Thoughts please.

darrell1967
darrell1967 Posts: 470
edited April 2021 in Road buying advice
To me, this looks like an early Elite Sprint. I like it but whet does the panel think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324564804704

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    Seat tube collar seems to be missing, which is proprietary.

I had an Allez Elite, 2005 vintage, great frame.... but make sure it comes with the collar and all bits and pieces
    left the forum March 2023
  • darrell1967

Seat tube collar seems to be missing, which is proprietary.

I had an Allez Elite, 2005 vintage, great frame.... but make sure it comes with the collar and all bits and pieces

I noticed the missing seat clamp but my question is, is it an Elite Sprint?

I agree with you on the Elite frame, I had a 2018 model. It got stolen.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    The top tube on the sprint looks different in the pictures I can find - the one in the bay listing looks large, round and almost horizontal.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's not a Sprint.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Even the bloke advertising it says its not a Sprint.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • darrell1967
    MattFalle said:

Where does it state that?

• darrell1967
    Ben6899 said:

It's not a Sprint.

I wonder what it is then.

• darrell1967
    This is the Allen Elite that I had. The frames are totally different. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224392778080
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    It's an Allez Comp E5 Aerotec from about 2004 - 2006, looks like a nice frame but as mentioned it might not be so easy to find a seatpost clamp.
  • darrell1967
    i.bhamra said:

It's an Allez Comp E5 Aerotec from about 2004 - 2006, looks like a nice frame but as mentioned it might not be so easy to find a seatpost clamp.

Thanks very much. I’ve never heard of that particular frame.

Time to start digging. (And watch the price).
  • darrell1967
    It looks like the seat post clamp won’t be a problem but the seatpost might be!!
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

here

• MattFalle

It looks like the seat post clamp won’t be a problem but the seatpost might be!!

if you have to start digging for a seat post then rod it off - its like a Soloist, frames are easy to find but replacement seatposts cost a billion pounds.

frame isn't worth the money the seat post costs.
  • darrell1967
    edited April 2021
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

here

Where does it say it’s not a Sprintt? It also doesn’t state it’s an Aerotec either so does that mean it’s not?🤷🏻‍♂️

I realised over the years that half the people on EBay don’t actually know what they’re selling and that’s when it’s time to pick up something rare, desirable or a bit different.
  • darrell1967
    MattFalle said:

if you have to start digging for a seat post then rod it off - its like a Soloist, frames are easy to find but replacement seatposts cost a billion pounds.

frame isn't worth the money the seat post costs.
    It might just go that way unfortunately.
    My brother is a product designer and has access to a 3D printer. He said the seat clamp is easy to make but a seatpost on the other hand......

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

here

Where does it say it’s not a Sprintt? It also doesn’t state it’s an Aerotec either so does that mean it’s not?🤷🏻‍♂️

I realised over the years that half the people on EBay don’t actually know what they’re selling and that’s when it’s time to pick up something rare, desirable or a bit different.
    it says its not a Sprint by saying it isn't a Sprint.

By your reasoning then half the people on eBay do know what they are selling, it seems this guy is one of them.
  • darrell1967
    edited April 2021
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

here

it says its not a Sprint by saying it isn't a Sprint.

By your reasoning then half the people on eBay do know what they are selling, it seems this guy is one of them.
    A few years ago a pal of mine bought what was described as a “ropey LHD E Class Merc” for under 2 grand.

Upon further inspection it turned out to be a Mercedes 500E which were built by Porsche and are uber rare. Seller didn’t know and my pal certainly didn’t tell him. Because the seller didn’t state it was a 500E does that mean it wasn’t??

Back to the ad. It appears that the frame is an Aerotech but the seller hasn’t stated that. Does that mean it’s not an Aerotech?
  • MattFalle
    dude

you seem obsessed on this frame and your bargain hunting skillz on eBay.

if you want it, buy it. if you don't, don't.
  • darrell1967
    Not obsessed at all just interested because I like stuff that’s different. Who doesn’t like a bargain??

It appears the seatpost is a boggo 27.2mm seatpost.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    How is that frame different it’s a Specialized. One of the most common makes out there.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

here

When that happens the buyer needs to know what he is buying, not hope it might be something because it doesn't say it isn't.
  • darrell1967
    edited April 2021

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

here

When that happens the buyer needs to know what he is buying, not hope it might be something because it doesn't say it isn't.
    Hence the questions and my story about the E500 Merc. The seller didn’t have a clue but my matey did. Cars worth the thick end of £20,000.

• darrell1967
    webboo said:

How is that frame different it’s a Specialized. One of the most common makes out there.

Look at the shape of the seatpost.

• MattFalle
    we can't. there isn't one.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    A Cippolini Edition E5 SWorks would be a nice thing to have if you like classic race bikes.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • darrell1967
    MattFalle said:

we can't. there isn't one.

I meant the seat tube (but I think you knew that).
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,168
    I think the seatpost on an old Allez is fairly standard... it was a round one, I've never measured it though
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The pic in the Ebay listing shows a seat tube that appears to start off circular at the BB end but then develops a profiled shape at about one third of the way up. I'm guessing a view from above of the seat tube would show something shaped like a "horse's collar". I could have chosen another analogy but this is polite society after all.

I'm pretty sure the OP will have difficulty sourcing a seat post that will fit but I may be wrong
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just to add fuel to the fire I have found an old pic of a Specialized Allez Comp on a US Ebay listing which appears to also have the profiled seat tube but in the images posted it also shows a standard circular seat post inserted into the profiled seat tube. Not quite sure how that works but maybe there is some form of wedge that can be used in to secure the post.

But further complicating matters I have found an Allez Comp E5 Aerotech that also has that profiled seat tube.

In this case also it looks to be sporting a standard circular seat post so maybe the seat collar has a special design that allows the circular post to work with the aero profile seat tube
  • darrell1967
    arlowood,
    I think your final paragraph is the key here.