What's happened to this forum?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

A few points

1) in general fora are less popular... they tend to be hostile places for disgruntled middle aged folks and the newer generations are not keen on online bullying, of which we do get a lot.

2) The forum upgrade a couple of years back made is less user friendly, as said earlier

3) A few knowledgeable individuals have left... you always have to balance the time you spend on here Vs the time spent doing something else and when you realise you could spend the same time doing something better, then you leave.

4) On the plus side, a few obnoxious individuals have been kicked out, which has recently made the place a bit more bearable, but obviously decreased traffic further

I'd be very much surprised if there was less bullying on FB, Instagram and the like. Online bullying of young people, by other young people is a massive problem and it's not happening in forums.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    It's not been the same since we lost Frank Wilson.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    womack said:

It's not been the same since we lost Frank Wilson.

But the hedgehogs are a lot happier.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

I personally treat it as a pub.

Pop in. Chat to people you like. Finish your drink, head off.

This is what I said to the wife. It's Covid, we can't go to the pub and chat shoite, so I'm doing it here.
    You have two kids under the age of 2. You’ll still be here when the pubs open 😂
    Tis true.

the in-laws did offer to baby-sit just this morning...

Got my brother's wedding coming up in July too.
    can you talk him out of it?
    This is marriage number 2 also. Nah they're good.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    shortfall said:

It's a bit like the Oscars. The people who are still taking part think it's wonderful but they haven't noticed that everyone else has switched off.

...and you are still here :)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    pinno said:

shortfall said:

It's a bit like the Oscars. The people who are still taking part think it's wonderful but they haven't noticed that everyone else has switched off.

...and you are still here :)
    Yeah clinging on. Old habits die hard.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Any ideas for recruiting more posters, join some cycling Facebook groups and mention how friendly Bike Radar is? bring a friend day ???

Anyone else used to post on Veloriders? Think that gets about one post every year now. I'm assuming they pull the plug before this place got like that.

Maybe it's just me but I don't find this place too unfriendly - everyone gets into arguments sometimes best thing is just stop looking at the thread - you never know if the person is just having a bad day. Compared to football Facebook groups I'm on this place is very civilised - and these are groups where everyone follows the same team.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited April 2021
    The main problem is the terrible software. There are various really good, modern forum platforms out there (Xenforo being the best), but for whatever reason the Bikeradar team went with this pile of rubbish. It's utterly awful.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151

Any ideas for recruiting more posters, join some cycling Facebook groups and mention how friendly Bike Radar is? bring a friend day ???

Anyone else used to post on Veloriders? Think that gets about one post every year now. I'm assuming they pull the plug before this place got like that.

Maybe it's just me but I don't find this place too unfriendly - everyone gets into arguments sometimes best thing is just stop looking at the thread - you never know if the person is just having a bad day. Compared to football Facebook groups I'm on this place is very civilised - and these are groups where everyone follows the same team.

Given what I said above about why this place is getting less interesting, the there is one possible solution.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
    Some of the competitors are able to attract "celebrities", I have spotted famous time triallists on Cycling UK forum, Weight Weenies and of course on the CTT forum. Here we seem to lack our niche, in other words, what is this forum good for? It is a very generic place where you can discuss Covid-19 vaccines, Ardennes classics or the latest Trek offering, but it does lack recognisable expertise and even the non recognisable expertise is moving elsewhere (Monty Dog? Cycleclinic?).
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249

...but it does lack recognisable expertise and even the non recognisable expertise is moving elsewhere (Monty Dog? Cycleclinic?).

David37 that was posting until fairly recently was very good on bike repairs, unfortunately as a person he was rather more lacking and got himself banned.

• Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    Online bullying among the youth is rampant, they just dont need too many words to get their points across. Its actually quite ugly and worse than when I was a kid growing up by 10x. Nothing is sacred anymore.

As for bringing more people in... This is a very UK-centric forum, so unless you want to expand that reach and demographic there are saturation limits. For example in all my years of riding across the pond, bikeradar only popped up a few times in my searches. Likewise over here, the google yt algos seem to exclude NA based stuff and steer me here and cyclingweekly.
  • ugo.santalucia

...but it does lack recognisable expertise and even the non recognisable expertise is moving elsewhere (Monty Dog? Cycleclinic?).

David37 that was posting until fairly recently was very good on bike repairs, unfortunately as a person he was rather more lacking and got himself banned.

Well, axxeholes are ubiquitous on the web, the point is whether there is a specific expertise and maybe at some point here there was some, but right now there isn't. In my many lives on YACF I disagreed with pretty much everyone on there, but I accept it is the place to go if you want info on Audax or long distance riding in general... you go on Weight Weenies if you want very technical knowledge on the latest equipment... but what's the USP of this place?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,589

... but what's the USP of this place?

