thursday in one more dimension

'ning

almost may, yet winter continues, troubling hints of rain in forecast

ride, cafes, wfh etc.
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, cold , tigger walked, a nice hot brew is required, I might have a few hours in the garden if it warms up
    Have a good day
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, cold , tigger walked, a nice hot brew is required, I might have a few hours in the garden when it warms up
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859

Morning, cold , tigger walked, a nice hot brew is required, I might have a few hours in the garden if it warms up
    Have a good day

Morning, cold , tigger walked, a nice hot brew is required, I might have a few hours in the garden when it warms up
    Have a good day

Wonder if I will get time to double post when I retire....... / ok, wonder if the bugs in the platform will be sorted by then
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Broken sleep thanks to jab but feel ok, so will probably go for a gentle run followed by the pub later
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ciao, hope all is good

in the gym. what have i missed?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    MattFalle said:

ciao, hope all is good

fk all :smile:
  • thistle_
    sungod said:

'ning

almost may, yet winter continues, troubling hints of rain in forecast

ride, cafes, wfh etc.

I'll settle for cold and sunny as summer rather than the typical warm but wet.

Went for a now rare bike ride this morning and didn't die.
    WFH
    Trip out
    WFH
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

ciao, hope all is good

excellent! not even one minor squabble?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    We thought you'd gone to Scotchland.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    tlw1 said:

Broken sleep thanks to jab but feel ok, so will probably go for a gentle run followed by the pub later

Restricted to right arm only.

Where tf have you been MF? I want an explanation.

Threatening clouds. Meh. Will pedal and curse Thor.
    Would have gone earlier but Mrs P went into Morrissons and mysteriously disappeared for an eternity and came out light.
    Not even a bottle of Chablis.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Communt communted. bit chilly in the northerly, but kit was chosen well. I really really must buy a headset - graunch graunch grind grind. Legs are starting to respond to being used more regularly, though I am still slow slow slow.

About 10 days after my moderna jab I got a big red raised hot and itchy patch at the jab site. Nowt to worry about apparently, so I'm not. Worrying that is.
  • hopkinb
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

ciao, hope all is good

Going to buy a headset - pizza and coffee for whoever comes to help/show me how to fit it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    hopkinb said:

thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

ciao, hope all is good

Going to buy a headset - pizza and coffee for whoever comes to help/show me how to fit it.
    You could youtube it and keep the pizza and coffee for yourself.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    I'm starved of human company that isn't my family. ;)

I'm trying to buy friends with snacks and beverages.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    hopkinb said:

Not much of a shortlist its only Veronese and Seano on it :)

Survived year end close meeting with the auditors. Now off out to look at a house.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    hopkinb said:

are you sure it doesn't just need the bearings cleaned and greased?

if they really are shot, i'd just get new bearings, the rest of the bits are likely to be fine

remove front wheel, also you'll probably need to unbolt the brake from the fork to allow the fork to be removed

remove top-cap, unclamp stem, drop the fork out (carefully)

details vary depending on type of headset, in general as you remove each piece of headset, thread it onto a string/stick/whatever so that you know which order/orientation to replace it in
  • hopkinb
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Not much of a shortlist its only Veronese and Seano on it :)

Survived year end close meeting with the auditors. Now off out to look at a house.
    I think Seano puts his bike into a shop when it makes strange noises.

My audit close meeting is Tuesday - they've been pretty quiet so far.

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    New garmin arrived, work is a shit show today, keep throwing the problems my way please....

just about lunch time, wonder what is in the fridge.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • hopkinb
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

if they really are shot, i'd just get new bearings, the rest of the bits are likely to be fine

remove front wheel, also you'll probably need to unbolt the brake from the fork to allow the fork to be removed

details vary depending on type of headset, in general as you remove each piece of headset, thread it onto a string/stick/whatever so that you know which order/orientation to replace it in
    Probably does only need cleaning and regreasing, but I've had the bike 7 years now - and the right sized headset was in the clearance section of Planet X for only £19.99 - "down from £54.99". Also picked up a cable guide thingy for the hydraulic hose that is routed down the fork, which had fallen off.

Must also buy a spare cassette, though I don't think that this one's had much use, must get the chain stretch measurer out.

