tightening spokes?

I have Vision 30 wheels, they roll smooth and are true.
but i can hear that few spokes have different tension by pinging them with fingers (of course i'm comparing one side).
should i readjust tension of my spokes a bit ?

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    As long as they ping i dont bother but once they sound flat I tighten them up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,355
    If they are straight and true don't meddle
  • razorjack
    razorjack Posts: 97
    what about
    "Getting the spoke tension right is a requirement for performance and longevity".
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    razorjack said:

what about
    "Getting the spoke tension right is a requirement for performance and longevity".

very true. but once a rim has been used for a while the idea of a true rim and consistent tension is sometimes a trade off . less of a critical issue with discs i suppose.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,355
    In an ideal world you want even spoke tension throughout, the tension needs to be high enough that the nipple is never unloaded as the wheel turns and hits lumps and bumps. If a spoke has less tension than its peers it may get unloaded in use and then it can loosen, losing more tension. Then the wheel goes out of true.
    These wheels have been used and abused so we have left this ideal world. The spokes will be trying to hold a oossibly bent rim in place so some may need more tension than others. At this point so long as they have enough tension that they don't get unloaded all is well in their slightly chaotic world.
    As mentioned on your other thread spokes on opposite sides of the wheel will probably have different tension requirements anyway.
    So, knowing all this, if the wheel is straight and true you're better off not worrying about it and riding your bike.
  • razorjack
    razorjack Posts: 97
    on my road wheels tensions are obviously waay different, as one side is radial for example, and the other with 3x,
    on MTB all sides are 3x, but flanges have different offsets and diameters so tension can be a little different between sides as well.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Unless you have the ear of Jimi Hendrix, you might do more damage than good without a tension meter.
    If the wheel doesn't go out of true and doesn't give you grief, it's probably best left alone... if it ain't broke...
    left the forum March 2023
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Unless you have the ear of Jimi Hendrix, you might do more damage than good without a tension meter.
    If the wheel doesn't go out of true and doesn't give you grief, it's probably best left alone... if it ain't broke...

this is my view too. tbh ive found it reasonably obvious when theres enough tension and the tension is generally about the same once theres no wobbles in a new rim that was straight prior to building.

tension meters can be another thing to give you stress. having said that if i was building a lot of wheels, once id got the "recepie" right id probably want to record the data so i can repeat.

on the other hand, im not sure every batch of spokes is exactly the same so required tension would vary anyway.

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Can't see Jimi Hendrix hearing much nowadays.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    razorjack said:

I have Vision 30 wheels, they roll smooth and are true.
    but i can hear that few spokes have different tension by pinging them with fingers (of course i'm comparing one side).
    should i readjust tension of my spokes a bit ?

Nowhere near that simple. Find out how to do these things work and are done from a shop or really good manual. DO NOT just start twisting spokes.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    womack said:

Can't see Jimi Hendrix hearing much nowadays.

Not with all that Crosstown Traffic in the background.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/