As said above. It is like going to the pub for the chat. Sometimes interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes boring, sometimes annoying. But we keep coming back.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    The only USP is that its a casual hangout. People just need to realise that and the fact that lthpugh they belong to Chelmsford Wheelers they ain't MvdP.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The casual pub chat is fine, but you are unlikely to attract new punters... normally they come looking for cycling advice and if that sucks, then they go elsewhere
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

Some of the competitors are able to attract "celebrities", I have spotted famous time triallists on Cycling UK forum, Weight Weenies and of course on the CTT forum. Here we seem to lack our niche, in other words, what is this forum good for? It is a very generic place where you can discuss Covid-19 vaccines, Ardennes classics or the latest Trek offering, but it does lack recognisable expertise and even the non recognisable expertise is moving elsewhere (Monty Dog? Cycleclinic?).

I think Cycle Clinic left because he got fed up with few smartarses telling him he was wrong about bike repairs and wheel building when he literally does it for a living and is a Campagnolo approved repair shop no less. That and some saddos picking him up on his spelling. Very sad as he was a valuable contributer and we're worse off without him. I was sad to see David37 go too. Seems like he was banned for saying something in Cakestop that lots of people in the real world would agree with. Hopefully he'll be back. I think that's part of the problem here. People are entitled to find David or Coopster objectionable but if they are excluded from debate we end up with a bland mush of liberal, centre left groupthink where a bunch of white middle class blokes with good jobs, pensions and second homes abroad all largely agree with each other and look down their noses at those who don't share their view of the world (yes I know you don't have second homes abroad but the point stands).
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,127
    Don't lump Coopster in with David.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    shortfall said:

I think Cycle Clinic left because he got fed up with few smartarses telling him he was wrong about bike repairs and wheel building when he literally does it for a living and is a Campagnolo approved repair shop no less. That and some saddos picking him up on his spelling. Very sad as he was a valuable contributer and we're worse off without him. I was sad to see David37 go too. Seems like he was banned for saying something in Cakestop that lots of people in the real world would agree with. Hopefully he'll be back. I think that's part of the problem here. People are entitled to find David or Coopster objectionable but if they are excluded from debate we end up with a bland mush of liberal, centre left groupthink where a bunch of white middle class blokes with good jobs, pensions and second homes abroad all largely agree with each other and look down their noses at those who don't share their view of the world (yes I know you don't have second homes abroad but the point stands).
    I have no idea why they were banned but assume it was for their objectionable behaviour rather than their viewpoints.
  • elbowloh
    shortfall said:

Not technically all white either.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

shortfall said:

I have no idea why they were banned but assume it was for their objectionable behaviour rather than their viewpoints.
    I think bans have more been for personal attacks/name calling right?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

The casual pub chat is fine, but you are unlikely to attract new punters... normally they come looking for cycling advice and if that sucks, then they go elsewhere

depends who you are after.

if you want clubbie nerds, head elsewhere. if you want very experienced cyclists who take it all with a pinch of salt and don't live with their heads up their back sides them crack on....

pro race people are pretty straight, so maybe thats the area for the people you are after?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,589
    edited April 2021

It's a pretty good analogy really. Have you been in a traditional pub recently? They appear to be dying off too unless they are in a tourist hotspot. Local pub for local people. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

They weren't the same person?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,127

I see a difference between someone who sometimes went over the top and a pure troll. Once you realise the sole aim is to wind you up, it stops winding you up. But it doesn't make for interesting posting.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    edited April 2021
    Been a member (reading only) of this board for nearly six years. Posted first time recently when needing some advice. Advice given fitted the bill so thankful for that.

However was always hesitant to post in the general threads as my reading of the board was that if you weren't one of the established many thousands of posts members your opinions and input were not entertained.

I think / guess this would put a lot of new members off, they may try and engage a couple of times only to find themselves in the middle of a "private conversation" amongst the aforementioned so not bother to try and join in again and just disappear until perhaps they need a bit of technical help.

The other problem I see, on here and other boards to be fair, is that there appears to be one "view" and anybody who disagrees with it is not listened to and branded with some ism.

Edit. Yes I do have a holiday home but never had a company pension, hard work paid for it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249

I don't think so, David had useful technical contributions. I doubt either of them would be quite so lippy in person.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484

I think Coopster really believed in what he was posting whereas David seemed to be trying really hard to be 'edgy'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ugo.santalucia
    I met Coopster in real life many years ago and before he became obnoxious on this forum. We went for a ride in Berkshire, together with the guy who renovated the water tower in Amersham on Grand Design. He did seem a rather normal guy... who would have thought there was a maniac inside...
    I can confirm he definitively wasn't a guy who knew much about mechanical stuff, so not the same guy as David37 for sure...