Tips for stopping "warmers" falling down?

RedClip
RedClip Posts: 110
edited April 2021 in Road beginners
Maybe a stupid question, but...

Does anyone have any tips/hacks to stop either leg or arm warmers from falling down whilst riding (apart from building up your muscles)?
For example, when I use my "Winter" bib shorts, they do a good job or keeping my leg warmers up. But my "Summer" bib shorts don't, due to them being slightly wider in the leg. But the shorts aren't the problem, it's the poor grippers in the warmers (Castelli and DHB brands).
Is there an easy way to add more grip to the warmers?

Thanks.

** Edit **
Mods, can be closed now. Thanks.

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    In reality it's a question of buying some that fit properly, have decent grips and haven't stretched in the wash/ with too much use
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    My warmers stay up with all my shorts.
    I have Castelli leg warmers and they have grippers on both the inside to grip my legs and on the outside so they grip the inside of the shorts.
    Maybe your summer shorts are a bit too loose?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    get a size smaller warmer?

I'm an l/xl in castelli shorts/jerseys, but get a m/l warmer.
  • RedClip
    RedClip Posts: 110
    Thanks for the help everyone :)

To answer my own question, searching Amazon for "silicone gripper elastic" looks like a solution, once sewn to the warmers.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    A staple gun if that doesn’t work will see you right.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    or just pinch the gripper strip and stitch it together ?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Onegear said:

or just pinch the gripper strip and stitch it together ?

+1 for this. Stitching in a little fold works very well.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    elastic bands or hair bobbles
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    ..but not an Alice band. That won't work.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    I found with my twig arms that only the Castelli ones had enough grip/were tight enough through the whole arm warmer to stay up. If even they don't work for you, maybe a string between them going under your jersey like on kids' gloves?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I've found that the warmers that stay up best for me are actually the ones that don't rely on grippers but instead have stretchier, grippier fabric that seems to grip over the entire arm/leg. The DeFeet ones are like that and also some Giro ones that I have.

A Santini pair I have that do have grippers on them required the fold and stitch method as referred to above.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Yes I think if they stretch more the movement of the leg is less likely to pull them down. Also tighter/smaller isn't necessarily better for similar reasons - if they are already on full stretch bending the knee is going to pull them - a stretchier fabric has a wider sweet spot between too tight and wrinkled .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    It’s all about getting the correct size and quality that means they don’t stretch over time thus getting bigger. I have Assos & Rapha arm warmers, which are at least 5 years old and hold up well. I have Sportful leg warmers that were a tad too big and slip down, whereas I now have two pairs of Le Col leg warmers which fit perfectly and stay put. It’s all in the fit and the quality.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have some Assos leg warmers that seem to be right size I.e they are tight and take some getting on. However I end up looking like Nora Batty after an hour or so.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Safety pins on short sleeves to hold up arm warmers. Works ok for my bean pole son.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• I have Aldi ones, dirt cheap and they seem to stay up fine.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    The Aldi ones I have are okay but thin and not as warm.
    Being warm is the whole point IMO.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    One of mine slipped down the other day and make me look like some weirdo out of the Rocky Horror Show!!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Suspenders. Cycling gear is pretty kinky to begin with so no one will even notice.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707
    On the arms, those armbands gangsters used to wear (were their shirt sleeves always too long?), however a bit higher than Cagney wore his.

On the legs, those wedding garters brides used to wear (and maybe still do?)

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    My DHB arm/leg warmers have silicon grips both on the underneath to grip to your skin and on the top to grip to your shorts/jerseys (see example here: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-regulate-thermal-arm-warmers). This is a big improvement on an older version I had which just gripped your skin (which are probably the sort the OP had that didn't grip). I have both Regulate light and Rain defence models like this, I think they changed a couple of years ago to this design.

If you pair with jerseys / shorts with decent grippers, there is no chance of those shifting at all, though all the comments abourt getting the right size etc. still apply.