12mm skewers for drop out forks

I recently bought some new wheels ( Prime Carbon ) for my Cannondale quick carbon frame which has traditional "drop out " lugs. I went to a bike shop to buy the 12mm skewers which these wheels require and was told that this type of skewer only works with forks with 'closed ' circular lugs where the skewer screws directly into the frame lug itself ( so no left side tightening nut). Is this true? After spending an age to choose a set of £600 wheels , a new cassette and brake disc, I cannot believe I might have to start again because their is no compatible skewer nor a bike fork end design that has been universal until relatively recently!???
Any advice most appreciated.
Richard

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Think you can use adaptors to use standard qr skewers
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    All of my Prime wheels have come with the QR adapters in a bag along with the spare spokes etc. If yours haven't included these, it might be worth contacting Wiggle/CRC to see if they should have been included. If not, you can buy them as spares, but the ones you need depend on the model of wheels.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited April 2021
    The best solution are DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt quick releases. They are like a thru axle but have a captive nut like a quick release. You will need adapters for your hubs to take the correct size axle (9mm/10mm).

I have Hope Hubs and they stopped making those size end caps when thru axles became the norm. When I wanted to swap a pair of wheels onto my one disc braked bike which had standard QR dropouts I had the standard quick release end caps machined out to take the thru bolt axles. Works a treat.

They provide a much tighter grip than a quick release, which is preferable with a standard dropout and disc brakes.

Here are the DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt quick releases. https://www.dtswiss.com/en/components/hubs-and-rws/rws

You can see the front one on my Colnago C60 in this picture.

• Many thanks for the quick responses ! Whyiamhere: the wheels came with some things that look a bit like adaptors but weirdly they are a bigger diameter ( approx 15mm) than the 12mm already on the bike. ( so maybe they are for something else?) I will contact Wiggle to find out though..thank you! Pilot_Pete: many thanks for the info! Very relieved there are options on the market that I can explore...I was starting to think that cycling industry was a big capitalist conspiracy just like Apple , who change their accessories to make them non- retro- compatible with every model!
    Thanks all!
    Richard
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

Many thanks for the quick responses ! Whyiamhere: the wheels came with some things that look a bit like adaptors but weirdly they are a bigger diameter ( approx 15mm) than the 12mm already on the bike. ( so maybe they are for something else?) I will contact Wiggle to find out though..thank you! Pilot_Pete: many thanks for the info! Very relieved there are options on the market that I can explore...I was starting to think that cycling industry was a big capitalist conspiracy just like Apple , who change their accessories to make them non- retro- compatible with every model!
    Thanks all!
    Richard

There are a few bikes with 15mm thru axles - it's a MTB standard, never flew on road bikes

It's just a hill. Get over it.