wednesday is not what it says, but what it means

'ning

ride, cafe, another cafe, another ride, possibly a bit of wfh if i'm in the mood, laze, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited April 2021
    Morning, bloody freezing again, dog walked, having a coffee , I had some good newsyesterday that the company I have worked for the last 34 years , accepted me for voluntary redundancy , yippee , I was going to retire early this year anyway,I can do it now with a good handshake
    Have a good day
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Morning, good news LD! Maybe one day in a few decades I'll be able to retire.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    nibnob21 said:

Just for the one day nibnob? ;)

My retirement plans, such as they are, might take a blow by the end of the week. We had a call from the school where mini is on the waiting list, it's quite likely they'll offer her a place for the start of year 6 by the end of the week, which = school fees, plus all the extras that go with that.

Better get to my desk I suppose...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Great news LD

Hounds walked, going for a hilly run, then beach and the wife’s turn to drive which is scary as there is a Ford on the route 😳
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    tlw1 said:

Great news LD

Hounds walked, going for a hilly run, then beach and the wife’s turn to drive which is scary as there is a Ford on the route 😳

Eek! Turkey flotation device at the ready.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn

Morning, bloody freezing again, dog walked, having a coffee , I had some good newsyesterday that the company I have worked for the last 34 years , accepted me for voluntary redundancy , yippee , I was going to retire early this year anyway,I can do it now with a good handshake
    Have a good day

Nice one Dave. 👍
  • hopkinb

Have a good day

A bit of redundancy £ is always welcome, especially if you were leaving/retiring anyway! Congrats.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166

Have a good day

Always good to get a break like that LD. Hopefully a decent payout given your third of a century of employment. Reminds me of when my OH went on mat leave and was not coming back, but before she told them that they offered a load of them voluntary redundancy which of course she took.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

nibnob21 said:

Just for the one day nibnob? ;)

My retirement plans, such as they are, might take a blow by the end of the week. We had a call from the school where mini is on the waiting list, it's quite likely they'll offer her a place for the start of year 6 by the end of the week, which = school fees, plus all the extras that go with that.

Better get to my desk I suppose...
    You have plans to retire? I might think about it after junior finishes uni. But probably only think about it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    I'd love to retire, travel, catch up on all the books I meant to read, do an OU degree, ride my bike, do some walking, cook.

Got to get our mortgage gone and the pension plans funded properly first though, and 8 years of school fees might make a dent in that progress!

I'm not talking "early" retirement, another 15 years as long as someone will employ me.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Difficult commute to the desk this morning, eyes didn't want to open and I had to negotiate a pair of shoes at the bottom of the stairs. Seem to have lost my motivation recently, might go looking for it if I can be bothered. Many congratulations LD. Alas, retirement is some way off for me too. The EPO took voluntary redundancy a few years back, worked as a temp for a while then went back to her old job as a temp. After a few months they took her back on full time. So she could have just taken a long holiday with a bit of extra bonus. Should probably do some work...
    Ooh, pub tonight as it's Wednesday. Or pub garden at any rate.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    No al fresco options at the curry house VN?

As soon as this fog lifts, i'm off pedalling.
    Waiting for a Molten speed pre waxed chain for the Colnago in the post... Saves me stripping it of factory lubricants.

What OU degree where you thinking of H³? Must be an Ology.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    pinno said:

What OU degree where you thinking of H³? Must be an Ology.

I did history as an undergraduate. Badly, what with being a young twerp.

I would like to do art history, philosophy something like that. I also did maths at A level, so maybe revisit that as well, probably via a refresher access course then onto a degree.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Nice one LD! I’m stuck until 67 as things stand. Getting divorced many years ago (now - time flies!) made a significant dent in my pension planning. Luckily enough the teachers pension is good enough that I won’t be below the poverty line but that’s reliant on me staying as a head of department or better for the next 15 years!

In other news, going to attempt to get GTi junior’s hair cut today.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Bloody astounded as the Openreach guy has turned up (third time lucky), well its Kelly Communications on behalf of Openreach.

Now, they've just go to install the service and it actually work.

I'm also surprised that in this day and age he's gone up the telecoms pole on a ladder, must be 8 meters up. That wouldn't be allowed on a construction site (well not the ones i'm involved in).

