Zone 6: the thread that got deleted

Comments

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Does every hill you go up end in an everesting?

What d'you think?

• Quite. Why bother?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
    edited June 2021
    deleted
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe2019
    Fair enough, never heard of the Basecamp challenge. Well done for having a go.

You're right, they are definitely a mind over matter thing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237

I read an article on Andrew Feather, who won the National and whom I follow on Strava. Just as I thought, his training is unstructured, basically he goes for a couple of hours ride most days and hits a couple of climbs really hard... he doesn't do indoor stuff, he doesn't do crazy reps and pyramid intervals, he doesn't follow religiously a diet and doesn't eat the latest miracle protein source... I'm kind of pleased that my attitude to training is somewhat endorsed by the best in the game.
    Of course he has a VO2 Max of 81 ml/kg min, so he will always be good no matter what, but it's good to see training doesn't have to be something to dread

Where was the article?
    Sounds like it could be intersting to read.
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237

I read an article on Andrew Feather, who won the National and whom I follow on Strava. Just as I thought, his training is unstructured, basically he goes for a couple of hours ride most days and hits a couple of climbs really hard... he doesn't do indoor stuff, he doesn't do crazy reps and pyramid intervals, he doesn't follow religiously a diet and doesn't eat the latest miracle protein source... I'm kind of pleased that my attitude to training is somewhat endorsed by the best in the game.
    Of course he has a VO2 Max of 81 ml/kg min, so he will always be good no matter what, but it's good to see training doesn't have to be something to dread

Where was the article?
    Sounds like it could be intersting to read.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    The Magnificent 7 hill climb race around Sheffield has predictably been postponed till late summer / Autumn. Which means, should it actually go ahead, it it should be much nicer conditions than the traditional March! It’ll also provide a good warm up event for the hill climb season - Can’t wait!
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • joe2019

Great read, thanks for posting.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Seconded.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing!
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I remember back in the last century most people who put a bit of effort in could usually ride at 25 mph and above on a road bike.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

First time trial of the year, a "flat" 20 miler, cold, about 6-7 degrees and a bit breezy. Should be reasonably happy with a long 55 and having caught a couple of guys in full TT kit... could have probably gone a tad harder, as I had enough energy left to drag myself back to the car, parked 5 miles from the start...
    Some royalties at the event, won by Richard Bussell, about 14 minutes quicker... :D
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5060555157

Just seen this, you’ve got a bottle on for a 20 miler. Why?
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • shirley_basso
    Not in the drops

No shoe covers

No puppy paws.
  • joe2019

Not in the drops

No shoe covers

No puppy paws.

I doubt that's a racing image, most likely his ride to the start.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • shirley_basso
    That just looks like a descent ;)
  • ugo.santalucia

That just looks like a descent ;)

It could well be... I don't remember where it was taken
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Not an expert - but is adding clipon aero bars a viable method, or does that mean you aren't in the road bike category any more etc.?
  • ugo.santalucia

Not an expert - but is adding clipon aero bars a viable method, or does that mean you aren't in the road bike category any more etc.?

It means you're not a road bike anymore.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted
  • ugo.santalucia

I tend to ride with my forearms on the bars, which I think is not allowed, although I am not sure, as I can't find anything in the rulebook...

puppy paws now definitively banned by CTT... :'(

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706

on balance I would probably carry a bottle on a 20 regardless, maybe not on a 10.

An old anecdote: if you're riding a 10 hard enough you won't have time to take a drink.

But if you ride out to the event, as I often do, then a bottle is essential. It probably costs about 5 seconds in a 10 miler but in the end if you want to ride with a bottle then it doesn't matter what anyone on a forum thinks.

Looking at the photo, if you can ditch the jacket and ride in something snug then that would definitely help. Hope you have a good ride in Sunday's open.

CTT's April newsletter confirms that the 'puppy paws' position is in breach of the regulations. They're called handlebars for a reason. ;)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited June 2021
    deleted