'ning

summer still awol

ride, nip into gmc, bail, cafe, wfh, laze bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Ground too wet for trainers on this mornings hound walk 🙄

Hybrid commute today as I have my jab later, so might as well visit a nearby office.

Probably take it easier rather than running later
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited April 2021
    Morning, sunny and a little milder , shed roof to re felt today, cycling later if it’s fine
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    Lazy ferkers, office is empty and locked. Wish I still had my keys 🤬
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Done some yoga, WFH now.
    tlw1 said:

Ride back then?
    I was planning to WFW but didn't get organised in time which is a shame because we could've gone to the BMX track while waiting for your colleagues to show up :smiley:
  • tlw1
    thistle_ said:

Done some yoga, WFH now.

tlw1 said:

Ride back then?
    I was planning to WFW but didn't get organised in time which is a shame because we could've gone to the BMX track while waiting for your colleagues to show up :smiley:
    😂 Meant to text you last night
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Wfh, tour of mini's new school, wfh, dental hygienist, wfh. Such fun. Wfw again tomorrow, which means bike, which is obviously excellent.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    oxoman said:

Moaning All. Chilling at home, planning DIY for the rest of the summer. Luckily some won't be diy and be offloaded to contractors. Spend some dosh and also see if my winter bike needs any TLC before my tour de Northumbria in May. Hopefully some of the above will keep the OH happy and me in the good books.

We're off to Northumbrialandshire in July.

Sunny but nippy. Must inspect Conservatory roof before fitting of double glazed units/patio doors.
    The wood structure is good but the doors and windows (Douglas Fir) I put together 18 years ago have suffered the consequences of Jockland weather. So, we're going down the UPVC route. Should have quite an impact on the house.
    Maybe even extend the number of days you can sit in there comfortably by... 2?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Wfh for me. Just as well, as my legs still, ache a bit after yesterday's ride into town.

Year end tax clearance meeting tomorrow, so enjoyed annihilating some half arsed last minute claim by the auditors that we have a big tax exposure somewhere. I was quite polite when they backed down o:) Back on the acquisition trail later, seems were being told to splash the cash...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    "Splash the cash"? Real Madrid? They're looking for cash for that there moneyball splurge. Sound investment eh?

Deluge approacheth so client work rescheduled for tomorrow.

'Tis the season for price comparisons and switching of energy, broadband suppliers and kicking of useless water people for trying to hit me with randomly generated supposed meter reading, apparently I consumed the equivalent in their terms of 1,940 extra showers between October and April. I think I would have known about that.

A desk jockey day then.
  • pinno
    edited April 2021
    RM - was the Richest club in the world and now in hooge debt.
    Ha ha.
    I guess it's cost 'em millions to pay off all them managers. I also guess that's why Zidane is lasting so long.
    I know, lets create a superleague and that will pay off our debts.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Morning, wfw, nice commute down to Greenwich to see the river first, got moaned at for stopping at a red light, DSE assessment done (hoping to spring a new chair as the one I have now is making it difficult to have an afternoon kip), marking papers then staff meeting this afternoon.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

RM - was the Richest club in the world and now in hooge debt.
    Ha ha.
    I guess it's cost 'em millions to pay off all them managers. I also guess that's why Zidane is lasting so long.
    I know, lets create a superleague and that will pay off our debts.

Not for the first time.
    Quite a few years ago the Madrid local government bought their training ground off them for about £300m, when it was worth a fraction of that figure to get them out of a hole.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Morning folks,
    wfh for me today which is nice. Bit of faffing about with insurance for the kids car. Had to laugh when the renewal quote was dropped by £350, but I still got to tell them to poke it as it was £150 more than another quote. Shows how much they take the mick with renewal. Unfortunately the money saved will be spent this weekend on a new cooker, the oven packed up last night. Smeg cookers are clearly called that because they are a load of smeg. EPO liked the look of it and the thing has been a dog. Timer packed up first and a replacement unit was nearly as much as the whole cooker. So we bought a separate timer. Then one of the gas igniter things went, so we use a lighter. Now I need to replace an element in the oven.
    I feel rather more human today so should make it to the pub for the traditional Wednesday drinks later.
  • tlw1

Morning folks,
    wfh for me today which is nice. Bit of faffing about with insurance for the kids car. Had to laugh when the renewal quote was dropped by £350, but I still got to tell them to poke it as it was £150 more than another quote. Shows how much they take the mick with renewal. Unfortunately the money saved will be spent this weekend on a new cooker, the oven packed up last night. Smeg cookers are clearly called that because they are a load of smeg. EPO liked the look of it and the thing has been a dog. Timer packed up first and a replacement unit was nearly as much as the whole cooker. So we bought a separate timer. Then one of the gas igniter things went, so we use a lighter. Now I need to replace an element in the oven.
    I feel rather more human today so should make it to the pub for the traditional Wednesday drinks later.