He also confirmed its fibre all the way to my router, which i wasn't actually expecting!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Well done LD. Been made redundant twice. First time i was only in the job 14 months and the package was exceptional, equivalent of about 6 months pay after tax.

Second time was last year, after 10 years service, the package was shoite and they treated me terribly. I was quite shocked as they always prided themselves and promoted themselves as being a "family" company.

There'll be no early retirement for me I expect, unless there's an unexpected winfall to come.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

He also confirmed its fibre all the way to my router, which i wasn't actually expecting!

Cooorr. Whoooosh - lightning speeds are possible then. I just looked up whether I can get that, and I can now it seems. I couldn't when I last looked - must see when virgin contract expires.

• hopkinb
    Though I see virgin also offer it to my address, might be easier to just give them a call and upgrade..
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2021
    hopkinb said:

I'd love to retire, travel, catch up on all the books I meant to read, do an OU degree, ride my bike, do some walking, cook.

Got to get our mortgage gone and the pension plans funded properly first though, and 8 years of school fees might make a dent in that progress!

I'm not talking "early" retirement, another 15 years as long as someone will employ me.

Uni fees aside, Mrs. 666 and juniors new found keenness to move house is likely to dent my plans.

On the upside, at least I'll continue getting paid for jobs that I do as Mrs. 666 will gladly find stuff for me to do if I have more spare time. I had a 1 year break about a decade back and found this out first hand. Some other people I know retired then went back to work for similar reasons.
  • elbowloh
    I was right to be skeptical. Engineer just says, I can install the line, but it's not going to work as there's no signal to the pole. He's reported it, but doesn't know how long it will take to fix it.

Marvelous.

What's the f@cking point.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Excellent news LD, site meeting shortly followed by much DIY at home.
    And hunting down a new headset.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • nibnob21
    elbowloh said:

I was right to be skeptical. Engineer just says, I can install the line, but it's not going to work as there's no signal to the pole. He's reported it, but doesn't know how long it will take to fix it.

Marvelous.

Please, don't flatter and encourage them by referring to them as 'Engineers'.
  • elbowloh
    nibnob21 said:

elbowloh said:

Marvelous.

Please, don't flatter and encourage them by referring to them as 'Engineers'.
    I normally try not to, having and engineering degree myself, but it's the vernacular in use innit.

I know some places in Europe and around the world the title "Engineer" has an equivalence with "Doctor", but not here.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Been a mixed few days. Builder bloke finished Monday, for this round of works anyway. Shame to spend that much money on drainage and stuff, but hey ho.

Installing skirting boards in the newly tiled living room. Have to (re-)design and fit balustrade plus a cabinet thing.

etc etc.

Still no riding. Meh.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Thanks for the good wishes lads, I only hope I don’t get bored and go after another job 😀
  • seanoconn
    The local milkman retired recently after 45 years in the job. He was dead inside two months. Must have been a shock to the system, no routine or reason to get out of bed.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    seanoconn said:

The local milkman retired recently after 45 years in the job. He was dead inside two months. Must have been a shock to the system, no routine or reason to get out of bed.

I was furloughed for a few weeks and felt the same. Was providing as much free labour as I could to worthy organisations just so I had something to do.

Anyway,

'Noon
    WFW
    Been for a swim which has ruined me.
    Bike ride later, but probably nothing notable.

• seanoconn
    thistle_ said:

seanoconn said:

I was furloughed for a few weeks and felt the same. Was providing as much free labour as I could to worthy organisations just so I had something to do.

Anyway,

'Noon
    WFW
    Been for a swim which has ruined me.
    Bike ride later, but probably nothing notable.

Haven’t you got a bike to be fixing!?
  • nibnob21
    MTB in the sun after work today :)

Fall into the trap every year after winter of thinking I'll be able to pick up directly where I left off from a few months before, then realise I'm rusty as fook and lack all skill.

Few local trips should sort me out, then I'll only be lacking almost all skill, instead of all skill, before heading to Wales for a few outings later in the year.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn said:

It does make you wondered how many oldies in BB would fall off their perch if the had nothing to do/felt useless.

Pinno and Wheelspinner must be clinging onto their perches by their fingernails/claws.