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,001
    Managed to dodge a hail storm this morning. WFW, wander around the village later with wifey plus some exciting online shopping.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

Probably does only need cleaning and regreasing, but I've had the bike 7 years now - and the right sized headset was in the clearance section of Planet X for only £19.99 - "down from £54.99". Also picked up a cable guide thingy for the hydraulic hose that is routed down the fork, which had fallen off.

Must also buy a spare cassette, though I don't think that this one's had much use, must get the chain stretch measurer out.

What cassette? I must have 4 kicking around.

You can do postal order repairs via Pinno.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

cassettes from germany are cheap at the moment :smiley:

see if you can swap bearings from new headset into old one

if you can, do it, keep new headset bits for the day they are actually needed, taking the chance to note the bearing codes that might be etched on the outside

if old bearings rusty, bin

if not rusty, carefully remove seals without crinkling them, flush with isopropanol/other degreaser

see if they feel smooth or rough

if rough, bin

if smooth, pack with waterproof grease, seal, you have them ready for next time

i'm currently testing buying from france to see if that is also vat free :smiley:
  • thistle_
    sungod said:

i'm currently testing buying from france to see if that is also vat free :smiley:

I need new cassettes soon so might try Germany/France.
    If it's not VAT free do you pay VAT + huge parcelforce/RM handling fee?
  • sungod
    thistle_ said:

sungod said:

roughly it's like this for a uk consumer buying from eu...

items up to 135 pounds, the eu retailer charges vat and pays to the uk it via the system - individual eu retailers need to be set up to do this, presumably why some gave up on selling to uk

above that value the eu retailer must not charge vat, instead the vat is due on import, plus any duty, plus a processing fee from the carrier

afaik eu countries were ready to enforce this for uk-->eu sales on 1/1/2021

but the uk government failed to get things ready and has been pushing the dates further back, some checks won't be in place until 2022

result is that uk consumer buying from the eu for more than 135 pounds may result in zero vat at point of sale, and zero vat/duty/fee on import

for the cassette i bought, the customs declaration attached to the package was correct, they hadn't gamed the system by fiddling value, nothing dodgy simply what the uk government chose to allow

my guess is it'll be a coin toss what happens for some time
  • hopkinb
    edited April 2021
    Where are all the cassettes? I want an 11 speed sram 11-28, not too fussed if it's rival or force. Stock levels are zero. I prefer the sram over the shimano as it goes 19-17-16-15 in the middle of the block, whereas shimano goes 21-19-17-15.
  • hopkinb
    Who is your magic supplier sungod?
  • sungod
    hopkinb said:

Where are all the cassettes? I want an 11 speed sram 11-28, not too fussed if it's rival or force. Stock levels are zero. I prefer the sram over the shimano as it goes 19-17-16-15 in the middle of the block, whereas shimano goes 21-19-17-15.

pm'd you

a lot of stuff seems out of stock in uk, i've been searching eu sites and picking up parts for now/future whenever the pricing is ok

once travel is easy/regular again, i think i'll be getting eu chums to order and collecting when i/they visit (shh!)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    Long day of physical work, if you desk jockeys know what that means. Virtual meet over a couple of beers later, c'mon Spaffer get the pubs open so we wouldn't have to sit in verging on sub-zero were we to venture out.

Anyway, what I have learned today. That the kickmoneyballer Patrick Bamford is NOT a member of the JCB family. Courtesy of him chatting on That Peter Crouch podcast. That falsehood has a lot of traction.
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

thistle_ said:

sungod said:

roughly it's like this for a uk consumer buying from eu...

items up to 135 pounds, the eu retailer charges vat and pays to the uk it via the system - individual eu retailers need to be set up to do this, presumably why some gave up on selling to uk

above that value the eu retailer must not charge vat, instead the vat is due on import, plus any duty, plus a processing fee from the carrier

afaik eu countries were ready to enforce this for uk-->eu sales on 1/1/2021

but the uk government failed to get things ready and has been pushing the dates further back, some checks won't be in place until 2022

result is that uk consumer buying from the eu for more than 135 pounds may result in zero vat at point of sale, and zero vat/duty/fee on import

for the cassette i bought, the customs declaration attached to the package was correct, they hadn't gamed the system by fiddling value, nothing dodgy simply what the uk government chose to allow

my guess is it'll be a coin toss what happens for some time
    They haven't missed charging VAT on any of my recent imports (pre or post Brexit), so either you've been lucky or I've been unlucky.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

The youth of today, eh...just booked in for my second jab next week. That means I'll have max protection in time for the indoor pub season :smiley: