Removing the old paint on the carbon frame ???

Hi guys. I bought an old frame and it is described as a specific color. As soon as I stock up, I realize the frame has been repainted but I am not satisfied with the color. The frame is a carbon frame and now I want to remove the old paint and repaint the desired color. Need your advice?
Thanks!!!

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Not being rude, but if you don’t even know how to prep the frame, what sort of paint job are you going to do?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I used sandpaper on the Madone right down to bare carbon. Took a few hours of sitting in the sun with a few glasses of wine but nothing major.

Wet n dry it and all will be fine.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    Sounds like a trip to Youtube might be helpful. I've definitely seen some good sessions on there.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Wet sanded mine back to carbon.

Started with 120 and finished on 400.
    120 was perfect to break through the lacquer then 240/320 was plenty to get back to carbon. Then 400 to get it smooth enough for primer.

Only took a couple of hours too.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Sounds like a trip to Youtube might be helpful. I've definitely seen some good sessions on there.

why?

just get some sandpaper.

its a bicycle frame not a space ship.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Not being rude, but if you don’t even know how to prep the frame, what sort of paint job are you going to do?

his first one.
  • I found the blade method worked FAR quicker than sanding alone. I used blade, then varying grades of wet n dry to finish it (or do the smaller parts the blade couldn't get to).

Some areas of paint were far, far harder to remove than others on my Scott Foil- the white painted bits particularly. They must have used a harder lacquer and/ or paint for those bits (2k maybe).

This video gives you an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80gkuNziegs

It still took forever, and I'm never doing it again (probably)
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Elbow grease and sanding is the only option for carbon - Don't be tempted with any chemicals or power sanders. you will need coarse/medium and fine so 80/120/200 or 400 or whatever.

If the decals can be removed then you can still get a good finish by sanding down the existing paint so its completely flattened off (80/120/200/400 grit) then remove any dust residue with damp cloth.

If you are doing it yourself then its a case of light passes with primer (several coats) then rub down with fine grit and start with your top coat after the primer is dry - As with primer light coats rather than thick. Rub down with fine sand paper and once dry several coats of varnish (matt or gloss etc) - For a better finish put any decals on under the top varnish coat.

I have done a few frames this way with good results just takes friggin ages!!! Also helps if you use the same brand/type of rattle can to avoid any weird reactions.

Youtube a guy called ETOE (martin) he does mint paint jobs (retro Kleins etc) and has some videos on rattle cans technique.

Bear in mind that a good DIY paint job takes days and LOTS of patience!