Pedal Service

As i'm off the bike for a few weeks I'm giving my bike a full service but I can't get hold of the Shimano tool for the pedal axle (without paying over the odds). It's sold out everywhere online that sells it for a couple of quid and not available at the LBS or nearest Halfords.

Given the SPD-SLs on the bike have never been serviced in the 14 years I've had them and still function as pedals albeit spin a bit too freely for my liking, should i just accept that it's the one part that doesn't get a proper service or is there another way to get the axle out?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Yep, 1x 17mm open ended spanned and 1x 20mm open ended spanner is all you need to strip the pedals.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,555
    As well as a re-grease, you can also remove any play in the bearings (if you have any). Once you've removed the axle from the body (with tool tl-pd40 above), there are 2 nuts on the end of the axle (7mm and 10mm if I remember). loosen the locknut (7mm), then adjust the larger nut. Don't overtighten and check that the bearing turns freely. Using threadlock on the locknut threads is advisable.
    Once clean, half fill the pedal body with grease. When you screw the axle back in the grease is forced through-purging any old grease out past the seal.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    It's a really satisfying job (if not a little messy) as you tighten it all back up again and the grease farts and burps its way out.

Appreciate the tool is a little pricey for what it is, but it's so easy to munch the part on the pedal if you try and bodge it without. I'd say it's worth biting the bullet and getting it, as you'll soon forget about the few quid it costs once you have it. For me it's always worth getting the right tool for a job as a good tool will last forever and make the job so much easier...importantly with no damage caused.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    After 14 years I think I'd just buy a new pair!
  • pblakeney said:
    Ordered, thanks PB, not found that website before. As others have said, best to get the right tool for the job.
  • pblakeney
    nibnob21 said:

It's a really satisfying job (if not a little messy) as you tighten it all back up again and the grease farts and burps its way out.

Appreciate the tool is a little pricey for what it is, but it's so easy to munch the part on the pedal if you try and bodge it without. I'd say it's worth biting the bullet and getting it, as you'll soon forget about the few quid it costs once you have it. For me it's always worth getting the right tool for a job as a good tool will last forever and make the job so much easier...importantly with no damage caused.

£3.95 is expensive? 🤔
    I appreciate you will have to buy something else to get free postage.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • £3.95 is almost twice the price it is at some places (where out of stock) but also half the price it is on ebay/Amazon (In stock). Supply and Demand in action. Bought some extra brake pads instead of paying for postage.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    there are a couple of vids on You Tube - looks uncomplicated as long as you have the right tools. i use candy pedals and I serviced those after watching how easy it is to do the Shimano ones. 14 yrs? maybe bin them but some grease and an adjustment might get a few more yrs out of them. Didnt realise that pedals of a brand eg shimano are all the same inside or the method of servicing is the same whether DA or cheap mtb ones
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    pblakeney said:

nibnob21 said:

£3.95 is expensive? 🤔
    Expensive for what it is, yes. It's a small piece of plastic that costs 4 quid.

Expensive and low price tag aren't always mutually exclusive.
  • pblakeney
    nibnob21 said:

pblakeney said:

nibnob21 said:

£3.95 is expensive? 🤔
    Expensive for what it is, yes. It's a small piece of plastic that costs 4 quid.

Expensive and low price tag aren't always mutually exclusive.
    If it saves me buying new pedals or paying a mechanic and comes in at less than a pint then I consider it to be cheap. I can think of other bits of plastic that cost a whole lot more. Each to their own.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • flycop
    flycop Posts: 20
    I re greased my Ultegra pedals last week, only needed one spanner. Takes 10 mins max.
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    Big thumbs up for anyone considering using High On Bikes, prices are decent, service was first rate and delivery prompt (and free at over a tenner). Will use again!
  • pblakeney
    You are welcome! 😉
    Veronese68 wrote: