Pop up beach bars

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/19230327.amp/

Small beer compared to the big issues of the day but I find this somewhat depressing - spent a lot of time on those beaches as my nana (is that a Southern word - our other grandma was known to us as Gran) lived in Southbourne just near Fisherman's Walk.

I can't think of anything less welcome on a day at the beach - especially with kids - than people getting drunk on over priced lager. There's already too many people play music and have a BBQ - what was wrong with a bit of paddling and a 99?

I'm aware I may be protesting change here but I do think the alcohol but at least is not change for the better.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Bournemouth has no shortage of bars and beachgoers so this seems a bit unnecessary.

I grew up on the beach around the corner to the East - Hengistbury Head - and spend every summer there. My parents nearly bought a beachhut there for £12k but eventually declined. Last I saw was well into the £100,000s
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    I feel like execution will be key here.

I can see them being done well, I can also see them being done...really, very badly
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ddraver said:

I can see them being done well, I can also see them being done...really, very badly

i think lots of executions will help :)
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/19230327.amp/

Small beer compared to the big issues of the day but I find this somewhat depressing - spent a lot of time on those beaches as my nana (is that a Southern word - our other grandma was known to us as Gran) lived in Southbourne just near Fisherman's Walk.

I can't think of anything less welcome on a day at the beach - especially with kids - than people getting drunk on over priced lager. There's already too many people play music and have a BBQ - what was wrong with a bit of paddling and a 99?

I'm aware I may be protesting change here but I do think the alcohol but at least is not change for the better.

I think what youre protesting is standards of behaviour rather than change. I prefer to stay away from people like that so avoid Bournemouth which is foul when london and the south east descends on it like a plague of bloated fat scum flys.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,734

Bournemouth has no shortage of bars and beachgoers so this seems a bit unnecessary.

I grew up on the beach around the corner to the East - Hengistbury Head - and spend every summer there. My parents nearly bought a beachhut there for £12k but eventually declined. Last I saw was well into the £100,000s

Beautiful spot isn't it. Used to spend hours on end there as a young kid in the 1970s roaming about with my brothers unsupervised as kids in the 70s were allowed to do.

Do you remember the shell garden back along the seafront towards Southbourne ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,583
    As long as it's not the whole beach and they don't litter the place, why not?

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

sounds brilliant to a younger me
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,734
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I expect the temp licences will be issued very much on a basis that they'll be closed down again very quickly if it leads to anti-social behaviour or lots of rubbish being left. If the council was clever, they'd make the bars responsible for cleaning the beach up at the end of each day.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:

I'm sure DD's spent a few blurry nights in Scheveningen ;)
  • ddraver
    How very dare you!

(that tram ride back 🤢)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:

How very dare you!

(that tram ride back 🤢)

As a 17 year old I got absolutely sh!tfaced in Crazy Pianos.

Pitty the Brit pianist there who at the beginning of the night was moaning that all anyone does was request Amarillo, so as long as we don't request that, he would be OK.

Fast forward a few hours and the fifth rendition....
  • ddraver
    That was a crazy place. I only went once or twice. I was a little too old for it by the time I was there...
    - @ddraver
  • Are these for road bikes, or mtb/hybrids? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,478

Yeah, people who want to drink on the beach will anyway and they then bring their own stuff that gets left behind. I was in Brighton on one of the scorching hot days last June just after restrictions had started being eased and the rubbish was horrendous when I was leaving at around 10pm.