.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160

Worst thing about the forum recently is the like function.

My complaint is that the comments attacking me personally always get the most likes.

Makes for more pack-like behaviour

FTFY Rick ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    I wonder what the complainers are doing to improve the situation they dislike?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867
    seanoconn said:

My complaint is that the comments attacking people personally always get the most likes.

There should be a ranking system of members to do with likes to encourage quality posts/personal attacks 😂

It would be nice to be able to view who had liked your posts, that might help with misuse (liking a Sh!tty post) if they were publicly available, at least to the recipients.
    You can on the non mobile site.

Although occasionally you may find yourself liking then un-liking an objectionable post.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    edited May 2021
    Jezyboy said:

seanoconn said:

My complaint is that the comments attacking people personally always get the most likes.

There should be a ranking system of members to do with likes to encourage quality posts/personal attacks 😂

It would be nice to be able to view who had liked your posts, that might help with misuse (liking a Sh!tty post) if they were publicly available, at least to the recipients.

Although occasionally you may find yourself liking then un-liking an objectionable post.

Really 😃

I’ll have to fire up the laptop later to see if someone other than my mum has been liking my posts. 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    edited May 2021
    Already posted by someone.
  • elbowloh
    seanoconn said:

Jezyboy said:

seanoconn said:

Really 😃

I’ll have to fire up the laptop later to see if someone other than my mum has been liking my posts. 👍

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    seanoconn said:

Jezyboy said:

seanoconn said:

Really 😃

What a good idea.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno

womack said:

This.

Bye.
    No one takes MF seriously.

SG is a man of mystery. I suggest you don't go to Itsu and you don't drink the tea.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Am I to understand there are too many woke people and not enough diversity?

I am reeling from discovering that other than RJST I am the only one without a holiday home
    Just to clarify. I have nothing against centre left middle class white blokes with holiday homes and good pensions, just that it would be nice to see a more diverse body of opinion sometimes. On the holiday homes thing, there was recently a thread dedicated to buying a second home abroad and another about a bloke with a double glazed shed and I thought those two topics were the perfect metaphor for cakestop.
    I am nowhere near centre left
    middle class
    white (but could not pass for it)
    bloke
    not even the hint of a holiday home

the audience is self selecting as you need to be able to have access to a computer throughout the working day with no monitoring
    You know that people can log into forums outside of work hours though right? The fact that most of the activity seems to take place amongst the demographic and times you have identified raises the question why other people choose not to? There are probably tons of reasons for this but if one of them is that some people feel like their opinions arent valued for whatever reason, then that's something that can be easily addressed. Robust debate is fine and what we're all here for but condescension not so much. it's not always overt and it's probably not even done consciously most of the time but it exists. Just my thoughts, I'm sure I'd get on fine with most of you if we were sat in a pub (or the wine bar obviously 😉)
    As you say most of the activity is in the traditional day which excludes bus drivers etc
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited May 2021

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Am I to understand there are too many woke people and not enough diversity?

I am reeling from discovering that other than RJST I am the only one without a holiday home
    Just to clarify. I have nothing against centre left middle class white blokes with holiday homes and good pensions, just that it would be nice to see a more diverse body of opinion sometimes. On the holiday homes thing, there was recently a thread dedicated to buying a second home abroad and another about a bloke with a double glazed shed and I thought those two topics were the perfect metaphor for cakestop.
    I am nowhere near centre left
    middle class
    white (but could not pass for it)
    bloke
    not even the hint of a holiday home

the audience is self selecting as you need to be able to have access to a computer throughout the working day with no monitoring
    You know that people can log into forums outside of work hours though right? The fact that most of the activity seems to take place amongst the demographic and times you have identified raises the question why other people choose not to? There are probably tons of reasons for this but if one of them is that some people feel like their opinions arent valued for whatever reason, then that's something that can be easily addressed. Robust debate is fine and what we're all here for but condescension not so much. it's not always overt and it's probably not even done consciously most of the time but it exists. Just my thoughts, I'm sure I'd get on fine with most of you if we were sat in a pub (or the wine bar obviously 😉)
    As you say most of the activity is in the traditional day which excludes bus drivers etc
    Yes but why aren't Bus Drivers (or road sweepers, or supermarket workers or whatever) logging on and contributing after work? Presumably they ride bikes too?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    There seems to be a bit of a theme that people want to be able to post their opinions and not be challenged about them.
    Errrmmm
  • elbowloh
    edited May 2021
    morstar said:

