Tour de Romandie 2021 *spoliers*

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
edited April 2021 in Pro race
Wiki Background

The Tour de Romandie is a stage race which is part of the UCI World Tour. It runs through the Romandie region, or French-speaking part of Switzerland. The competition began in 1947, to coincide with the 50-year anniversary of Swiss Cycling. It was held without interruption until the COVID-19 pandemic caused the cancellation of the 2020 edition.[1]

The race traditionally starts with an individual time trial prologue and ends with an individual time-trial in hilly terrains, often in Lausanne. The final time-trial traditionally starts in the stadium north of Lausanne, goes downhill southwards to Lake Léman (Lake Geneva), and makes its way back uphill to the stadium again. The winner and several of the top-ten finishers are usually excellent time trialists.

Four winners of the Tour de Romandie had gone on to win the Tour de France in the same year; Stephen Roche in 1987, then Cadel Evans, Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome in 2011, 2012 and 2013, respectively.

The course of the race usually heads northwards towards the Jura mountains and Alpine mountain ranges of western Switzerland.

Stage Profiles

A cow

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Flagged for plageurism
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Liked! 👏👏👏
    Thanks for starting the thread.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Super, thank you :smiley:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    edited April 2021
    Favourites

*** Peter Sagan
    ** Sonny Colbrelli, Magnus Cort, Marc Hirschi, Elia Viviani
    * Patrick Bevin, Remi Cavagna, Jake Stewart, Stefan Kung, Alexey Lutsenko

Tour de Romandie 2021 Route stage 1: Aigle - Martigny

Tour de Romandie 2021 Stage 1
    Slideshow 1/4
    Wednesday 28 April - Following the prologue on day one the Tour de Romandie continues with a lumpy test of 168.1 kilometres.

The UCI is based in Aigle. The town of 8,000 inhabitants is used to visiting pro-cycling pelotons, although is has been a while since the Tour de Romandie last visited. Four years ago Fabio Feline won the prologue in Aigle.

The route covers a circuit of almost 35 kilometres three times, featuring two short climbs in quick succession. This lap is the core of the route before the riders leave it in the finale.

The last uphill test is crested with 21.5 kilometres remaining, while the finale is played out on the flat.

The 3rd stage of the Tour de Romandie starts at 13.05 and the race is expected to finish around 17.15 – both are local times (CEST).

https://www.cyclingstage.com/tour-de-romandie-2021/stage-1-route-tdr-2021/
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707
    Well done, Big Bean!

I know Romandie fairly well, and actually think much more interesting stage routes could be chosen, as anyone who has done cyclosportives in the area can probably also testify.

Eitherway, this year's Tour of Romandie is more or less the same as that planned for 2020 but then cancelled because of the pandemic.

Some extra info on today's stage:

This stage should have been a dress rehearsal for the world championship road race in Aigle-Martigny last year, but which was then cancelled, and instead took place at Imola.
    The planned route last year went up the 4 km long, 10% steep Col de la Petite Forclaz but that currently has construction work going on, so the revised route goes over the two easier climbs Produit (2.6 km, 7.2%) and Chamoson (2.2 km, 5.9%) instead.

It's possible that there will be a break but which will be caught in the last flat 20kms, because this is the only stage really suitable for sprinters. Accordingly, to BB's shortlist of possible winners, one could add Moschetti, Pasqualon, Venturini and Smith.

In addition to what BB has mentioned about the start town, Aigle, it is also where Luuk de Jong was born, the Dutchman who will likely be playing centre-forward for Sevilla tomorrow evening against Arsenal in the Europa League semifinal first tie.

The finish town, Martigny, is the regional centre for Lower Valais. The area around the town is known for its fruit cultivation, especially apricots (thus the apricot spirit made there), and vines, as well as (like elsewhere in Switzerland) for its cheese; Martigny is where I had, with a local white wine, my best ever cheese fondue!
    It is also where cyclist Sebastian Reichenbach comes from, and he is in this year's race, so might well be found today in any break.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    I hope the cow agreed to the use of her image rights...
  • We need to know if the cow is real.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Harry Tanfield has abandoned the race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Looks lovely
  • Mad_Malx
    I keep thinking that DSM jersey is Sky
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Rob mate, Martigny is many things, but a beautiful town it is certainly not...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Ineos shouldn't care too much about bringing this back should they? I know they will keep it at a couple of minutes.
  • blazing_saddles
    It's all very....

• ddraver
    cha...too late to back track now Rob, mate!

:smiley:
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx said:

Looks lovely

Maybe not off the climb summit
  • blazing_saddles
    Domestiques involved in a crash.
    A couple of Jumbo's and an Astana debutante.
  • Mad_Malx
    edited April 2021
    On last lap now, 40km to go. 6 man breakaway with 1:40
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited April 2021
    Edited - jimmyjams said what I wrote earlier.

Without the 10% climb it's a bit of a dull course, isn't it?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

Interestingly, the valley wall to the North of Martigny comprises the Dent de Morcles.

The wall of that consists of the Nappe de Morcles...

In this, you can see the whole of Western Alpine Geology in one outcrop

Super cool!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    That folding is ridiculously cool. There's places in Pembrokeshire I've almost physically marched people to a cliff edge to show them bits of geology, but that's an entirely different scale.
  • Mad_Malx
    Sagz is back
  • Mad_Malx
    God that was dull
  • Mad_Malx
    Thanks to DDRaver for the only interest of the day
  • ddraver
    edited April 2021
    Garage where your AlpyBuses are serviced on the right...

Where I had my MRI to confirm my snapped ACL coming up on the left...

(edit - my stream had got behind... spoiled by INRG 🙄)
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    Sagan slow mo Swiss siesta stage win.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Don't you miss the good old days of cycling when people who were finished had the decency to stay finished?
  • ddraver
    Tis typical for May but it's a bit of a shame the weather has stopped the valley being shown off in all its glory. For reasons best left in the Brexit Thread that was a bit of a hard watch for me... 😥
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    Hatch turning into Kirby.
    Determined that 122 is not Pat Bevin wearing Pat Bevin’s race number
  • ddraver
    He's flippin' reading this thread too!
    - @ddraver