Football stuff

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Ben6899 said:

I'm not a Man Citeh fan but Foden is a marvellous talent - as mentioned above, he could really light up the Euros and become one of the best Englosh players we have ever seen. He is also relatively eloquent when a microphone is stuck in front of him . . . relatively

Foden and the left-sided combo of Rashford and Shaw could cause a lot of problems.
    Am actually very excited for the Euros. They're a likeable bunch for a change.

Even better with a limit on England fans...*ahem*
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Ben6899 said:

I'm not a Man Citeh fan but Foden is a marvellous talent - as mentioned above, he could really light up the Euros and become one of the best Englosh players we have ever seen. He is also relatively eloquent when a microphone is stuck in front of him . . . relatively

Foden and the left-sided combo of Rashford and Shaw could cause a lot of problems.

there are at least 8 teams too many in it and it lasts a whole month.

when it was 8 or 16 teams it was a better tournament than the world cup
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224

Ben6899 said:

Fair play to them getting some interest in early with a group with Portugal, France and Germany in it. Especially when there's another group with four no-hopers: Netherlands, Ukraine, Austria, North Macedonia.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76

Ben6899 said:

Meanwhile UEFA has snuck in more teams into the CL starting 2024. Total matches go up from 125 to 225
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    morstar said:

And Swansea.

Plus Newport County and Wrexham (albeit the latter are currently outside the football league).
  • surrey_commuter

Ben6899 said:

Fair play to them getting some interest in early with a group with Portugal, France and Germany in it. Especially when there's another group with four no-hopers: Netherlands, Ukraine, Austria, North Macedonia.
    South Macedonia must be gutted to have missed out
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Onegear said:

Ben6899 said:

Meanwhile UEFA has snuck in more teams into the CL starting 2024. Total matches go up from 125 to 225
    It must be twice as good then, presumably.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

Ben6899 said:

That reminds me. I wonder if a treble bet on Scotland getting tanked in all 3 games would manage odds of evens?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

That reminds me. I wonder if a treble bet on Scotland getting tanked in all 3 games would manage odds of evens?
    You could see it as a hedge against having to listen to the whining from the Scottish pundits
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954

Ben6899 said:

Agree with that, they've really messed it up unnecessarily.

Kind of ties in when I laughed at FIFA and UEFA claiming the moral high ground over the super league business. The same FIFA that previously only one WC host had ever been decided at a time then had a several days long jolly in a hotel for all its executives where two hosts were elected..Russia and Qatar, with one of them to be played in December in the middle of the domestic season. But it was definitely legit we are told :|
  • TheBigBean
    Easy to forget that the Qatar shambles is next year.
  • rick_chasey
    Yikes and I thought I was a killjoy
  • TheBigBean
    edited April 2021

What's to like? How would you feel if the tour of Qatar was compulsory and was move into the middle of the tour?

Edit, I know (a) you probably don't consider the tour the highlight of the season and (b) you probably do consider the world cup to be the highlight; the example above is how many football fans feel.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Qatar WC is a shit idea.

6500 migrant workers have been killed building the infrastructure for the tournament.

6500!

The thing should be stopped now.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    elbowloh said:

Qatar WC is a censored idea.

6500 migrant workers have been killed building the infrastructure for the tournament.

6500!

There's that too. Lots of white elephants.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861

elbowloh said:

6500!

There's that too. Lots of white elephants.

How many dead bodies per WC game does that equate to?
  • rick_chasey

What's to like? How would you feel if the tour of Qatar was compulsory and was move into the middle of the tour?

Edit, I know (a) you probably don't consider the tour the highlight of the season and (b) you probably do consider the world cup to be the highlight; the example above is how many football fans feel.
    All I said was I was excited for the Euros
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited April 2021
    ...just realized this was in the wrong thread, soz...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    VAR and offside is so bad.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    elbowloh said:

6500!

Wow... is that official figures or rumours? Staggering
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736

elbowloh said:

6500!

Wow... is that official figures or rumours? Staggering
    No those figures are not correct.

The 6.5k is something like the number of migrant workers from a number of countries (so not all migrant workers) who have died since the world cup was awarded. It includes migrant workers who had nothing to do with the world cup.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • elbowloh
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

But there are likely to be many more deaths that weren't recorded. Most of the infrastructure being built is for the WC, such as the metro system.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes I mean I think (could be wrong) that those figures include migrant workers who have nothing to do with construction - housemaids, nannies, waiters, cleaners.

I'm sure there are huge questions about the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar but as it says on the link you posted the official number of work related deaths actually constructing the stadium is 3.
  • elbowloh

Yes I mean I think (could be wrong) that those figures include migrant workers who have nothing to do with construction - housemaids, nannies, waiters, cleaners.

I'm sure there are huge questions about the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar but as it says on the link you posted the official number of work related deaths actually constructing the stadium is 3.

You think the Qatar authorities will be honest over that figure?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    Probably not.

I was just pointing out the figure you quoted of 6.5k wasn't what you said it was I'm not providing a defence of the the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Are there people really so infatuated with football that the proposed 4 day social media shutdown will have the slightest impact on the likes of Twitter? It feels like the most token of token gestures. Why not say they won't post anything further until suitable action has been put in place? Also, can the footballer's themselves resist the urge to post for 4 days?
  • elbowloh
    edited April 2021
    Pross said:

Are there people really so infatuated with football that the proposed 4 day social media shutdown will have the slightest impact on the likes of Twitter? It feels like the most token of token gestures. Why not say they won't post anything further until suitable action has been put in place? Also, can the footballer's themselves resist the urge to post for 4 days?

Thought the same. 4 days of not posting will barely register with anyone. It's less than token. Doubt anyone would have noticed if they hadn't done the press release.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    The champions league final has been moved to Porto. That says a lot about UEFA.
  • elbowloh

The champions league final has been moved to Porto. That says a lot about UEFA.

They like a glass of port?

It's a nice stadium TBF and a great city, but yeah it was all pleasing their corporate sponsors.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    It was never going to be moved to London unless the UK Govt gave waivers to all the UEFA pigs with their snouts in the trough. They don't give a shit about the actual fans of the clubs involved.