Which carbon wheels

Hello I was wondering if someone could please provide me with some advice on buying new wheels
I am currently riding on Vision Team 35s and looking to upgrade to some deeper carbon wheels
my short list is;

TOKEN C45R RESOLUTE CARBON TUBELESS WHEELSET - https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/token-c45r-resolute-carbon-tubeless-wheelset/11418568.html

Prime RR-50 V3 Carbon Clincher Wheelset - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-v3-carbon-clincher-wheelset?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=103635754&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjwj6SEBhAOEiwAvFRuKKBrMavS5ZtGvO0gHsTVW81nK_dAWGwJU3XqO5nKDQL7GuyJls-DEBoCYU8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

HUNT 50 CARBON WIDE AERO WHEELSET - https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-rim-brake-wheels/products/hunt-55carbon-wide-aero-road-wheelset-1549g-55deep-26wide-999?variant=32315136868429

the Hunts are the most expensive but also the lightest however I am stuck between the £300 and the 100g weight saving

any answers appreciated thank you !!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    You won't notice 100g difference, don't know about you but I could buy something worthwhile with £300.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

You won't notice 100g difference, don't know about you but I could buy something worthwhile with £300.

Not enough for a cooker though...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162727302765?hash=item25e34d966d:g:P-AAAOSwE-lZ8u-D

A handbuilt alternative (worth paying the extra for thr Bitex hubs IMO)

• lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited April 2021
    https://www.lightbicycle.com

You could have some nice 55mm deep wheels with DTSwiss 240EXP hubs and Sapim CXray spokes on brass nipples - for less money than the Hunts.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited April 2021
    Depending on how light you are, you could consider the winspace hyper 50/50 wheels.

https://winspace.cc/wheels/road-wheels/hyper-wheels.html

They are nye on 300g lighter than the Primes, and would seem to get rave reviews on many levels.

You'd need to factor in import costs as well, but i suspect they would end up around the same cost as the Hunts, but 200g lighter of course.

They are out of stuck currently, so not sure how 'urgent' it is for you.

When I was looking, I was flipping a coin between Scribe and Cero - was planning to go Cero, as they had £100 off at the time, so were 20% cheaper than scribe, but then some immaculate 2nd hand Enve's turned up and that was that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    elbowloh said:

Not enough for a cooker though...
    No, but it would pay for an induction compatible mocha and a LOT of coffee
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Lately, I've joined the time trialling band wagon.... I have no expectations to do well, so I haven't invested in equipment. However, I do like to look at what people use and if you want speed, then you have to buy what the fastest people buy.
    I've seen a lot of Walker Brothers wheels, they seem to be popular... I haven't seen any Token or Prime. I've seen some hunt, but more in the Hill climbs than in TT.
    The 45-55 seem to be mostly for "posing" and folks who want to go fast tend to use the deepest legal rims they can get their hands on, so 80 mm front, give or take.
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    The EZ Disc rear cover could well be worth a look for you Ugo - £135, and on his site he will shortly be publishing some testing results carried out in a wind tunnel between the EZ Disc and budget, mid priced and premium full disc wheels.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    daniel_b said:

The EZ Disc rear cover could well be worth a look for you Ugo - £135, and on his site he will shortly be publishing some testing results carried out in a wind tunnel between the EZ Disc and budget, mid priced and premium full disc wheels.

I think I am a long way away from a disc wheel purchase... looking at the maths, having nothing aero, I am apparently losing around 40 Watt to someone with all the gear. Problem is that in order to win a race I am also short of 100 Watt (plus the 40 of the aero kit), so I would just spend a lot of money to climb 5-6 places in the leaderboard...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    The token wheels have Campag hubs - not sure if you were aware.

They will likely all Lok nice, but you should have an idea of what you are realistically expecting from this new wheelset.
    An increase of 1mph on your average sped for no extra effort?
    Getting up your local climb faster with no extra effort?
    Holding a bit more speed on the flat?

You may get the biggest benefit by changing your tyres to something faster (not sure what you have now.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Lately, I've joined the time trialling band wagon.... I have no expectations to do well, so I haven't invested in equipment. However, I do like to look at what people use and if you want speed, then you have to buy what the fastest people buy.
    I've seen a lot of Walker Brothers wheels, they seem to be popular... I haven't seen any Token or Prime. I've seen some hunt, but more in the Hill climbs than in TT.
    The 45-55 seem to be mostly for "posing" and folks who want to go fast tend to use the deepest legal rims they can get their hands on, so 80 mm front, give or take.

Walker Brothers.

Make it Easy on Yourself.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    order of preference

Prime/Merlin/Selcof/Chinese/Planet X

Anything else

Golf Mk 5

Hunt

£300 is a lot to pay for utterly nothing different from something £300 less, but hey, its your cash
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia

Walker Brothers.

Make it Easy on Yourself.
    I will, if you sponsor me... :)

Seriously... I need minutes, not seconds... I don't know what to do with a handful of seconds. If I could get 2 minutes quicker on a 10 by spending a grand on carbon wheels, I would be all over it, reality is more like 10-20 seconds
  • daniel_b
    Or perhaps the Righteous brothers could help:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • thanks for all the answers! so basically the Hunts are worth it compared to the Prime
    my current wheels weigh around 1,820g according to road.cc
    so think I am swinging more towards the primes for the 200g difference - that must make a difference right haha!?
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    daniel_b said:

Or perhaps the Righteous brothers could help:

I thought the guy on the right was Tony Blair.
    So Far!
  • tri-king
    tri-king Posts: 166
    edited May 2021
    Bought myself a set of shimano token c45r from Wiggle before they entirely sold out as I fancied an all round wheel for general cycling and triathlon> previously had DA 9000 C24 and c50 but got fed up with the faff of altering brake caliper when changing - quite pathetic, I know!😂
    First time with all carbon wheel and braking not as immediate but sure Ill get accustomed. So far very impressed with the Tokens for the money👍