Fingerless gloves

I'm looking for a pair of fingerless road cycling gloves that will help stop my hands getting numb. Any suggestions?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Now that the shops are open, try to go somewhere any try them on.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Numb hands might be a sign of issues with your position or core strength.

Look at how many pros don't even wear gloves despite riding big distances.
  • Specialized have a good rep for plenty of padding. I was given a pair of Boardman mitts for Xmas, not as padded, but comfy on the few rides I've worn them.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    mrb123 said:

Numb hands might be a sign of issues with your position or core strength.

Look at how many pros don't even wear gloves despite riding big distances.

I would endorse this viewpoint.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Gel bar tape?
  • I always wear them, they save the skin on your hands when you fall off as well
    Planet x padded ones seem good value.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Mitts.

Mitts!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    As above - its more down to tape and position for numness.

I don't wear any, some people won't ride without them. Personal choice.

I've found that all the do is get my hands warm.

Best pair I ever had was some Castelli aero ones then The Hound ate one of them for me.

Altura also used to do cracking shortie ones - comfy, lots of padding, cheap if you want some.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    Or Endura.

one of the two.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    FWIW I always understood the main purpose of gloves was to protect the palms of your hands in the event of a crash - popular with pros as taking the skin off your palms could be race-ending.

The rest is merely ancillary.
  • mrb123
    I've always found the padded ones just seem to move the source of the pressure and do not provide extra comfort.

My usual summer mitts are just basically a leather palm and mesh back. Got a couple of pairs of nice Giro Zero ones and some cheaper Galibier ones.
  • womack

Gel bar tape?

Or double wrap.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    womack said:

Gel bar tape?

Or double wrap.
    or bubble wrap.

Or double bubble wrap.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    I think as others have said, it is worth reiterating that if you really are getting numb hands then gloves aren't really the answer, but tweaking your position on your bike so that you don't have as much weight on your hands would be worth considering.

It could be as simple as strengthening your lower back to take more of the weight off your arms.

Here's a question - is it easy to take your hands off the bars and keep your back/torso in the same position?
  • MattFalle
    also try and relax your shoulders - everything should be nice and loose, hands shouldn't be clenching the bars, more akin to playing the piano or tinkering with a beautiful woman/man/whatever.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

also try and relax your shoulders - everything should be nice and loose, hands shouldn't be clenching the bars, more akin to playing the piano or tinkering with a beautiful woman/man/whatever.

When you say "whatever" what species do you have in mind?
  • First.Aspect

I think as others have said, it is worth reiterating that if you really are getting numb hands then gloves aren't really the answer, but tweaking your position on your bike so that you don't have as much weight on your hands would be worth considering.

It could be as simple as strengthening your lower back to take more of the weight off your arms.

Here's a question - is it easy to take your hands off the bars and keep your back/torso in the same position?

Good question. There's a lot of emphasis on "lower" back, but really it is the long muscles up the mid spine that you need to be strong. The whole core, really.
  • mrb123

MattFalle said:

Gerbil?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

whatever floats your boat.

there are too many nowadays for a simple country boy like me to keep track of.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

whatever floats your boat.

there are too many nowadays for a simple country boy like me to keep track of.
    It's not my boat I was asking about.
  • womack

MattFalle said:

Could be a hedgehog.