Football stuff

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Mourinho sacked
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Breakaway stuff.

Not a big football fan so not going to argue any position strongly.

Closed league and franchise system works very well in US but the whole game is structured around it. Yes some teams are still more successful than others because quality shines through. However, pulling off what Leicester City did is far less of a once in a blue outcome.

Eu is hung up on club culture.

Personally, I think the club focus in European sports is sentimental twaddle given the money now involved. However, just cherry picking random bits of a totally different system doesn't work.

I'd happily see football modernised including the rules of the game but this suggestion is clearly greed motivated.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It was coming tbf.

Mourinho now seems like yesterday's man. His style of football and man-management has been overtaken by possession-based footy.

There is no right or wrong way to play football, and he has obviously been incredibly successful over the years, he just doesn't seem to have developed as football moved on.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    The irony of sky sports etc sharing clips from behind their expensive paywall on how greed and money is ruining the sport was not lost on me.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Carry on...

Hmm, where can I post something about the footie to wind Brian up to maximum affect 🤔
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

It was coming tbf.

Mourinho now seems like yesterday's man. His style of football and man-management has been overtaken by possession-based footy.

There is no right or wrong way to play football, and he has obviously been incredibly successful over the years, he just doesn't seem to have developed as football moved on.

Completely agree, massive risk and potential waste of money for a club to sign mourinho. His ego can’t move on tactically and he’s type of man management doesn’t work anymore. You have to baby the multi millionaire mega stars, not slag them off on tv.
  • seanoconn

The irony of sky sports etc sharing clips from behind their expensive paywall on how greed and money is ruining the sport was not lost on me.

Sky to boycott new super league?

• seanoconn
    Hansi Flick new Spurs manager maybe?
  • rick_chasey
    seanoconn said:

So the thinking AFAIK was always that the big non-UK clubs were jealous of the revenue the Prem could get so they were always working on the top UK clubs to join them in a separate league so they can even up the gap.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Someone on twitter made the point that the only reason there is such an outcry is because Murdoch didn't get offered a piece of the action...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    seanoconn said:

Ian Holloway.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    ddraver said:

Someone on twitter made the point that the only reason there is such an outcry is because Murdoch didn't get offered a piece of the action...

Really, haven’t been able to read much about the plans yet. Any idea who has the tv rights?
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited April 2021
    seanoconn said:

From 'Allo 'Allo! ?

• ddraver
    seanoconn said:

ddraver said:

Really, haven’t been able to read much about the plans yet. Any idea who has the tv rights?
    I'm not much of an expert on it, just bored this morning and twitter comprises nothing else at the moment. Apparently, the reason it starts in 2024 is because all the current TV stuff runs out at end 2023. One presumes it will go to the highest bidder - which is not the way Rupert likes things!
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    Don’t care too much but would be nice if the fans of the big 6 boycotted their clubs and whoever is screening their club football. Very unlikely though.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    edited April 2021

seanoconn said:

So the thinking AFAIK was always that the big non-UK clubs were jealous of the revenue the Prem could get so they were always working on the top UK clubs to join them in a separate league so they can even up the gap.
    La Liga used to sell rights on an individual match basis, so Real Madrid and Barcelona took the lion's share. They then moved to a league basis which has reduced those clubs share of the pie, but increased the pie overall. This follows the premier league model.

• skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Football is done and has been for the average fan for years. Exceptions being in the lower leagues.

These clubs are global brands now.

I think it stinks to high Heaven but was always on the cards. Whinging about profitability while raking in billions in TV revenue to then dole it out on half million pound a week players is madness.

Part of me thinks sack them off and let them become some global soccer-ball b0ll0cks league. Leave the beautiful game to the rest of us.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's not a particularly beautiful game, either
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    seanoconn said:

Carry on...

Hmm, where can I post something about the footie to wind Brian up to maximum affect 🤔

I almost called the thread 'Stuff football'...
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

It's not a particularly beautiful game, either

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The government looking to get involved. This is way more interesting than anything that's happened on the pitch for a long while.
  • rick_chasey

The government looking to get involved. This is way more interesting than anything that's happened on the pitch for a long while.

The government meddling in private enterprise and trying to stop competition to the incumbent? SHOCKED I TELL YOU
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    edited April 2021
    It was obvious where football was going when teams consider finishing 4th a good season as it meant being in the Champions League. Trophies mean nothing*, cash is king.

*Other than even more cash.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I assume the FA will say any English players in breakaway teams will not be eligible for international duty as has happened previously when rugby clubs have taken a similar approach (they will then backtrack when they realise the players are more keen to earn big money that play for their country and they will lose all their top players).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Ironic that when the country has 'left Europe' to avoid becoming part of the European Superstate that football clubs want to do the opposite :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Juve share price has done well since the announcement.
  • ddraver
    No one doubts they re going to make some coin do they - in the short term at least...
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Pross said:

I assume the FA will say any English players in breakaway teams will not be eligible for international duty as has happened previously when rugby clubs have taken a similar approach (they will then backtrack when they realise the players are more keen to earn big money that play for their country and they will lose all their top players).

not sure why the FA will do that when they did not do so for the Premier league. Usually best to assume the FA will make the worse decision possible
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2021
    I thought this was not a great article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/only-someone-who-truly-hates-football-can-be-behind-a-european-super-league

The lack of jeopardy that many critics have identified as one of the major drawbacks of a super league is in fact the entire point: a constantly bubbling steady-state tension in which nothing really matters, and so everything does. Missed Liverpool vs Real Madrid? Never mind, they’re playing again tomorrow night, and then three nights after that: football as on-demand stream, football as non-fungible consumer good, football that fits into your life as smoothly as an Ocado delivery slot.

Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM

Most of the top teams play in excess of 50 games a year.

Premier league is midly more competitive but a whole bunch of games are borderline dead-rubbers.

I also don't understand why the idea that a closed shop is not competitive? Plenty of sports have that structure and they're as competitive as the prem.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    The only organisation that can effectively oppose this is the premier league (and other leagues). Banning players, who play for free, from internationals isn't going to work.