There seems to be a bit of a theme that people want to be able to post their opinions and not be challenged about them.
    Errrmmm

No there isn't...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    elbowloh said:

morstar said:

Errrmmm

No there isn't...
    This isn’t an argument!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    elbowloh said:

morstar said:

Errrmmm

No there isn't...
    yes there is

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited May 2021
    morstar said:

Errrmmm

It's more to do with not wanting to be talked down to or mocked for having an opinion that's not shared by a core group of posters. Robust debate is fine, banter is fine, getting occasionally angry is fine but the question is why is it such a narrow and ever decreasing demographic generating the majority of the content?
  • morstar
    shortfall said:

morstar said:

Errrmmm

It's more to do with not wanting to be talked down to or mocked for having an opinion that's not shared by a core group of posters. Robust debate is fine, banter is fine, getting occasionally angry is fine but the question is why is it such a narrow and ever decreasing demographic generating the majority of the content?
    I think the loss of posters is a natural thing (from all viewpoints). The problem is there is no new blood coming in for reasons already mentioned.

I also think the demographic is massively self selecting by virtue of being a cycling forum. Cycling was still pretty niche only a decade ago which is probably when I stumbled across a very vibrant bike radar forum.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    pblakeney said:

"Leaving" whilst still having an account and reading posts apparently.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

"Leaving" whilst still having an account and reading posts apparently.
    from some of the posters above, yup, this completely then chucking a bit of abuse out and scuttling off to hide under their rocks again.

tbh, its the sort of person who is a tool in real life amd given this place is no more than an electronic pub you'd just give their table of braying scheemgles a wide berth anyway in real life.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I remember surfercyclist from a while back. He was around on BB when the MFs took a break in Belize or Burundi or wherever.

He came across as an utter pr1ck if I remember rightly, so much so that I thought he was one the MF's taking the piss to see what he could get away with.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    143 posts on this thread already - a few old posters coming out of the woodwork for a good moan - things are looking up.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Snowflakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Been here a long time, and from a non-UK perspective, this place has changed from a fairly broad-based topics site to one that is much narrower since Brexit and Covid happened. Politics and current affairs are the subject-du-jour. Bikes? Hardly get a mention...

I genuinely feel sorry for you UK residents having gone through all that. The average tone of posts here has markedly changed in the last few years, from relatively cheerful overall to something that sounds a lot less happy. I doubt thats intentional; more like just a reflection of what life is like at the moment.

Still a worthwhile place to drop in.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    pblakeney said:

I've only ever bought one new bike in my life. That was in 2006.

How many second hand? 😉
    I will clarify. I last bought a frame in 2011.
    A lot of second hand bikes. I'm quite hard on bikes in general. I have also bought one new frame.
  • pinno
    Pop corn time again.

Love it.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    edited May 2021

Oh yeah and apparently was going to Everest Hardknot Pass.

Bye.

Oh yes, I remember that... at the time I was sceptical about it... I always thought you need a particular mindset for that challenge and MF seems the restless kind, who would give up quite early on...
    Last December I set out to do a half in the Cotswolds, but I lost the will to live after a third... I figured out it was going to get dark and I was bored stiff... If I had to do it again, I wouldn't rely on SPAM

https://www.strava.com/activities/4475094635

left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    hopkinb said:

I remember surfercyclist from a while back. He was around on BB when the MFs took a break in Belize or Burundi or wherever.

He came across as an utter pr1ck if I remember rightly, so much so that I thought he was one the MF's taking the piss to see what he could get away with.

As you are here... I've tried to send you a part refund on paypal for the Audax, but the money was returned... what shall I do, shall I send it to your brother instead?
    left the forum March 2023
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

hopkinb said:

As you are here... I've tried to send you a part refund on paypal for the Audax, but the money was returned... what shall I do, shall I send it to your brother instead?

That's spy talk, for sure.