Etape du Tour 2020

13»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    fenix said:

Sensible decision. They should have done this weeks ago and not raised everyone's hopes of doing it this year.

See you in Nice 2021 !

I wouldn't raise your hopes for 2021 either.
    Not yet, at least.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I know what you mean but we can hope eh ?

Bizarrely the London Marathon hasn't been cancelled yet - but it surely must.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    I was toying with the idea of buying some bling carbon wheels ready for Nice in September. Now I'll wait and see if I can get some wheels cheaper in the traditional October/November end of season promotions. ;)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Aah but then they'll be last years tech when it comes to the tour. You'd best buy again in 2021 and give me the old wheels to dispose of safely.
  • s2_dpd
    s2_dpd Posts: 46
    Agree this should have been the decision from the outset when it was first at risk.

We need to get a firm date for the 2021 event in Nice.

They say 'early July' though that's not enough when re-arranging flights (again!) before they are due to be taken in Sept.
  • nezza
    nezza Posts: 14
    Now scheduled for 4th July, same route as was supposed to run this year.

Seems to me that July next year is possible - more so than the hopeful September date this year.

At least my turbo sessions will have a target again, even if in the end it is postponed again.
  • s2_dpd
    ASO are still quoting it going ahead this July

Given the spike in Covid cases in France right now and the idea of 1000's of cyclists flying in for a long weekend, I just can't see this going ahead.

Anyway Easyjet have cancelled my flights so that's me out :'(
  • I’m so on the fence, I really want it to happen but just can’t see it going ahead. I was only ever going to drive to get there (I know it’s a really long way) but reducing that close contact on the plane seemed sensible...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    ASO were in cloud cuckoo land when deciding to confirm it for this year.
    given the case numbers in France and Europe more eidely, and the vaccination failures particularly in France, there isn't a hope of it going ahead. That was obvious months ago.

Maybe those old enough to have had both jabs by then might go, and be happy to qurantine on their return!

I had my refund paid last month.
  • Still surprised no news on this, expect it to be deferred until September as it cannot sensibly go ahead in July.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    I see that the Etape 2020 which had become the Etape 2021 is now becomming the Etape 2022.
    Or put it another way, the 2021 version has today been cancelled, but Nice will try to hold it again in 2022.

No surprise although this was entirely predictable back in January.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Yeah... knew it was unlikely but I was hoping it might just happen. Ah well... at least we get our full money back.
  • s2_dpd

I see that the Etape 2020 which had become the Etape 2021 is now becomming the Etape 2022.
    Or put it another way, the 2021 version has today been cancelled, but Nice will try to hold it again in 2022.

No surprise although this was entirely predictable back in January.

Yep, just got the cancellation/refund email through. Although it says we may register in advance for the 2022 edition, I don't think they have set a date/location for it yet?

I would expect it will revert back to a mountain stage of 2022's TdF?