carbon fiber cleaning

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
I have learned a few things about carbon fiber cleaning. First off, I'm a fiddle player and cleaning a fiddle is a somewhat delicate thing. Recently I read and article about the somewhat new carbon fiber violins and bows that are coming out. For around 10,000 USD you can buy a top line carbon fiber violin and for 1000 USD you can buy a really good carbon bow. The article went out to say that one of the advantages of a carbon fiddle and bow is that they can be cleaned with Windex. Even pure ethanol will work very well. Made me think about all the posts here from people terrified to wash their bikes with anything more than water. It has always sort of amazed me the paranoia that new carbon bike owners have displayed. How to wash it? Oh my god, I've got a nick or chip in it? Will this or that lube cause my bike to melt? More than a few of you out there need to get a grip.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    rain makes carbon bikes warp.

FACT
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    So for a thousand dollars you get a carbon bows and 10 grand will get you a plastic violin. It seems a bit strange you bringing this up when you are usually banging about the 5th cat riders spending lots of money to go from 15th to 14th in the local crit.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You aren't cleaning the carbon fibre - you are cleaning whatever the carbon fibre is covered with - ie, clear coat, laquer, two-pack enamel or acrylic, etc. In other words, the exact same stuff that any other frame material is typically covered with.
  • dennisn
    webboo said:

So for a thousand dollars you get a carbon bows and 10 grand will get you a plastic violin. It seems a bit strange you bringing this up when you are usually banging about the 5th cat riders spending lots of money to go from 15th to 14th in the local crit.

Yes, that is true. Only brought the subject up to show the idiocy of people worrying about how to clean a carbon bike. And actually 1,000 for any bow and 10,000 for any fiddle is about what a professional player might pay for a quality instrument be it wood or cf.
  • dennisn

You aren't cleaning the carbon fibre - you are cleaning whatever the carbon fibre is covered with - ie, clear coat, laquer, two-pack enamel or acrylic, etc. In other words, the exact same stuff that any other frame material is typically covered with.

It can't be true. Every carbon fiber aficionado know that there is no way you can clean carbon fiber bikes like an ordinary bike we mortals would ride. IF what you say is true then this is BIG, really BIG, really NEW, news.