At least you can get gas 🙄
  • elbowloh

Morning folks,

Oh. Ours is Smeg, built in thing from when we moved in in November. Hope it lasts, we don't have budget for other stuff after the move! Oven is electric and hob is gas.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    elbowloh said:

Morning folks,

Oh. Ours is Smeg, built in thing from when we moved in in November. Hope it lasts, we don't have budget for other stuff after the move! Oven is electric and hob is gas.
    Ours is also gas/electric but not built in. The EPO is now thinking along the lines of if we change the cooker should we get new worktops...
    I can see where this is heading.
    One useful thing I discovered previously when looking at fault fixing electric ovens is never to switch from one mode to another with the temperature setting up as that burns out the master control switch over time. Turn the temperature right down, then use the switch before turning it up again.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Morning folks,

Ours is also gas/electric but not built in. The EPO is now thinking along the lines of if we change the cooker should we get new worktops...
    I can see where this is heading.
    One useful thing I discovered previously when looking at fault fixing electric ovens is never to switch from one mode to another with the temperature setting up as that burns out the master control switch over time. Turn the temperature right down, then use the switch before turning it up again.
    At our last place i replaced the element and the thermostat myself, did a bit of googling and managed to find the bits quite cheaply in the end, even though it was quite an old model. So i could fix some basic things myself. Not touching anything gas related though obviously!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    Yes, things like elements and thermostats are fairly cheap. The clock unit was several hundred so never got replaced. I think the EPO was glad of an excuse to get a new cooker. About to whip the door off and check resistance of the elelment to see if it is indeed that. I suspect I will replace the element to keep it going so she can choose a replacement without time pressure.
    I much prefer fixing things to replacing them, not just becasue I'm tight.
    Does anyone have thoughts on induction hobs? Are they any good. Will my mocha pot work on one of them?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Induction is brilliant.

Your mocha pot won't work if it's aluminium.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550
    Yep, induction is excellent. Had one for 15 years now, wouldn't switch back to anything else.

Day of DIY in the shed, mainly machining pieces for the new balustrade. Router table mostly, plus the usual sanders and drop saws. A bit more finishing and soon be ready to install.

BBQ bangers with mash/peas for dinner.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    ^^^this

induction hob for 20+ years, instant control, heats way faster than gas and without the wasted energy in all the heated air escaping around the pan

bialetti have some for induction, complete with l’omino con i baffi as it should be
  • tlw1
    All this talk of wasted energy - get an aga to really waste energy.

• veronese68
    oxoman said:

...Elements tend to be standard designs today, but scratting around replacing them in greasy ovens yuk. No way...

Remarkably clean in there, I was expecting worse. Element came out easily enough, completely blown so no need to test anything. Ordered a replacement easily enough that should be here tomorrow.
    Mrs isn't keen on changing to induction now, but if Bialetti do an induction Mocha I may be swayed.
  • elbowloh

oxoman said:

...Elements tend to be standard designs today, but scratting around replacing them in greasy ovens yuk. No way...

Remarkably clean in there, I was expecting worse. Element came out easily enough, completely blown so no need to test anything. Ordered a replacement easily enough that should be here tomorrow.
    Mrs isn't keen on changing to induction now, but if Bialetti do an induction Mocha I may be swayed.
    They do

https://www.maxicoffee.com/en-gb/bialetti-moka-induction-coffee-anthracite-cups-p-99694.html?lgw_code=11806-99694&gclid=CjwKCAjwj6SEBhAOEiwAvFRuKGwvkTgt6sYpHByrVLQAhkPYiXdUi85jOLXXxRU47_6gurwX2bSeQRoCBEQQAvD_BwE

and they also do adapters for your existing pot

https://www.maxicoffee.com/en-gb/bialetti-induction-plate-converter-p-87437.html?lgw_code=11806-87437&gclid=CjwKCAjwj6SEBhAOEiwAvFRuKD40-d_28lmy_gIj2UZ0GJuPfla2V8QpeGGAs8aI4uMqA6-nGgmgJBoCXS4QAvD_BwE
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    with the rumours of spain opening up from june for non-eu outcasts, just booked extra flights in case the late may one gets nixed

gniffips
  • thistle_
    tlw1 said:

If it's keeping the house/kids/pets warm is it wasted though?
  • tlw1
    thistle_ said:

tlw1 said:

If it's keeping the house/kids/pets warm is it wasted though?
    True dat
  • pinno
    Induction hob is no good for you VN:

The BHF have said that an induction hob would not cause significant damage to your device, but due to there being many different types of pacemakers, each could be affected in a different way.
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

The BHF have said that an induction hob would not cause significant damage to your device, but due to there being many different types of pacemakers, each could be affected in a different way.

It'll give him a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

pinno said:

It'll give him a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside
    Yeah. And keep him hopping about the place a bit - that'll keep him fit.