Front wheel bearing nut cross threaded

Got a cheap wheelset from eBay all great until I put the front wheel on and noticed the bearing nut ? Is cross threaded these are fulcrum 5 racing wheels can I just cut the nut off and washer the gap with the forks or will this somehow effect the bearings hopefully they are sealed cheers

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited April 2021
    cant you cut the nut off and replace it? i.e. just cut the nut not the axle.
    you might have to clean the threads up a bit.

use a nut splitter or failing that, dremel it off if there's enough room.
  • mdnorth
    mdnorth Posts: 5
    Yeah I was hoping so I was just wondering what this nut does unless it’s a smooth face for the fork to clamp against I am assuming the bearings are internal and this isn’t tensioning anything ?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    edited April 2021
    The nut is basically a locknut. Without it the quick release lever would exert pressure on the bearing rather than the locknut. It isn't usually smooth but has a knurled surface for extra grip.
    Try and unthread the nut, it should be relatively easy. Inspect the threads on the axle. Using a die to clean the threads would be ideal, but it should be possible to (carefully) use a junior hacksaw to get the thread started. The nut could be replaced but it's probably ok to use again.
  • mdnorth
    mdnorth Posts: 5
    That’s a brilliant explanation thanks appreciate it
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    No probs and good luck.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If the thread start has been damaged, a semi-round file, which has a ‘sharp’ edge should do it.